Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2003, 04:15 PM   #121
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i read the hobbit when i was 9, then my sis said LOTR was a good book, so i read that!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:31 AM   #122
FattyBulger
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil

My Grandfather insisted I be read it. I don't know why he didn't just give it to me when I was old enough to read it 4 myself. Anyway, he gave it to me as if it was some ritual so I really had no choice.

When Mum read it to me (I'm not saying I can't read it's just LoTR is too advanced 4 yr 1 people e.i. 5 yrs old) I really liked it so I read it myself the next year.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #123
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

My BF got me the hobbit 4 my birthday last year she begged me 2 read it than i wus so interested with the plot i just had 2 go on and on!!!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:18 PM   #124
Noahamir
Hobbit

I saw "The Hobbit" on TV when I was about 5 and I remember being fascinated by Smaug.

I was then givin a Illustrated Storybook from the animated movie and it had a cassette tape with it that would narrate the story and had songs from the movie. I would listen to it every night at bedtime and my favorite part was the Goblin song when they captured the Dwarves and Bilbo.

Finally, when I was 10 my father remarried and my step-mom had a copy of the Hobbit and LOTR. I read "The Hobbit" over and over but could never get past the first chapter of LOTR. I finally forced myself to read LOTR and was finally hooked in the Chapter where Gandalf throws the Ring into the Fireplace and discovers that it is the One Ring.

I remember being so scared reading that Chapter and being so relieved when it was only Sam outside the window and was going to go on the Journey with Frodo.

Now I read all four books every couple of years.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #125
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Because I read any book that crosses my path. Of course, I wasn't aware beforehand that this one would have such an impact...

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #126
druss
Hobbit

Gimli

did a play in school when i was 8..i was thorin and had to memorise a poem from the hobbit...became hooked..the rest as they say is history.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:19 PM   #127
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

When I was about three I saw that little cartoon of the Hobbit, and since I loved it so much (I was three), My Mom decided to read me LotR when I turned six. I don't really think she would have if she had realized it would lead to living with someone so obsessed they've actually gone and made their own Ring of Power...but that's the way it goes.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:33 PM   #128
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

About 25 years ago I saw the Hobbit and LoTR on my sister's bookshelf. They looked interesting, and she raved about them. Since then I've re-read them (in sequence, starting with the Hobbit) every other year or so. The narrative never grows stale, and I continue to marvel at Tolkien's world of Middle Earth. Yup, I'd move there in a flash!

The Sil, on the other hand, I started months ago but just can't get into it. Maybe I'll try again in a few months.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:17 AM   #129
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I know the feeling. I floundered terribly the first time I tried to read the Silmarillion. Now when I look back, I can't believe some of the things I thought.

Quote:
Why does Frodo only get one sentence at the end??? That's obviously waaaaay more important than all this stupid "councils" and all these "F" people.

Note: the End thing does not by any means signify that I read it to end. Rather, when I gave up, I skipped to the back to see what was in the end.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:38 AM   #130
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Same goes for me. The first time I read it I thought I was looking at another language. But I picked it up again a little while ago and now I love it.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #131
Arcala
Elven Warrior

I read LotR when my brother wanted me to, and I remember thinking that it was not very good. Then I read the Hobbit and the Silmarillion. Then I got hooked.
Stay in bed, float up stream (float up stream)

Please, don't wake me, no, don't shake me
Leave me where I am - I'm only sleeping

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need (there's no need)

Please, don't spoil my day, I'm miles away
And after all I'm only sleeping..."

-from the Beatles' I'm Only Sleeping
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #132
Aragorn_of_the_west
Enting

Strider

My Grandfather sugested me to read the hobbit- i loved it( not suprisingly)' then he got me LOTR- loved that to- and then i got the Sil. To me it was also in the beginig very hard to read- but then i also got used to the language and read it( though i must read it again because i forget names really quickly).

Copy and past the URL and press continue:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=437705
Aragorn_of_the_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 12:52 PM   #133
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

I read the Hobbit because a friend told me it was an awesome book and I thought it was good...I read LOTR because I saw that the movie was coming out, and I refused to see the movie without reading the book first, you know to compare and contrast...and I got hooked...now that school's out, I want to read the Silmarillion...
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Indril Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:03 PM   #134
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I saw a preview for LotR in the movie theater so I decided to try the book and I found out about there was a prequel the Hobbit.. and purchased them both.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-27-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:20 PM   #135
Telmelion
Hobbit

I read the Hobbit quite some time ago...when I was 7 or 8, I think. When the hype about the movies came I read the Hobbit again and afterwards LotR.
Telmelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #136
Elbereth5
Sapling

Nazgul

i went to a new school and my school was really crazy about LOTR and my friend was too, and she kept on talking about how good the movie was 'n stuff so i rented it and i LOVED it ,so that Christmas i got the LOTR books and i read them....then when i got done i ought The Hobbit and i loved it too....im now TRYING to read the Samarillion.
Elbereth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 04:04 PM   #137
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

Read The Hobbit at school just because it looked interesting, and then was delighted to find the author had written another book called LotR so took it out of the library to see if it was as good as TH. Got blown away - there followed many happy years of reading and re-reading our fav book!
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #138
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

my dad had told me to read them, but at first i didnt want to. once i saw the preview for FotR, i decided to read them so i would know what the took out of the book, and since then, i have read them 4 times

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 10:38 PM   #139
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

i remember my parents having some kind of tolkien fascination when i was a kid..they're not intense fans (not compared to everyone who frequents these boards ), but they gave me the hobbit when i was 5, and after i'd read it, they kept making suggestions like i should go to book parades dressed as gandalf.., and they kept talking about LotR. or maybe that's just my warped memory of it. Anyway, dad started reading LotR to me when i was 6, but never got further than the end of FotR..or maybe even gandalf's death, so i picked it up and read it myself. never got further than the start of RotK though - it seemed far too depressing. i put it back on the shelf and didn't think of it again ( ). then when i was 12 we were going to take my cousin to see this puppet play of the hobbit, and i was on holidays and didn't have anything better to do so for some reason i thought, hey, maybe i'll read LotR again, the rest is history - i barred my friends off for 5 whole days as i wandered around with my nose glued to the book..i took it everywhere - my family started calling it my bible..they still do
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #140
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Strider

Well, my brother was reading the hobbit and kept ranting about how good it was, so finally I said "What's so great about it?" So he told me about it. So I was interested and read it, it was so good that, of course, I wanted to know what happened next. And the rest is history.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote