Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #121
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
No - I was - until they put NY on their uniforms. Once they put NY back on their uniform and felt that NJ was too low for them to admit their homestate - then I stopped being a fan.

Hell - I used to go to Giants Stadium. No more though.
“What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”
- William Shakespeare

Do you mean that you abandoned the Giants because they changed the logo on their helmets to NY? Those are retro uniforms and I really appreciate them. They remind me of the good old days of Huff, Schofner, Greer, Robustelli, Tittle, and Gifford.

And I've lived in New Jersey all my life.

I think your argument is more than a bit picayune.

And you never, ever were a true Giants fan. True fans are ruled by their hearts, not their heads.

Fear Complacency!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:20 PM   #122
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelrider110
“What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.”
- William Shakespeare
Hey right - let's ask a damn marketing person that question. And that's what sports are in a state - that is why millions of dollars are spent by communities to build stadiums - it's a way of advertising the community.
Quote:
Do you mean that you abandoned the Giants because they changed the logo on their helmets to NY? Those are retro uniforms and I really appreciate them. They remind me of the good old days of Huff, Schofner, Greer, Robustelli, Tittle, and Gifford.
Yes - I abondoned them because they would rather have people think of them as a New YORK team. If a rose by any other name would smell as sweet - then they should put NJ on their uniforms and proudly wear the initials of their home state.

Oh - and don't give me that crap about wanting to relive the good old days. They never won a Super Bowl with NY on their uniforms. So please - instead of rehashing the lie that they tried dishing out to make New Jerseyans feel better for the slap in the face they gave us - why don't you just look at reality. They play here because they got a stadium from us - but they'd rather be across the river. Well I said them go back over their - if it was so much better - they should have stayed in damn Yankee Stadium.

Quote:
And I've lived in New Jersey all my life.
Like that matters My cousin was and still is a fan of the damn rangers - even though suck and the Devils have won 3 Stanley Cups. Just because you're a New Jerseyan means nothing.
Quote:
I think your argument is more than a bit picayune.
You can think whatever you want. But when the Giants win the Super Bowl - who gets the recognition? New Jersey or New York? That's all I care about. I don't own any part of the team. The only part that I own is through our tax dollars that go to support their stadium - and in return - I expect them to give us some respect and recognition.
Quote:
And you never, ever were a true Giants fan. True fans are ruled by their hearts, not their heads.
I never said I was a true fan of the "giants" - I'm a fan of NJ. Would you still be a fan of the Giants if they moved to Calfornia? Let's ask Baltimore if they still care about the Colts.

I am very glad that both the Giants and Jets lost and I hope they continue to lose as long as they continue continue to play in NJ and wear NY on their uniforms.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-25-2005 at 05:23 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #123
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Super Bowl plans anyone?

We're having a big get-together. Hopeful that there's no repeat of the 'incident' at last year's halftime show. I kind of expect to see a parody of it along the way somewhere... but don't look forward to that.

How many of you non-Americans will be watching? Just curious... it seems like the international audience for it has gotten rather large. Crummy time for Europeans though... probably starts about midnight doesn't it? Goes until 3 or 4 am?? Hard to stay up for that unless you're really excited about it...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 02-04-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #124
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

since it's Paul McCartney, i doubt it

not sure where yet, but know i'm routin' for the pats
Old 02-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #125
barrelrider110

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
not sure where yet, but know i'm routin' for the pats
I'm with you, BJ. I live near Philly, and not an Eagle fan and I'm sick of hearing "E-A-G-L-E-S"
Everybody in work has been signing their emails with "Go Eagles"
I'll tell ya where they can go.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #126
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Well, I live in Massachusetts, temporarily, and the exact opposite effect occurs: Go Eagles, because I want the Pat fans to SHUT. UP. NOW.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #127
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

while i am definitely a pats fan... it's purely at game time... i don't even own a t-shirt
Old 02-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #128
barrelrider110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Well, I live in Massachusetts, temporarily, and the exact opposite effect occurs: Go Eagles, because I want the Pat fans to SHUT. UP. NOW.
Same effect, different city. I spent some time in NH. When you read the
Boston and Philly papers, you find the fans are just as myopic about their sports teams in both places [it's hard to get real news about out-of-town teams] and in both cities they're ready to jump off a bridge when things go awry. I'm orginally from NY, where there are fans of teams from all over. I remember when The Cowboys were really good, a lot of people jumped on that bandwagon and some are still there.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #129
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
since it's Paul McCartney, i doubt it ...
I was thinking in terms of a parody on a commercial or something.

