Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2001, 02:24 PM   #121
Lief Erikson

Re: Early books

I doubt it. I'm afraid you've left some dreadful spoilers, but oh well. I usually look for a way to say what I mean without giving it away to new readers.

I wonder what'll happen where Mazrim Taim is concerned, and how he connects to Lews Therin. He might be someone reborn, or he might be someone else who we know already.

I wonder how the main characters are going to convince most of the Aes Sedai that Saidin is clean. And what'll happen with the Black Ajah in the White Tower. Things are certainly becoming very interesting. And the closer we get to the end, the more exciting things will get.
Old 08-04-2001, 01:20 AM   #122
Manwe Sulimo

Sorry... Forgot myself... tried to edit away some of the most mayor spoilers... ok now?

As for Taim... I can't remember if we are told in the Choedan Kal chapter, but... there was some speculation, I remember, as to him being one of the thirteen in disguise?

As for trying to convince Aes Sedai, that is so to speak impossible, so I too look forward to that one...
I wonder how long unntill we reach the end, though...
Anyone know how many books there are gonna be?
Old 08-04-2001, 07:48 AM   #123
Lief Erikson

Got me. Maybe Mathron knows.

I don't think there was any outright speculation about Taim in the books themselves, but you could easily have collected it from a discussion somewhere else. All they say is that he wants Ashaman to kill Rand. But I suspect he is one of the thirteen and Lews Therin has a reason to hate him.

Is Ironparrot still here, or is he waiting to read all of the books before looking in on us again? Just knowing would be nice.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:00 AM   #124
Manwe Sulimo

I did get a lot of speculation from other fans a while back then, so it might have been from there or something...

As far as I know, anything can be possible... Taim might just have been tempted by "the Dark Side"...
Old 08-05-2001, 05:06 PM   #125
Mathron

I don't think Taim was one of the forsaken, mainly because there didn't really seem to be any left he *could* be. Still, could certainly be possible.

As for number of books, I don't know - I've heard rumor that he may only be halfway done! So, once again, it is something yet to be known.
Old 08-05-2001, 09:45 PM   #126
Manwe Sulimo

Hmm... I hope he's more than halfway through, really... I can't imagine what he's gonna fill nine more books with... :/

As for the 13, we do not know where they are at all times, so he might change roles, kinda... being Taim sometimes, and changing into one of the thirteen the next minute? there are ways that that is possible, aren't there?
Old 08-06-2001, 01:14 AM   #127
easterlinge

Re: The Wheel of Time

YOu know, with saidin cleansed, men channellers will no longer go mad. This would deprive the Red Ajah of a reason for existing, so what will they do now?

I see something grand coming.... I think Rand will unite the fragmented Aes Sedai Ajahs with his Asha'man.... and re-establish the male Aes Sedai.

100++ posts in the WOT thread.... it'll end up beating "the Hobbit" forum soon..... Should there be a separate forum for the Whel of Time?

Old 08-06-2001, 04:56 AM   #128
Lief Erikson

You know, that really is a cool idea of what might happen with the White Tower. I also expect that they'll end up clearing this war issue up fairly simply. You know, Egwene and her followers declared war on Elaida. However, once inside the tower it is found out who has really been giving orders, they might be able to dump all the blame on Alviarin and the Black Ajah. Then the tower would go through a purging, Elaida probably be demoted for her obeying the Black Ajah, however unaware she was. Egwene probably be able to take power from Elaida and Rand's Ashaman become Aes Sedai.

The Blue Ajah would then be reestablished and all the Red Ajah sisters enter some new Ajah. With the Ashaman having become Aes Sedai and Egwene the ruler of the White Tower, that would rather closely link Rand's and Egwene's causes too, which would make them all the stronger for it. With the Dragon Reborn and the White Tower united, other nations would bow and the world would likely be united to face Tarmon Gaidon. Mat's connection with the Daugher of Nine Moons will also help with the uniting of the nations, obviously. What will happen where the Whitecloaks are concerned is too difficult for me to predict at this time. Them and many other factors, but this White Tower issue is interesting to speculate about.

And then there are the Forsaken to think about. Through the last two books Moridin has been putting them under his thumb, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with them united. We might, just might be seeing one or two of the Forsaken leaving the Dark One's side and joining the Dragon Reborn. It's just a possibility, but now that they don't need the Dark One's protection, they might do that. It'd be great for Rand to have an instructor again. Someone who is willing to teach him the powers from the Age of Legends.

I really wonder what will become of Lanfear. Whether she'll join Rand's side in the end or die fighting. It's really funny how she was always offering them power and glory, but they said no. Now they're getting it all anyway, without her.

If you do make another forum for The Wheel of Time, it'll probably have two topics. One: Discussion without spoilers. Two: Discussion with spoilers.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:19 AM   #129
Manwe Sulimo

I agree, Asha'Man and Aes Sedai will probably be joining forces soon, now that Rand can prove to Egwene that saidin is clean, and they can work together on taking the tower back from Elaida.

As I think I said earlier, I too have been thinking about that maybe some of the forsaken will be joinig forces with Rand, to get away from Moridin.

