Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2003, 09:47 PM   #121
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Well...the 'Moot hasn't exactly supported the French.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:52 PM   #122
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

And there has been plenty of anti-Americanism as well.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #123
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Coney, I'm afraid I'm just being stupid with Gwaimir. I've heard a lot worse said about America then about France, though logically enough, I have heard some people being annoyed with the way they've been behaving over these politics. I do agree with you that it's a real pain we can't completely keep bashing of either side out of the argument, but I really wish you'd supply me with quotes from a few different individuals showing their bashing of France.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:55 PM   #124
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
How many here are sick of the blatant racism and ageism prevelant in this thread?
LOL no comment...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:58 PM   #125
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Coney, I'm afraid I'm just being stupid with Gwaimir. I've heard a lot worse said about America then about France, though logically enough, I have heard some people being annoyed with the way they've been behaving over these politics. I do agree with you that it's a real pain we can't completely keep bashing of either side out of the argument, but I really wish you'd supply me with quotes from a few different individuals showing their bashing of France.
Sorry Lief........last time I got personal in this kind of discussion I became the victim of some pretty heavy abuse *shrugs* Much like Dunedains sarcasm above......It's all there tho', plenty of others have noticed it.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #126
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Now, just to clarify my statement regarding age before it gets blown out of proportion. I've seen time and time again, during elections, interviews, etc.. here in America when kids are asked questions or provide statements. I am all for them speaking their minds, but 95% of the time they are just a product of what their parents preach and haven't formed their own opinions. Yes I agree some adults do the same, however you see it more amongst younger people, hence my statement...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 03-19-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #127
Gwaimir Windgem

I don't really see how posting quotes would be getting personal...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-19-2003, 09:59 PM   #128
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
BTW-How much time left until Hussein's 48 hour time limit is up?
His time has been out for an hour now.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:02 PM   #129
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Lief - I think most of the France comments were on the Iraq thread, which is now closed. Just do a search on "French", "France" on the Iraq thread. Also some on the protest thread and on this thread, too, IIRC.

GW - I think what Coney means by tit-for-tat is that just because mean things were said about Americans is NOT justification to say mean things about the French.

I think truthful facts are fine, but some of the comments about the French and about Americans have descended into name-calling.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-19-2003 at 10:05 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 PM   #130
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
BTW-How much time left until Hussein's 48 hour time limit is up?
It's up - but the invasion wasn't necessarily going to take place then. Also there were heavy sand storms in Iraq today - so that affected things too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #131
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Ho hum. Invasion missed its prime time oppurtunity. Pity.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:05 PM   #132
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400
ahem, how many are with me when i say "IMPEACH BUSH!?"
There haven't been any affirmatives yet, Evenstar. It looks like you're in the minority.

As far as ageism goes, though the remarks have been addressed to younger 'mooters in general, they only apply to a few. Most of the young ones actually think before they post in this thread, so no more broad generalizations, okay? It's a pretty low blow as far as rhetoric goes.

RE: racism...have to confess to being clueless here as well.

[edit: I must be thinking pretty slowly right now--five people snuck in posts while I was typing this one]
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:23 PM   #133
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
Ho hum. Invasion missed its prime time oppurtunity. Pity.
Well not really, because it was 4am there when the 48-hour deadline came, which would only give the coalition a mere 1-1 1/2 hour of darkness for strikes. I suspect they want an entire night of strikes to begin things, and I gather that will come tomorrow...

--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 10:25 PM   #134
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Bush did say that an invasion would be at a time of our choosing.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #135
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Bush did say that an invasion would be at a time of our choosing.
I will be driving up to Ohio to invade SGH

(actually I will be in OH in a few weeks the way it looks )

--Linaewen
Old 03-19-2003, 10:38 PM   #136
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I will be driving up to Ohio to invade SGH

(actually I will be in OH in a few weeks the way it looks )
Really? Where in Ohio? OT, send me a PM.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 10:47 PM   #137
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, according to Fox News, it has officially started. They report that the first bombs have fallen and that the President will speak in 15 minutes.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #138
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

To president is going to be on at 10:15. I think we'll be invading soon. The war has begun.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #139
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

CNN is reporting that Iraqi Anti-aircraft have opened fire.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 03-19-2003, 10:54 PM   #140
Gwaimir Windgem

What time-zone, JD?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle