Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #121
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Arien, I am sorry to read that you were affected by your parents' split. I think the timing was particularly unfortunate; 14 is not a good age to have to go through that. I was "lucky" in that my son was only 2, so he wasn't caught in the middle so much. However, I think it's usually inevitable that children of divorced parents will be affected by it to some extent, e.g. by geographical distance.

By now he's 13, and although there are still challenges for all of us, he has three (half-) brothers that he adores (and the feeling's mutual), another one on the way, about 20 cousins and step-cousins, with whom he has a riot, and FOUR sets of grandparents to spoil him rotten. He has also formed close friendships with lots of my and his mum's friends. That's a wonderful diversity of humanity.

* Puts About a Boy on the DVD *
I agree that splitting up when the kdis are younger (or WAY older like adults) is probably less stressful. It's hard for me now b/c of holidays and such. What a hassle! I look forward to the day when hubby and me are older and our kids are older and we don't ahev to worry about going to everyone's house on the holidays!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #122
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Aren't wee ones the perfect excuse to sit at home and let everyone come to you?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM   #123
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:

Only child, Gaffer? Most families I know have the big family holidays by seniority. Any member, or any 6 members, of a generation might be having children at the same time. Whose reproductive schedule gets priority? People gather at the family home, which presumably has room and oven space, and hopefully everyone is adult enough that arrangements are made for swapping off with families of spouses. Like "Grammy gets everyone for Thanksgiving, but Nana Johnson insists on Christmas Eve, and Mrs. Henderson wants Easter Supper."

Particularly with long distances (and the U.S. is FULL of those, lol) you don't plan a day long drive for your Elders. 'tain't proper.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #124
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

We use to always go to my parent's place, and my wife's parent's place... but now that we've got four kids, if they want to see them (and they do ), they are coming to us.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #125
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

You tell em.

Mine was more wishful thinking, or a negotiating position, than actual policy.

But really, how much UNlike a holiday do they want it to be??
Old 05-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #126
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
We use to always go to my parent's place, and my wife's parent's place... but now that we've got four kids, if they want to see them (and they do ), they are coming to us.
You host family holidays? Sibs and cousins come to your house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day? Anyone cross state lines for that?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #127
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Are you willing to admit that at least sometimes, even if it is only one in one hundred, that divorce can lead to a better life for everyone involved, or is that simply impossible given your worldview?
That may be possible. I've never seen it, but I don't claim to have seen everything . If that kind of situation is possible, however, I believe that it would be an incredibly small minority of cases.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 05-08-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #128
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
You host family holidays? Sibs and cousins come to your house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day? Anyone cross state lines for that?
They come to us most of the time, though we do travel to the parent's house or the brother's for Thanksgiving sometimes. My parents are in Connecticut and we are near Boston (about a two hour trip), and they probably visit 10-15 times a year compared to 1-2 for us. Not because we don't like to visit. Just because four kids in the car can be a real adventure for just a one or two-day trip.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM   #129
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
That may be possible. I've never seen it, but I don't claim to have seen everything . If that kind of situation is possible, however, I believe that it would be an incredibly small minority of cases.
Well, that's something to work with at least.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #130
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
They come to us most of the time, though we do travel to the parent's house or the brother's for Thanksgiving sometimes. My parents are in Connecticut and we are near Boston (about a two hour trip), and they probably visit 10-15 times a year compared to 1-2 for us. Not because we don't like to visit. Just because four kids in the car can be a real adventure for just a one or two-day trip.
Everyone's families are so young.

I'm glad your parents are so healthy that they've got 20-30 hours of commuting in them annually. May that continue for many happy years. Grandparents aren't what they used to be, maybe.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 05-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #131
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:

That only works if you're the only one with small kids. In our family, there's multiple small-kid families. We just kinda left it open every year and worked out whatever seemed best, although infants trumped everything, and space was important, too (easier to get together in a house with a large gathering room and multiple bedrooms than a two-room very small house). But once kids are a few months old, they really travel pretty good in a car or plane. The worst time, for us, was right after they were potty trained Really, diapers aren't bad!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-09-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #132
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
The worst time, for us, was right after they were potty trained Really, diapers aren't bad!
ROTFL. Oh, the power to stop at every MickeyD's.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 05-10-2007, 03:46 PM   #133
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Everyone's families are so young.

I'm glad your parents are so healthy that they've got 20-30 hours of commuting in them annually. May that continue for many happy years. Grandparents aren't what they used to be, maybe.
All they do now is travel.

They are in their early-60s.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #134
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
They are in their early-60s.
*shakes head and reaches for cane*

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #135
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
ROTFL. Oh, the power to stop at every MickeyD's.
[shudder]Those were the days ... [/shudder]

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 AM   #136
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Gah! Don't say that... we're just about to start toilet training the bairn.

* is very afraid *
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #137
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien the Maia
What is everyone's opinion about Divorce? Do you think it should never happen or only in certain circumstances? I have been affected by it and I hate it with a passion.
Yeah, I been affected by it too. Once in 1983 (I divorced), and once in 2007 (I was divorced). I'm ok with it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #138
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I don't think anyone likes divorce, but I've seen many people go through it and come out better in the long run.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #139
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
Yeah, I been affected by it too. Once in 1983 (I divorced), and once in 2007 (I was divorced). I'm ok with it.
What's the difference between divorcing and being divorced? The person who asks for it?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #140
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Yep. In 1983 I filed for divorce, and in 2007 I had divorce papers served to me.