Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2003, 11:14 PM   #121
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Nevertheless, it makes for a great conversation piece, IMO.

I think I'll get another copy of the US (Scholastic) edition and sell it as a collectible in a few yrs time. It'll probably fetch a niftier price if you talk to the right people.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 11:26 PM   #122
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Arathorn! Long time no see bouncing boot.
What'd you think of Book 5?

Btw, I finished Jane Eyre (go me!) and came across the word "ejaculated" used in that sense (in place of "said" or "yelled") at least four more times. For ladies, too.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:13 AM   #123
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Hi Tano!

<hem hem>

I enjoyed Book 5 for all the surprises it sprang. But I think I enjoyed those revelations a lot more than the main plot. As with Sheeana, I still enjoyed book 3 the best and it's sort of a toss-up between books 4 and 5 for the number 2 slot.

I like/hate the new characters. Well, I liked all the new characters, good and bad, but there's nothing to hate more than that <hem hem> toad.

My favorite has now been replaced. Sirius is now my 2nd favorite character to (don't laugh too hard) Luna! She's one of the most cumfy of all the people there. She must have been exposed to some nirvana state as everything's just fine and dandy with her.

And Nymphadora's loads of fun too, heheh.

I do hope they keep developing Neville's character. He's starting to come out of his shell. Perhaps one of his parents gets back to normal?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 07-05-2003 at 12:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:21 AM   #124
Alassë Elensar
Sapling

I finished the book long ago, but have not been on in awhile. I like the book overall. Percey was an arse. Fred, George, and Peeves were incredible. The sixth book isn't going to be the same without the twins. Umbridge was terrifically evil. And Dumbledore... just magnificent.
Luna was interesting and I'm really liking the way that Neville's character is developing.
I read a spoiler while I was only partway through the book, so... I spent the last half of it dreading the death of... yeah. That. Sleep is good.
Wars&Swords&StreetLampSonatas

To be seen is to lie yourself bare before the world.
Alassë Elensar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 02:34 AM   #125
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I live in America. I guess from reading British novels I have learned to not see the sexual content in everything. It's a skill.
It's not the fact that it's making "fuss" over it - it's the fact that in AMERICA we do not use the word in the context in which it has been used. I assumed it was that way in the British editions. If it is not then it makes it even more strange. Sorry - but the only time ejaculated is used in the US is in the sexual manner. It's not reading sex into - it's just the way it is used in the US 99.99999999% of the time. I'm sure you can find the small percentage of times when it is used in it's other term - but I have never come across it in a book, nor in speech.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-05-2003 at 02:36 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:01 AM   #126
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

For all of you that are complaining that we won't see as much Fred and George because they left - are you forgetting that it was their 7th year? They just wanted to leave with a bang because of Umbridge and they were sick of school - they only left a month or two early. (im pretty sure that it was, if I am wrong just correct me )

They were going to finish their schooling that year ANYWAY and they wouldn't be back at Hogwarts the next year, now would they?

And I, like JD, assumed that ejaculated must have been part of the original British text. It is never used here in that context - why changed it from 'exclaimed,' which is used all the time.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 10:43 AM   #127
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Me thinks Fred and George ought to be back but probably not in Hogwarts itself. They should open a franchise next to the joke shop in Hogsmead(sp?). They know the market and have a captured one when the students go out.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 07-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #128
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The joke shop will make a good venue for further story lines. I'm sure F&G's skills will come in handy in the last two installments.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:51 PM   #129
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

If they get sucessful enough, they can always buy the jokeshop in Hogsmeade.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:26 PM   #130
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I sincerely doubt that Gred and Forge will not be around. I think them having a shop in Hogsmeade would be awesome.
Plus I can just see them forcing a canary cream down Voldemort's throat..."I am the Lord of Darkness! I am invinci--TWEET!"

Arathorn: YAY! Another Luna lover! I adore that child. She makes me very happy.

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 07-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #131
Cirdan

Luna is great! Definitely a personality type that was too long in coming. I think she would be a good romantic interest for Neville. I think the HP+ LL allusion at the end of the book is a diversion.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-05-2003, 09:16 PM   #132
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Neville and Luna would be sweet...but it's really hard for me to see Luna "with" anyone. She seems a very single soul, in that sense anyway.
HP and LL would be ridiculous. I hope that doesn't happen...

tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 07-05-2003, 09:48 PM   #133
Cirdan

It may be she is the other half of the Neville equation like Ron and Hermione are paired as the lead supporting cast. They do have the crazy family element in common, and Neville is a loner for the most part, too. I don't think it would happen becuase it would be a distraction from Harry and... Hermione?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 07-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #134
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

What?? No more Hermy and Grawpy??

Luna's great to be a kid sister, for me. She can take care of her emotional self. Perhaps being both the loner types, she and Neville can help each other learn to interact more with other people.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 07-11-2003, 04:22 PM   #135
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I love Fred and George's swamp on the corridor and how Pro Flitwick left a corner in memory of them! lol!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #136
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Me thinks Fred and George ought to be back but probably not in Hogwarts itself. They should open a franchise next to the joke shop in Hogsmead(sp?). They know the market and have a captured one when the students go out.
But they have premises in Diagon Alley...

My favorite character list would be as follows:

1) McGonagall
2) Umbridge
3) Luna
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #137
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
But they have premises in Diagon Alley...

My favorite character list would be as follows:

1) McGonagall
2) Umbridge
3) Luna
They don't have to give the Diagon Ally premises. They can just expand. Hogsmmmeade (sp?) looks like a very good spot to do research and experiment on students, heheh.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 07-13-2003, 09:07 AM   #138
Elf Girl
Lurker

But even so, they're not made of gold. They've already spent 'a good bit' of the Triwizard money, and premises in Hogsmeade must be as expensive if not more so then Diagon Alley. They'll have to wait a few years, until they start making a profit.

And why would they open a shop right next to Zonko's? Thats heavy competition. I would put mine waaaaay over on the other side of town.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:10 AM   #139
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
But even so, they're not made of gold. They've already spent 'a good bit' of the Triwizard money, and premises in Hogsmeade must be as expensive if not more so then Diagon Alley. They'll have to wait a few years, until they start making a profit.

And why would they open a shop right next to Zonko's? Thats heavy competition. I would put mine waaaaay over on the other side of town.
Why shouldn't they open a shop next to Zonko's in Hogsmeade? Hogsmeade has less people going there than Diagon Ally so it might even be cheaper. They're biggest clients are from the school and they would be the "alternative" jokeshop to Zonko's since they've been inventing their own stuff.

And besides, it's Fred and George.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 07-13-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:24 AM   #140
Elf Girl
Lurker

Well, we'll see. (In another 3 years, most likely! A pox on JKR!)

I just realized, if it takes her another 3 years, I will be the same age as Harry when the next one comes out.