Hey Barrelrider... what's that in your sig about being a friend of BEARS and a guest of EAGLES???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 02-04-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #130
barrelrider110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I was thinking in terms of a parody on a commercial or something.

Hey Barrelrider... what's that in your sig about being a friend of BEARS and a rider of EAGLES???
That's "guest of eagles."

It's a direct quote from the Hobbit, but it somehow fits now that you mention it.

Fear Complacency!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #131
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well I hope the Eagles win the game (New England has had ENOUGH sports luck recently thank you! ) but Im afraid that the Patriots will win though. I say 27-23 Patriots.

And I just want to take a second to tip my hat to surely one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game: Emmit Smith. Who retired yesterday. And after 18,355 yards Id say he deserves the massive broadcasting contract he should be getting from whatever network he wants.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #132
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i agree on emmit... and yeah, we have been a bit to lucky lately
Old 02-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #133
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Congrats Pats!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #134
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

another win! it doesn't seem real

boston people are gonna run out of stuff to whine about

good game too, i like the close ones... as long as we win
Old 02-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #135
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Welp that seals it: DYNASTY. No doubt about it...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:37 PM   #136
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Oh yeah, DYNASTY in all caps. No questions can be left.

Except when the Pats fans around here are going to stop claiming they are disrespected
Old 08-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #137
Valandil

I only saw yesterday that the Bears play in the "Hall of Fame" preseason game tonight - against the Miami Dolphins.

I think they're gonna get creamed.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-09-2005, 08:01 AM   #138
Valandil

Surprise, surprise... Bears pulled out a late win! The coach did something I thought was silly though... Rex Grossman is the declared starter. He is in his third year, shows good potential, but has only played in three games each of the last two seasons due to injuries. Many here think he needs a lot of time out on the field in the exhibition season, but Coach Smith decided to just play him a series or two. So... what happens (I saw this one coming) - the second and third string guys who got the rest of the time had better outings than he did! Ha - he's got a quarterback controversy on his hands already!

Hey - know what the Bears and Dolphins have in common? Both have fired Dave Wannstedt and both tried to hire Nick Saban (Bears struck out with him last year and hired Lovie Smith instead - Dolphins hired Saban for this year).

Now - with just a few days off, the Bears play their next exhibition game on Friday - against the St Louis Rams! OK... THIS time they're gonna get creamed!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 08-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #139
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Is anyone else tired of hearing about Terrell Owens? I sure am. If he was a premier player and getting paid a relatively small salary by NFL standards (such as San Diego tight end Antonio Gates, who is one of the best tight ends in the NFL and making $380,000 a year), I would be more understanding. Granted, $380,000 a year isn't pocket change, but I don't believe it's quite what one of the best players at a position should make. (Actually, I'm inclined to think that athletes are overpaid, but that's beside the point.) T.O. is holding out because of $7 million a year? ($49 million / 7 years = $7 million per year) Give me a break. That's not enough for you? Sure, people are paid more. Look at Peyton Manning ($99 million over 7 years). However, I don't remember him holding out for it. Quit whining and play the game. Don't forget that's what you're doing -- getting paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:34 AM   #140
Valandil

Yeah - I wasn't gonna mention him though... but then you went and blew it!

Seriously though... you wonder if these guys ever think about the alternative - NOT getting paid all that money to NOT play a game!

Here in Chicago our first round draft pick of a running back (Cedric Benson outta Texas) is a rookie hold-out. Familiar story here. Same thing happened with Rashan Salaam and Curtis Enis - and another one or two whose names I forget (tells you something, huh?). There was an article in the paper recently where Salaam is just pleading with the guy to get things wrapped up and get into camp - that his rookie hold-out greatly impacted his first year and led to his whole career being shorter than it could have been. Curtis Enis didn't talk to reporters, but apparently the millions he made in the NFL are all gone - and he's working a night shift at a small town factory in Ohio. Same thing for him - rookie hold-out and never really took off.

It seems like the career impact is even greater on these rookies who do it - but yes, you hate to see a name player like TO play that game - especially the year after signing a big contract with the team he did everything to get himself traded to! And I think a lot of his money was up front - in the first year - so he's getting less now than he did last year, but that was to allow for things with the salary cap. Like you - I wish he'd shut up and play. At least (unlike the rookie hold-outs) he HAS a contract, and he ought to honor it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court