Lanfear Might be that one of the Forsaken most likely to join powers with Rand, even if she hates him for not joining her earlier, she still loves him. But I think that if she does, there will be full war between her and Min/Elayne/Aviendha, since she surely will want him for herself...

I think there would be more than two threads there... If we had an entire forum too discuss this in, we would probably make one topic to discuss the future of the Asha'Man's, one for Lanfear, one for the forsaken etc...
Old 08-09-2001, 01:37 AM   #130
Ancalimon81

I loved the WoT. First three books were my favorite, although Lord of Chaos was also very good. Path of Daggers was half done in my opinion..anyways..

One thing I dont' understand is why Egwene and Rand stopped loving each other over night? It never developed it at all. He falls in love with Elayne/Min/Aviendha at first sight...yeah come on...suuure...

Egwene and Rand's love was much more developed. Explain the scene in the Great Hunt where they part at the beginning.

Is Robert Jordan playing tricks?

Elayne annoys me. She is so stuck up. And Nynaeve...I like her but she needs to take some prozac or something.

Mat is the funniest character in the history of fantasy, no doubt about that. I love all of his scenes..

Best line: "Kneel, or you will be knelt!"...wow..so significant...Rand going from fearing and being the puppet of Aes Sedai to this...

One thing I noticed, RJ foreshadows a lot and it always comes to pass. Yet both Egwene and Elayne had foreshadowing of bonding Rand. Remember Egwene asking Rand to be her warder when she became Aes Sedai in EoTW? And then Elayne just wants to bond him.

Favorite characters: Mat Cauthon, Lan and Egwene...Ishamael was great too.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:20 AM   #131
Lief Erikson

I'd really like to take a look at all of the prophesies, Foretellings, dreams and everything that foretells the future in those books. It's just really cool to see the vague statements that leave you wondering earlier on, then to see their meanings later on in the books. And the remaining unfulfilled ones still leave you wondering, what other great developments are left in the story?
Old 08-14-2001, 04:58 PM   #132
Lord Mazrim Taim
Sapling

The Wheel of Time is currently my favorite piece of writing.
Old 08-22-2001, 12:58 PM   #133
Glaurung
Sapling

there's a new CD out although it may be sort of hard to find... called A Soundtrack for the Wheel of Time... a couple of the songs (like the first one and ladies of the tower) are so bad it's funny but the rest are pretty good... i guess you'd describe it as celtic rock type music... and they took dahl of a chant and renamed it the aiel approach but i don't think it works with that new name although it's still a great song, originally written for the computer game.
the guy who wrote that song, along with others for the WoT game has a very nice cd out, but i can't remember the URL at the moment, something at mp3.com
Glaurung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 12:36 PM   #134
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I still refuse to read the above posts for fear of spoilers, but I'm just checking in to let you all know that I just started The Shadow Rising yesterday.

Progress.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 12:45 PM   #135
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

No spoilers in this post, never fear. ;)

But it's a good idea to avoid reading the above posts, they're packed with spoilers.

I'm rereading The Shadow Rising now, and me and my sister had a bit of a discussion about the title last night. It's a pretty common title, I told her. It sounds really cool, the only trouble is that multiple people have thought of it already. Susan Cooper has a whole series called "The Dark is Rising" or something like that. Timothy Zahn has "Dark Force Rising," and I thought of the title myself before even hearing of it from all these other multiple sources. It's just a bit funny, really.

Actually, I'm planning to reread most all of the books. I have The Crown of Swords, The Lord of Chaos and Winter's Heart. The others are available at my local library, so I've got no problems on that score.

Does anyone have any idea when the next one is coming out?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 03:35 AM   #136
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Rereading

It's really nice to be rereading these books; things pop out at you that you didn't pay any heed to on first reading. For instance, I've finally realized why Ar'angar was able to wield saidin instead of saidar. Perhaps it was dead obvious to most of you to start with, but it has taken me some time to realize.

Other things also pop out. Dreams, Foretellings and Prophesies which earlier you didn't understand, but which now you suddenly realize what the fulfillments are. It's really cool rereading these, not to mention fun. It's awesome how organized the series is.

Moral: Take heed. Think ahead.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:42 AM   #137
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

~nod~
I *definitely* catch a lot more each time I read them. Some things I catch way ahead of time (figured out Daughter of the Nine Moons, like, 3-4 books before it was revealed), but other things take time before I figure them out (like how Ar'angar was able to wield Saidin, for example. ~grin~)
Old 09-09-2001, 03:01 AM   #138
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yes, I figured out the Daughter of Nine Moons quickly as well. Robert Jordan left several broad hints on that one. It's really neat how well thought through everything was before he started writing the books. Everything must have been considered down to the last detail. Do you know if he's published anything else, or is The Wheel of Time it? I think it's all there is at the nearest library we have here.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:27 AM   #139
Mathron
Hobbit-Huorn
RPG Moderator

He has some normal fiction published another a different name, but I can't remember exactly what. Just a book or two, I believe, and I haven't read them.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:50 PM   #140
greenman
Sapling

I believe it was Conan the barbarian
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote