Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:33 AM   #121
Sween
im quite stupid

i have to admit i shed a bit of a tear today
Old 09-11-2002, 11:35 AM   #122
BeardofPants
the Shrike

We took 2 mins of silence as well. And stayed up to watch the live broadcast of the ceremony (it's 3.30am now.)

As Starr mentioned, we got bombarded by imaged for a long time afterwards; I think I speak for many in being guilty of becoming desensitised to the tragedy. This anniversary, however, has reminded me of my initial feelings regarding these attacks. Just seeing footage of people crying, and holding up pictures of their loved ones... My heart goes out to them now, as it did a year ago. My thoughts are with you on this sad day, and as such, I have decided that I will not vent, or argue on these forums, while this day lasts.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:43 PM   #123
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

To all Americans here, you have my deepest symphathy and respect on this day of remembrance and sorrow.
May the victims rest in peace.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:44 PM   #124
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
We did a minute silence at 1 o'clock. then at lunchtime a lot of people did another one at 1.46pm when the 1st plane struck. My friends & i had a big discussion at lunch about it and several started crying. I may not know anyone from america but i still feel sorrow and sadness for the victims and their families
Old 09-11-2002, 02:30 PM   #125
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Today in Student Senate we sang this really cool round about peace and love of America...it was very touching. There was a memorial service, but I couldn't go. I might be going to a special Mass at my church...I'm not sure. I haven't been able to watch much of the footage...it's too real.

But all day, I've just been very proud and very sad and quite glad to be an American.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Old 09-11-2002, 03:21 PM   #126
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I, although I'm not american, saw the stories of the people in the building, and that was sad... In school the english teachers (who's from america) talked about it, (window of opportunity to attack Afganistan and more) and somehow we were in the Oklahome city attack terror. The teacher somehow had books for this and the things they described... were terible.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:41 PM   #127
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I broke down and watched some TV today, but luckily I didn't see any of the footage. I just can't watch it, it still replays in my mind, and a few days ago I had a dream about it.

In case you're wondering, I didn't have school today, which is why I'm here. The teachers needed an in-service day, though I'm positive it was scheduled like this for a reason.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:44 PM   #128
osszie
Elven Warrior

It has been a day of reflection and reawakening of memories......most of today I felt kinda numb, sorrow mixed with incomprehension as to why/how this happened. (I know the political reasons.........but it is still staggering to my mind).

I watched the ceremony at St Pauls Cathedral for the 67 UK people who lost their lives a year ago.........heartbreaking.

I also watched the live BBC reports from Ground Zero......and two words came to mind.......Grief and Dignity.......bless you all.

I would also like to thank Jerseydevil (and other american posters) for giving up so much of their personal time to post their thoughts........theorys ........ and information on that horrible day. Your experiences and insights that were posted here were gratefully read on my part.

Love and Respect

Osszie
Old 09-11-2002, 05:37 PM   #129
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by osszie
It has been a day of reflection and reawakening of memories......most of today I felt kinda numb, sorrow mixed with incomprehension as to why/how this happened. (I know the political reasons.........but it is still staggering to my mind).
I have felt pretty much numb all day too. I watched TV all day - and it's all memorials and reflections. No attack videos or anything. I'm very grateful about that. No commercials either - other than patritic thoughts and so forth.

Quote:
I watched the ceremony at St Pauls Cathedral for the 67 UK people who lost their lives a year ago.........heartbreaking.

I also watched the live BBC reports from Ground Zero......and two words came to mind.......Grief and Dignity.......bless you all.

They did show some of the memorials from around the world. Obviously my area covered the memorial at Ground Zero and Pennsylvania the most.

Quote:

I would also like to thank Jerseydevil (and other american posters) for giving up so much of their personal time to post their thoughts........theorys ........ and information on that horrible day. Your experiences and insights that were posted here were gratefully read on my part.

Love and Respect

Osszie
I actually wanted to thank all the people from around the world that gave their condolences. Working on my Twin Towers site has been helpful for me in dealing with this I think. It allowed me to share with others the Twin Towers. I wanted to bring across that, even though everyone knows that people died in the attacks, people actually worked and ate lunch and did normal things around those buildings. On warm spring days people sat around the fountain in the center of the plaza with "The Sphere" in the center eating sandwiches. Children used to climb on the massive black granite sculpture at the World Trade Center Plaza entrance off of Church Street. I also remember getting hotdogs at the hotdog vendor on Liberty Street outside the South Tower. I'd usually stop there and get a quick hotdog and eat it before going up into the tower.

I also remember the last time I was there. After taking friends to the observation deck at the end of July 2001, we came back down and they looked around the souvenir stands in the Plaza for something to get people back home. I was leaning up against the South Tower and waited for them, as I watched all the people eating and having fun and going about their business. That is my final time I was there. I always thought the towers would be there for ever and when the next group of friends came out - I'd take them there and do it all again. I never got tired of taking people to the Twin Towers. I'd do the Twin Towers at day and then take everyone up to the Empire State Building at night.

When I walked to Ground Zero with my father September 1st - I took Broadway. I passed Trinity Church at Wall Street and Broadway. I walked past and there was no Towers to gaze up at anymore. As I got closer to Ground Zero - only a couple of blocks from Wall Street - I actually felt I was in the wrong area. I had been so used to knowing where I was in Lower Manhattan by what position the Towers were in.

I remember several years ago walking with some friends through Lower Manhattan at night. They didn't know if we were going in the right direction or not. I looked up and there were the Twin Towers, my trusty guide posts and I just told them that "we were going in the right direction, the towers behind and to the south of us." We were trying to get to a restaurant in Chinatown from the Greenwich Village area.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-11-2002 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:52 PM   #130
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
To all Americans here, you have my deepest symphathy and respect on this day of remembrance and sorrow.
May the victims rest in peace.
Ditto
We also took a moment of silence. We also had some poems read of the attack and the America the beautiful was sang. We discussed it in class. My math teacher lost her niece in the world trade center.

My parents friend was next door the WTC when it was hit. She was very scared and worried.

I pray for thoughs who lost ones they loved. And for thoughs who lost their lives or are injured. I heard a tribut song for 9-11-01. it was very sad. It was by Union Soul. I wish I could send it to you. it made me cry.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:05 PM   #131
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
My math teacher lost her niece in the world trade center.

My parents friend was next door the WTC when it was hit. She was very scared and worried.
I knew people that had close calls - but no one that I knew personally were in the Towers that day. My sister's husband would have been there the following week though.

Quote:

I pray for thoughs who lost ones they loved. And for thoughs who lost their lives or are injured. I heard a tribut song for 9-11-01. it was very sad. It was by Union Soul. I wish I could send it to you. it made me cry.
Thanks for the song. I'm downloading it now.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-11-2002, 06:31 PM   #132
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Wow... what a day. I can't really articulate now. I'll elaborate later.

Psalm 107:31
Old 09-11-2002, 07:53 PM   #133
jerseydevil

Well now ABCNews is having the disaster photos. So oh well for making the day without seeing any.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 09-11-2002 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:44 PM   #134
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
We didn't listen to the radio today(or T.V. is out of commission) but I didn't need to. Almost every detail of 9-11-01 and the days before that are still ingrained in my mind. All I feel is shock that a whole year has passed...that families hearts are still wounded over the loss of loved ones, that those lost in the attacks truely aren't coming back and that the hope that had been in my heart that maybe someone might be alive is out. That the America I knew on 9-10-01 isn't coming back. But also hope that America is still living on, and always will. I should say thank you to the Brittish too...they played our national anthem at the changing of the gaurd and helped us...thanks Britain
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...

Last edited by samwise of the shire : 09-11-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 PM   #135
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

First of all, I would like to say thank you to all the people from other countries on here who have given us support. Even though I didn't personally know anyone that died, I was affected by all this, as I'm sure everyone else was too. It doesn't seem like it's been a year since it happened. We had an emotional assembly at school today and we closed with singing "God Bless America." I really have nothing else to say, except God Bless America.

Psalm 107:31
Old 09-11-2002, 11:00 PM   #136
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thank you so much to everyone for their messages of condolence. I have been on the verge of tears all day, and it has been a comfort to read them.

God Bless America, Land That I Love!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 09-12-2002, 01:51 PM   #137
sun-star
Lady of Letters

God Bless you all.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:56 PM   #138
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

agreed. (it was SO sad... )
Old 09-12-2002, 03:10 PM   #139
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I thought about Sept. 11 yesturday, about the Spept. 11 last year, and how that in the morning everything felt so normal, I was tired, and whene I got to school we all talked as usarul and did everything the same as we did them every day. Wierd, but I didn't even have a strange filling that anything would happen. I think that no one did, and even though that's normal, it is just so amazing to me how much of a shock 9-11 was.

Everyone at school dressed in red, whight and bleu yesterday, and while I was at the fair that is in town, I notised how everyone (allmost) were wering flag shirts, red shirts, bleu shorts ect., and it made me proud to be an American, it made me fill like we really were one country. We allso had an assembally at school for it, me eyes got all teary, I didn't cry, but they were wattery. We heard people reflect on Sept. 11, it was great.

One question for Jersydevil, in New York, I am serten that everyone was at least let out of school because of the terists, around the twins, but were the elementry school kids told at school what had happend? The people in Asheville were not, acording to my friend, but of course we were not let out of school early eather, wich you probally were, and we were futher away (of course) from the towers, but I was just wondering, I felt bad for all of the 5th graders and below last year, but I was allso happy that I was in 6th, in the middle school so that I could hear the news!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:38 PM   #140
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
One question for Jersydevil, in New York, I am serten that everyone was at least let out of school because of the terists, around the twins, but were the elementry school kids told at school what had happend? The people in Asheville were not, acording to my friend, but of course we were not let out of school early eather, wich you probally were, and we were futher away (of course) from the towers, but I was just wondering, I felt bad for all of the 5th graders and below last year, but I was allso happy that I was in 6th, in the middle school so that I could hear the news!
Well around the Twin Towers there are/were schools - young elementary school students were able to watch the destruction from their classrooms.

My cousin - who was in 6th grade last year - lives in Beachwood NJ, about an hour south of NY on the Jersey Shore. He said there were rumors floating around school that something happened - but the teachers wouldn't let anyone turn on the TVs. The teachers were given notes saying what happened - but not to tell the students. Many students in the area have parents that work in NY as well as worked in the Twin Towers and they didn't want to upset the students. But that didn't really help. My cousin said everyone was begging the teachers to tell them what was going on. He also said that people were making up their own stories about what was happening. He didn't have a full understanding of what occurred until he got home. Beachwood students were not let out early. There were schools in my area where the TVs were turned on and everyone knew exactly what was happening. My other cousin was a sophomore in High School - they knew what was happening. Most students have cell phones - so it's hard to keep the outside world out. I can try to find out more for you from them.

The most directly affected schools were of course the ones around the Twin Towers. There was no way to keep the attack a secret from the students down there. And many schools had to be evacuated. I believe there were even several day care centers in the area (99% sure). I know one school was set up as a triage center. Also - NYU is only about 10 blocks north from the Twin Towers site. NY schools did have the days off following the attack and some schools in NJ closed down I think. Manhattan Island was under lock down. No one was allowed onto the island at all. The tunnels and bridges were all blocked by military and national guard. The Coast Guard blocked off the entrance to the Hudson and East Rivers.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread