Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #121
sun-star
Lady of Letters

To clarify for the third time: I don't mean debate here. I'm talking about our national discourse - the discussion which is carried on in the media and among the political classes, as well as on the internet.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:51 PM   #122
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i think i understand you now,

trying to read this, write an archaeology essay, and get stoned is not a good combination
Old 04-11-2005, 06:53 PM   #123
sun-star
Lady of Letters

LOL I love your sig btw.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #124
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
I'm half-asleep, you're half-drunk - now this is what I mean by grown-up debate!

well quite!

im gonna have to leave it for now - and though i think i understand where youre coming from a bit clearer now- i'm still not clear where i think you think i'm coming from is any clearer - and yes! who cares! - i agree - im ceratinlty no wishy washy have' ne' ground te' stand on scottish free fer all wally etc -

i still do not see ( admit i havent reveiwed the psosts) but what is the problem with taking a comic (maybe not original or even "GROWN-UP" - GOD HELP US - ) idea and - forgive us - having some fun with it? - if you don't find it funny fair'enough - but is there some NAZI style morality imposed on the MOOt imposing rigid concepts of either humour or ettiquette? ARE WE NOT FREE TO HAVE AN INNOCENT LAUGH WITHOUT CENSURE?

... or is that in some innocent way Hegemonic thought control?

ps saw the BBC "queen's castle" s/fac on Sun pm with the marriage inserts: on a human level its refreshingly heartwarming,
(not the production)

but should we have a Monarchy? All that held in trust? ETC

interested to know your opinions ( Ps i have had a strong coffee! - nothing like some accurate pointless trviia for you - well at least it's in tune with the subject re: the press!))
Old 04-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #125
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I think this is devolving into politics and not the intent of the original statement. Perhaps we might re-think this?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:14 AM   #126
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm not trying to stop you having a laugh, Butterbeer, just pointing out a problem I have with the way (I'm saying it for the fourth time now) national debate is carried on. I actually think republicans could get what they want, or at least some of it, if they expended their energy on making a case, putting forward alternatives etc. rather than jokes, but obviously that's up to them. However, they don't get to call a republic more 'grown-up' than a monarchy unless they can act (according to their own definition of what it means) grown-up themselves.

And now to oblige our new mod, I will shut up and leave you all in peace. Thanks for your time - maybe I should have been in the venting thread
Old 04-12-2005, 04:27 AM   #127
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Here's a possible example of a mature response to the issue of Charles and Camilla getting married:
"Well, I don't like either of them (though of course I don't know them personally and can't really judge), but surely the more important issue is whether we should have a monarchy at all / whether it's appropriate for the monarch to be Supreme Governer of the Church of England / whether succession should pass directly to the eldest son of the monarch regardless of his suitability for the job".
Well, next time we'll know to pass our comments past you for vetting.
Quote:
Personally, I prefer that to "Let's have a republic because Prince Charles has big ears and Camilla looks like a horse".
Aren't you aware of the importance of satire in political discourse? What about Hogarth? The monarchy is a ridiculous institution so what better method for pointing this out than ridicule? In fact, it may well be the ONLY way to put the argument forward effectively.

However, like I said, it's not the republicans who bring the discussion to that level, it's the (pro-monarchy) newspapers and gossipmongers.

Quote:
I care about the way people - any people - say what they think, because it's an insult to our collective intelligence to conduct national debate in this way.
Welcome to Britain.

Seriously though. No-one cares about republicanism. In fact, if you voice it you get abused, either for being boring or seditious. I nearly got my head kicked in by a bunch of squaddies once for not standing for the National Anthem.
"Why aren't you standing?"
"Because I favour an elected head of state rather than elitist system of inherited power and patronage"
"Get up you ****ing commie ****"
"No"
etc
Old 04-12-2005, 06:21 AM   #128
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
I think this is devolving into politics and not the intent of the original statement. Perhaps we might re-think this?
well that's very logical Mr Spock - ok

Quote:
sun-star:
I'm not trying to stop you having a laugh, Butterbeer, just pointing out a problem I have with the way (I'm saying it for the fourth time now) national debate is carried on. I actually think republicans could get what they want, or at least some of it, if they expended their energy on making a case, putting forward alternatives etc. rather than jokes, but obviously that's up to them. However, they don't get to call a republic more 'grown-up' than a monarchy unless they can act (according to their own definition of what it means) grown-up themselves.
LOL:i was drunk anyway (and you don't get anymore quintissentially British than that!)

Last edited by Butterbeer : 04-12-2005 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 AM   #129
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Open For Business Once More

"Cry ' Havoc ' and let slip the dogs of war".

Last edited by Spock : 04-13-2005 at 09:33 PM. Reason: All is as it was before.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #130
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:

well, *embarrased* feel i should really post something here!

Firstly ( that sounds ominous in terms of length eh?
good quote: havoc and certainly (on my behalf true: Let slipref: open postings: sorry!)

well thank-you for re-opening the thread!
much appreciated - and if i may say so, on balance - a good decision so my respects for that!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 04-14-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #131
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffer
Seriously though. No-one cares about republicanism. In fact, if you voice it you get abused, either for being boring or seditious. I nearly got my head kicked in by a bunch of squaddies once for not standing for the National Anthem.
"Why aren't you standing?"
"Because I favour an elected head of state rather than elitist system of inherited power and patronage"
"Get up you ****ing commie ****"
"No"
etc
they make it seem like having left leaning views is a bad thing!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #132
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
allright, General Chang!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:12 PM   #133
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
allright, General Chang!

who's general chang?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #134
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
who's general chang?
Klingon Chief of Military Staff/Chief Security Officer to the Chancellor in
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

before attempting to blow the enterprise out of the skies, he let's out that great shakespearian cry
"Cry Havoc!, and let slip the dogs of war!"
Old 04-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #135
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Klingon Chief of Military Staff/Chief Security Officer to the Chancellor in
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

before attempting to blow the enterprise out of the skies, he let's out that great shakespearian cry
"Cry Havoc!, and let slip the dogs of war!"

thats a right royal carry on then: just like Henry V!
maybe the klingons are pro-royalists: actaully i think they are aren' they?
could you imaginne the child of such an unholy unioin: camilla and klingon general chang!

imagine the stamps and coins when (it) grew up!
"god save our ... er ... "

if you could have any star trek character as a replacment to charlie boy who would it be and why? (this sounds a bit like blind date now! mind you in context so was charlie and diana really)
Old 04-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #136
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

any ST character?

erm, Kahless, the first Klingon Emperor, who is said to return when the Empire will need him most
Old 04-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #137
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

We are just a tad bit off topic here, guys.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 04-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #138
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I heard on the radio yesterday, that the people who did Camilla's hat, are the same people who do Marylin Manson's clothes!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 04-18-2005, 09:17 PM   #139
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I heard on the radio yesterday, that the people who did Camilla's hat, are the same people who do Marylin Manson's clothes!

well this is the point isn't it really?: is this the monarchy in a nutshell? Jug ears meets Noddy, meats Camilla, meets maylin manson!

and with respect SGH this is on-point: the debate is not so much about republicanism verus the monarchy (its not a simple 2 way struggle: a tug of war (though apt) or an American football game, or the FA cup final or the oxford /cambridge boat race etc) its about the actual people, their personalities and how they are percieved individually:this debate personifies these individiuals THAT ARE TO RULE OVER US at least in theory! To me its a very personal look at the people themselves and how others see them: and just what this shows us about our system of governence and how we relate to it ( for my part i rather like the absurdity of it and enjoy sharing this point of view) but as cultural or media icons or as simple figure-heads or serious leaders in their own right, i welcome the exploration in personal, and if necessary humourous terms, of what these people and icons mean to others and how they relate to them on both personal and political or cultural grounds.
This to me is both socially and culturally more revealing and interesting than a mere locking of antlers of entrenched positions over A or B!

If LCOU would actually prefer a Klingon or Kahless to Charlie boy then this has a resonance in itself: even more so when you consider the impact of its meaning: an Authurian legend of a Klingon King: who will arise to defend Albion in it's dire need? ( obviously we are not talking of bryan Robson here!)

(note: bryan robson is manager of struggling premiership team west bromwich albion FC)

to see Sun star actually point out eloquent and convincing arguments against her position is both refreshing and a testament to the loosley-drawn remit of this thread and it ability to open new avenues of discussion and concepts in debate without becoming tired or overly pompous ( in relaion to the subject matter: i.e the monarchy ot perhaps more pertinently its supporters in genreral) and therefore exactly relates to our subject matter: if we consider charlie as a person (rather than as the Heir) brought up in a straight jacket of a family, society and culture and liking the Goons etc we can feel some sympathy for him: but the question here is culturally do marylyn manson, a horse, a jug eared half-wit, prince charles, camilla and Kesh the once and future Klingon all fit in the same sentence or not? and how far a diversion, given we have no choice in it, is the question would we prefer a (fictional) klingon or whoever else on the throne to who-ever will be on the throne!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #140
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
LOL!

(but her long dress/cloak thing was VERY pretty!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Closed Thread