Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #121
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Well, I doubt you'll notice anything of it in South-Africa. But they bloody well changed some of the Dutch spelling rules again. (Intermediate 'n' mostly) While it already was a horrible complicated bog of silly rules with gazillion exceptions and fixed expressions, they went at it again. Not that they're doing such a good job at actually improving or simplifying it either.

I saw about three spelling changes when I was still in school. They were NO FUN. No fun at all! Stuff of nightmare and traumas, believe me.

I feel sorry for all those school kids too, who now can't resell their school books to the successive batch of students because the books can't be resold with the old spelling. I've been there. Bleh.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #122
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Oh, I see. Terrible.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #123
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sounds like the Dutch bureaucrats have too much time on their hands! Sheesh! (Sheash?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #124
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Not nearly too much time on their hands than barely enough sense in their head. *mutters darkly* There's a lot of criticism already on the new spelling and she hasn't even been implemented yet.

Pray you never enter the hell that is Dutch spelling. You do not know the peril you're in.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #125
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
While it already was a horrible complicated bog of silly rules with gazillion exceptions and fixed expressions, they went at it again. Not that they're doing such a good job at actually improving or simplifying it either.
What's the point of a spelling reform if it doesn't actually simplify/improve the system? Why have so many exceptions? (As if the original spelling wouldn't have been full of enough exceptions!)

Vent: So little time left..so many exams. Sigh. I think I've already been so saturated with what I'm studying that I've started dreaming about surds.
+ some other things I have to think about...
Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #126
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, this sorta reminds me of what happened while I was passing through Yucca Valley today.
All my life, I've been spelling it Restraunt, but now I have doubts as to it's correctness, because I saw a sign that spelled it something like Resturaunt (well, I don't really remember, but it was different from the way I'm used to it being spelled).
Old 10-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #127
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Well, this sorta reminds me of what happened while I was passing through Yucca Valley today.
All my life, I've been spelling it Restraunt, but now I have doubts as to it's correctness, because I saw a sign that spelled it something like Resturaunt (well, I don't really remember, but it was different from the way I'm used to it being spelled).
As far as I know, it's only spelt the one way: restaurant. Btw, if you pronounced it 'restraunt' in my Aussie accent, you'd sound really weird , though I suppose it's ok in the American accent.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:43 PM   #128
trolls' bane

It sounds the same either way, in fact the similarity influenced my spelling of it.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #129
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

there is only one way to spell restaurant. lol. We do pronounce it "restraunt" though.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #130
trolls' bane

Well, I'll re-adjust my ways as best I can.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:06 AM   #131
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Just when I thought I had it in the bag, a buddy goes and posts this:

"Strawberry Jaguar"

Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #132
trolls' bane

Wow! Still good photography! You've beat'm before!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:45 AM   #133
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Ooooh, that picture is beautiful... sorry.

VENT: I think I'm coming down with a friggen cough. I haven't even had asthma in ages. Nice time to crop up - damn exam time!! I've been trying to de-stress myself so this doesn't happen!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #134
Mercutio

People just can't tell me at a meeting (scheduled 5 days in advance that I've made an effort to attend) that most people couldn't come to it so there's another meeting ...surprise...tomorrow! less than 24 hour notice for a meeting when I've had something else scheduled then for weeks?? and I can't change it (yes I even made the effort).

You'll just have to miss me...but I better not be punished for missing it.

I have so many issues with this extracurricular (mock trial) and scheduling (usually music lessons)...and it almost always is because the teacher/coaches decide and change things at the last second. Then when I can't come because I have a prior commitment (and why should I make someone else change their schedule so much to fit me?) it's my fault and I'm not making a big enough effort ("You're missing to many meetings" or "oh...you weren't here then, were you")

They should be happy I try as hard as I do to make the meetings and that so far my music teachers have been willing to change my lessons so last minute to fit mock trial.

I told my mom meetings for Nov & Dec will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays (we decided that today.) She said...is that definite? My response "as definite as it ever will be. Tuesdays and Thursdays until they decide the day before to make it Wednesday or Monday or Saturday"

ohhhhh

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:13 AM   #135
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
People just can't tell me at a meeting (scheduled 5 days in advance that I've made an effort to attend) that most people couldn't come to it so there's another meeting ...surprise...tomorrow! less than 24 hour notice for a meeting when I've had something else scheduled then for weeks?? and I can't change it (yes I even made the effort).

You'll just have to miss me...but I better not be punished for missing it.

I have so many issues with this extracurricular (mock trial) and scheduling (usually music lessons)...and it almost always is because the teacher/coaches decide and change things at the last second. Then when I can't come because I have a prior commitment (and why should I make someone else change their schedule so much to fit me?) it's my fault and I'm not making a big enough effort ("You're missing to many meetings" or "oh...you weren't here then, were you")

They should be happy I try as hard as I do to make the meetings and that so far my music teachers have been willing to change my lessons so last minute to fit mock trial.

I told my mom meetings for Nov & Dec will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays (we decided that today.) She said...is that definite? My response "as definite as it ever will be. Tuesdays and Thursdays until they decide the day before to make it Wednesday or Monday or Saturday"

ohhhhh
Once again, I know what you're talking about...
Old 10-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #136
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I hate math.

I have a test today, and I know how to start most of the problems, but I've got NO clue how to finish them.

I am -so- screwed. I've been to tutoring and everything but I still don't get it.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #137
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

what level of math?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:23 AM   #138
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

The easy stuff . Algebra with Calculus for Business.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM   #139
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well I -think- I got three answers right. :rolleyes

The rest I was only able to start the formulas for--I couldn't remember what do to once I'd set them up and worked them half-way through. Argh. I'm going to be very lucky to walk away with a D. -VERY- lucky.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #140
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Well I -think- I got three answers right. :rolleyes

The rest I was only able to start the formulas for--I couldn't remember what do to once I'd set them up and worked them half-way through. Argh. I'm going to be very lucky to walk away with a D. -VERY- lucky.

What exactly is Algebra with Calculus? I'm wondering how you can add a little calculus to algebra without having to know the algebra in the first place to do the calculus?

Sorry about it, Tessar

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Closed Thread