Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM   #121
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
You have your gentleness of character and open ever unhostile approach to posting to back that up with as far as Im concerned. Of course you may not be able to if your wording is clipped each and every time you speak. Alas...
IR, I have already explained to Hemel off the board as to why I did the edit and I have spoke to Rian by phone as to why I did it. So why don't you find out my reasons, off the board, before you make remarks about something that's being handled behind the scenes that you know nothing about?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:31 PM   #122
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Well aint karma a bitch.

Hypocrisy does not hold long as we have seen here. And the tyranny of and censure by the minority is not lost on the intelligent posters that we have here. Of all people to pick on unfairly but Hemel? How sad...

Hemel you may call me a USAmerican if you wish. I dont find insult in it. I accept your genuine statement that it is not meant as an insult. You have your gentleness of character and open ever unhostile approach to posting to back that up with as far as Im concerned. Of course you may not be able to if your wording is clipped each and every time you speak. Alas...
Again you have nothing worth saying except to stick your nose into a conversation which wasn't dealing with you and make your snide little comments directed at me. As for what she can call you - she can call you whatever the hell she wants - but I will not be referred to as a USAmerican.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #123
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
And to an idealist they will never be realized because nothing in life will ever be 100% perfect. So I guess you have the sad life ahead of you.
Yes, I suppose I do.

Quote:
I do think it should be kept in - I think it does no harm to have it in. It doesn't go against the Constitution or anything. The MAJORITY want it in and no one is making you say it anyway.
Then why did you complain about me saying that you thought it should be kept in?

Quote:
And no one makes you sayd "god" in the pledge. You see how that works, You are FREE to say or not to say it.
Yep.

Quote:
I know many indians - I know how many feel. How many do you know personally? Have you ever been on a reserve? I've stay on one all the time with my friend trish. It's the small minority of Indians who complain about the past, instead of working toward the future. It's the same with blacks.
Well, it depends on what you consider "indian." Culturely, no, you're right. I don't know any true Indians. However, if you'll include someone who grew up on a reservation, thinks like an Indian, and practically is an Indian in everything except blood, then I have to say yes. I live with one.

I'm not commenting on the rest of it, JD. Whatever it looks like, I really don't like to fight with you.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:39 PM   #124
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElemmÃ*rë
Then why did you complain about me saying that you thought it should be kept in?
You said I said that I wished to have it kept in - which I hadn't said that. I don't have a problem with it - the majority feels it should stay in - I don't really care. I think it's a liberal-whiner thing and I don't see the importance of changing it when people can just choose not to say "under god".
Quote:
Well, it depends on what you consider "indian." Culturely, no, you're right. I don't know any true Indians. However, if you'll include someone who grew up on a reservation, thinks like an Indian, and practically is an Indian in everything except blood, then I have to say yes. I live with one.
Se I've actually experienced being on the reservation myself. I have many friends who are indian. I have been to trishes house before they even had running water (she lives in Canada). Had to use an outhouse, get our water form the well - all that. Indians by the way - don't have to live on the reserve - and Trish grew up off the reserve - but went back to take care of her grandfather in the middle of college.
Quote:
I'm not commenting on the rest of it, JD. Whatever it looks like, I really don't like to fight with you.
I didn't really wish to fight with you - but I hate the term USAmerican - bottomline.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 10:42 PM   #125
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

My grandfather grew up on a reservation. He doesn't hate this country, or anything. He just thinks some things (especially the military) could be more efficient. And I agree with him.

Quote:
I didn't really wish to fight with you - but I hate the term USAmerican - bottomline.
Good!

USAmerican... I don't mind it, but it looks kind of ugly...

You still haven't passed judgement on "Erykian", by the way. I kind of like it, myself.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 02-22-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:07 PM   #126
jerseydevil

Quote:
My grandfather grew up on a reservation. He doesn't hate this country, or anything. He just thinks some things (especially the military) could be more efficient. And I agree with him.
Yes - the military can be more efficient. BTW - I have met more Indians who support the US than dwell on the past when we were enemies.

Quote:
Good!

USAmerican... I don't mind it, but it looks kind of ugly...

You still haven't passed judgement on "Erykian", by the way. I kind of like it, myself.
Erykian is just too ridiculou for words - I felt it required no comment. If I can't stand USAmerican - then why would you think I would be okay with Erykian. At least that is obviously a joke one and not something where people are actually trying to change what we are called.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-22-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #127
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Erykian is just too ridiculou for words - I felt it required no comment. If I can't stand USAmerican - then why would you think I would be okay with Erykian. At least that is obviously a joke one and not something where people are actually trying to change what we are called.
Yes, it is a joke. But all the same, it's just a name. In the long run, the only reason you can consider it ridiculous is because it's not the name in use. I don't think the name is inherently ridiculous.

BTW, I'm sure you've mentioned it a thousand times, but I'm just lazy. Why do you hate the term "USAmerican"?

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-22-2005, 11:23 PM   #128
jerseydevil

Quote:
BTW, I'm sure you've mentioned it a thousand times, but I'm just lazy. Why do you hate the term "USAmerican"?
It's a long story really, but the main thing is that it's people taking it upon themselves to change what we are called because they think that everyone in the western hemisphere are americans - and therefore we have no right to use the name "americans". Hemel was told by one Canadian she had talked to and they had said they had a problem with her using American and so she changed it. However - the canadians on this board laughed at that and said it was ridiculous - that they do not consider themselves american - nor do they call themselves americans and when someone says americans - they don't get confused and think they might be referring to canadians.

The other reason why I hate it - was about 10 years ago these liberal university professor types were trying to get the word american erased out of text books (along with founding fathers, indians and other words). No one is confused by the name America or American - they know exactly who they are talking about. When on the news they report that the american flag was being burned in a demonstration - no one is thinking "my god they're burning the canadian flag"

If people have respect for others - they will respect our proper name - which is American and not take it upon themselves to try to change something that doesn't need to be chnaged - nor is it any of their business to try changing.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-22-2005, 11:28 PM   #129
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Your arguments certainly make sense. I, of course, have big issues with "political correctness" in general.

Another question, JD, and this is just my lack of good history teachers in high school shining through:

How old are the terms "North America" and "South America"? Do you know if they were in use before the Revolution, or are they something that came about after?

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-22-2005, 11:42 PM   #130
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
IR, I have already explained to Hemel off the board as to why I did the edit and I have spoke to Rian by phone as to why I did it. So why don't you find out my reasons, off the board, before you make remarks about something that's being handled behind the scenes that you know nothing about?
Behind the scenes? So Im supposed to disbelieve my own eyes and simply assume its not a case of blatant one sided hypocrisy? Id love that to be the case because its very sad otherwise. So why keep it in such secrecy? I dont get it? If you dont want me in the loop thats fine. If the subject for some reason requires great secrecy then thats yer call. I wouldnt know. But we both know it LOOKS awful so I dont really see why keeping it without public explanation helps. But like you said you control the shots.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:59 PM   #131
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Behind the scenes? So Im supposed to disbelieve my own eyes and simply assume its not a case of blatant one sided hypocrisy? Id love that to be the case because its very sad otherwise. So why keep it in such secrecy? I dont get it? If you dont want me in the loop thats fine. If the subject for some reason requires great secrecy then thats yer call. I wouldnt know. But we both know it LOOKS awful so I dont really see why keeping it without public explanation helps. But like you said you control the shots.
There is no secret. It is a problem that is being worked out off the board. Working out moderating issues has no place on the forums, in threads, or on the board. Your sarcasm is overwhelming. What blatant, one sided hypocrisy?

It has nothing to do with you being in or out of the loop. It has to do with moderating issues that I am making an effort to resolve to the satisfaction of everyone concerned with this, namely JD, Hemel, Rian, and myself. Is that okay with you?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:08 AM   #132
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Re: the terms North America and South America - they're pretty old (in fact, on the original map that has "America" on it, it only refers to, ironically, South America. North America has a different name, which I can't recall right now). The terminology dates, I think, from just about when people figured out that there were basically two (barely) connected landmasses there, but were already used to calling all of the territory out West "America."

I'm pretty sure it predates the USA.

ON topic: I am glad to live in a country where I can mingle with people of whatever race and creed I want.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:43 AM   #133
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
hahahahaha how very appropriate
excellent posts Hemel.
/me echoes what he said.

The irony is killin' me, folks.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:48 AM   #134
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Would someone (JD or an admin) please edit out "Euro-whiner"? I find that offensive and inaccurate. I am aware of no state called "Euro-whiner".
I find "euro-whiner" to be offensive as well. I echo Rian's request to have that post edited, as per Hemel's 'offensive' US-American editing.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 AM   #135
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I find "euro-whiner" to be offensive as well. I echo Rian's request to have that post edited, as per Hemel's 'offensive' US-American editing.
Well if USAmerican isn't used then I won't use the term Euro-Whiner. Many people don't find USAmerican to be offensive and I find much truth in the Euro-whiner term.

Well I don't know of any nationality called USAmericans either, so I guess we just make up names of what we wish to call people - and I chose Euro-whiner. You mean people have a problem with it. I have friends who are Euro-whiners - believe me when I say I mean in it in the utmost respect possible. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Ask Jonathan - I always call him a Euro-whiner as well as many other of my european friends and they dosn't care so I don't see why anyone else should.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-23-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:13 AM   #136
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
/me echoes what he said.

The irony is killin' me, folks.
How is it ironic - the thread is about freedom from government, private organizations can set their own rules of conduct. Millane was bitching about a lack of freedom because theaters don't always show controversal movies. Isn't it their right as OWNERS of the theater to determine what THEY will show? See - some people have no problem with infringing on the rights of the theaters in determining what they wish to show.

You and others are also ignorant of the whole concept of the thread - but it really doesn't surprise me. As I said - since everyone thinks it's ironic that hemel was censored on using USAmerican and they feel she should be allowed to say it - then I should be allowed to use the term Euro-whiner, along with kraut and many other names (see in the US I am free to say those names if i wish and since I live in the America - under the Constitution of the United States - 1st Amendment thank you - I feel I should be able to now since everyone wants to bitch that hemel should be allowed to use USAmerican and that if she isn't - then her freedoms are being infringed upon). I see nothing wrong with saying Euro-whiner - it doesn't bother me and if you stop me while saying that Hemel's USAmerican crap is no big deal - then you are infringing on my freedoms of - how did someone put - oh yes - "freedom of expression" .

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-23-2005 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:24 AM   #137
jerseydevil

Since the topic has turn into another let's talk about the lack of freedom and the trash on america - I think we shold crap all over the rest of the world now - so what about the lack of freedom in that german state. They can't even buy Mein Kampf, books are banned, political parties are banned. In the EU state Britain they have spy cameras and no one thinks anything about it. In France - a supposed free state of the EU - they have outlawed muslims from wearing headscarves in public buildings. That means - hospitals, courtrooms, schools, any public building. They can't even request a woman doctor in France. So much for freedom there. Oh and in that British State - as LCoU said - they can actually arrest you for something you say - racial, or religious slur, so so much for free speech and free expression there.

BTW - we've been through USAmerican before - and she knows I can't stand it - yet she even had the nerve to actually use it for no reason in this thread. She can use American if she has as much respect for Americans as she claims. She can curse out americans and everything else - use USAmerican in her own state - but does that mean she should be allowed to do it on an AMERICAN board? There are a bunch of EU boards out there she can go to. She can gon and on about how arrogant Americans - oh excuse me - she would say "USAmericans" are. I don't really care. I find it arrogant that she continues to use it when no one calls us that assinine term. We are and have always been called "Americans".

So much for a simple ass question - "What makes you thankful to live in a free country?" Few seem to be able to answer that - most seem to just want to bitch about how there basically is no freedom and how basically no one is happy of where they live. You guys seem to be a very miserable lot, I hope someday you find happiness in where you live, because hell - if you can't be happy in the freest countries in the world - then you aren't going to be happy anywhere.

One of the things I think that gets to you guys is that you want to define your freedom in your terms, and don't like to accept when people define freedom different than yours. You don't mind banning things you disagree with - such as guns, or fox hunting or right winfg political groups. That's all understandable - but hell they better not ban the solialist party or the communist party.

Anyway - people can't have freedom as long as you are so mindless that you are easily controlled by your peers. That to you is a lack of freedom - when in actually - it's merely trying to fit in with a crowd. Which in my mind is shallow. NO one is forcing you to wear certain clothes, have a certain haircut, get a tattoo or body piercing. True friends will stand by you no matter what. So who the hell are you trying to impress? Someone who the moment you dress wrong or have the nerve to talk to someone outside your little circle of friends - will be talking about you behind your back? Freedom isn't always given - sometimes it's earned and if you are a slave to your peers - that's no one elses fault but your own.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-23-2005 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:18 AM   #138
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

This is off-topic, but I would like to commend SGH for sticking with this situation and trying to resolve it, instead of throwing up her hands, saying we can all go to a place that doesn't exist according to many people's beliefs , and not moderating anymore.

I may disagree with her sometimes (certainly not very often - I think she is an excellent admin), but I certainly commend her for bearing the vast, vast majority of moderating responsibilities (unpaid), and doing a great job. Let's remember that no one is perfect, and she does a darn good job, and that if any of us became a moderator, we'd make mistakes sometimes, too. This is a good community - let's all give up a little ground for the benefit of the greater good of the community.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:28 AM   #139
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
This is off-topic, but I would like to commend SGH for sticking with this situation and trying to resolve it, instead of throwing up her hands, saying we can all go to a place that doesn't exist according to many people's beliefs , and not moderating anymore.

I may disagree with her sometimes (certainly not very often - I think she is an excellent admin), but I certainly commend her for bearing the vast, vast majority of moderating responsibilities (unpaid), and doing a great job. Let's remember that no one is perfect, and she does a darn good job, and that if any of us became a moderator, we'd make mistakes sometimes, too. This is a good community - let's all give up a little ground for the benefit of the greater good of the community.
Yes and let's hear it for her excellent decission regarding the banishment of the assinine deragatory non-existant USAmerican term.

Hmm - when I go to websters online and I look up USAmerican - it says no such term is found (I wonder why - since I'm now told by so many people that it's used for my nationality). It then asks - "did you mean American? Which seems to be the exact question I'm asking.

Quote:
USAmerican

No entry found for usamerican.

Did you mean American?
Suggestions:
American
U Americana
un-American
Americana
A Americana
O Americana
So - anyway - so much for USAmerican being a valid word. It means nothing - except as a deratory term for Americans because some people around the world have taken it upon themselves to determine what we are to be called.

After they change our nationality's name - what will be next they'll be bitching about and wanting to change for us?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-23-2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:50 AM   #140
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
One of the things I think that gets to you guys is that you want to define your freedom in your terms, and don't like to accept when people define freedom different than yours.
Anyone who has questioned the definition of freedom on this thread has been told in no uncertain terms that their contribution is not welcome.

I don't think it's Hemel who has a problem with not liking other people's definitions of freedom.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote