Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2002, 04:25 PM   #121
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Pailin, your choice of quotes really hurts my feelings. If it wasn't for that nasty halfling with his narratively convenient sword I would have pummeled that moody blonde into mud.
Well, what to say to that? Narratively convienent sword? Merry carried that all the way from the barrow downs and if they hadn't been infested with wights he would not have had that particular blade. So what I am saying here is that the Witch King of Angmar had sown the seeds of his own destruction in the third age (1974 or there about) by destroying the North Kingdom. The barrow wights were his doing and the events which followed leading to his "bad knee" were set in motion nearly 1045 years before. Perhaps predestined would be closer to the mark.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-23-2002 at 09:52 AM.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:50 PM   #122
olsonm
Elf Lord

Foul_Dwimmerlaik you're just lucky Merry was there to save from the embarassment of being beaten singlehandedly by that 'moody blonde'.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:30 PM   #123
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Please, I smote her arm just for kicks...her head would have been next on the smitten list. The next person who doubts the Witch-King gets an all-expense paid trip to the houses of lamentation.

See my signature for all the fun activities I offer there!
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 10:49 PM   #124
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

It seems to me that someone who gets whupped by a half-pint and a woman with a busted arm should be called FOWL(as in CHICKEN)_ Dwimmerlaik.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 12:08 AM   #125
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Nazgul

Alright, you just made my list, ragamuffin. Before I slay thee, for strictly demographic purposes I need to know:

a) your gender

and

b) if you've brought any foreign flora, fauna or magic blades of westernesse to the balttle.

I assure you this is just a formality, and your regularly scheduled flaying will commence shortly
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 12:55 AM   #126
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Uhhhh, okay--
A) male
B) Hey, is that a PTERODACTYLyou're sitting on? COOL!!! Where did you get it? Can I take it for a spin? I'll be your best friend!!!!

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:33 AM   #127
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Greatest quote? Mmm, there's so many! Probably:

"Well, I'm back"

cos it's a really great ending. But also I like:

"The white page can be over-written, the white cloth can be dyed, the white light can be broken!"
"In which case it is no longer white, and one who breaks a thing to see what it is made of has left the path of wisdom."

Ok, that's 2 quotes really, but it's such a true dialogue!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 08:15 AM   #128
Nimrodel
Hobbit

Every quote that I wanted to put down has already been posted, but here's another one"

Frodo: "I wish it need not have happened in my time"

Gandalf: "So do I, and so do all that live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Nimrodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:11 PM   #129
Churl
Elven Warrior

Here's an inspiring one from Elrond:

‘This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great.’
— From The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II, Chapter II: “The Council of Elrond”
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 12:51 PM   #130
Gildor
Hobbit

Majestic language

I love the high-sounding triumph in this part. It lifts my spirit and gives me hope for our own age.

Here is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, chieftain of the Dunedain of Arnor, Captain of the Hosts of the West, Bearer of the Star of the North, wielder of the Sword Reforged, victorious in battle,
whose hands bring healing, the Elfstone, Elessar of the line of Valandil, Isildur's son, Elendil's son of Numenor. Shall he be king and enter into the City and dwell there?
And all the hosts and all the people cried "yea" with one voice.

And later...

But when Aragorn arose all that beheld him gazed in silence, for it seemed to them that he was revealed to them now, for the first time. Tall as the sea-kings of old, he stood above all that were near; ancient of days he seemed and yet in the flower of manhood; and wisdom sat upon his brow, and strength and healing were in his hands, and a light was about him. And then Faramir cried:
"Behold the King!"
Old 01-26-2002, 10:31 PM   #131
Earendil
Sapling

None but too many spring to mind... here are some just off the top of my head..

Frodo raised his eyes with difficulty to the dark slopes of Mount Doom towering above him, and then pitifully he began to crawl forward on his hands.
Sam looked at him and wept in his heart, but no tears came to his dry and stinging eyes."I said I'd carry him, if it broke my back," he muttered,"and I will!!"
"Come Mr. Frodo" he cried. "I can't carry It for you, but I can carry you and It as well. So up you get! Come on, Mr. Frodo dear! Sam will give you a ride. Just tell him where to go, and he'll go!!"

*sniff...*

Frodo: I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: someone has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them... how true....
Old 01-28-2002, 08:09 PM   #132
Gildor
Hobbit

Here's another one that makes me smile:

"Look at it, Mr. Frodo!" said Sam. "Look at it!" The wind's changed. Something's happening. He's not having it all his own way."
Old 01-29-2002, 04:46 PM   #133
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

A good deep one

" 'And that will lie in the dust and rot to spring up again in times and places unlooked-for. The deeds of Men wiill oulast us gimli. And yet come to naught in the end but might-have-beens, I guess,' said the dwarf. 'To that the Elves know not the answer."
Old 01-29-2002, 05:58 PM   #134
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Humorous:

"Your talk of sniffing riders with invisible noses has unsettled me." --Pippin Took

"Yes, they are Elves, and they say that you breathe so loud that they could shoot you in the dark." --Legolas

"Well, I wish Frodo would 'screw himself up' and come back, and let us get it over." --Pippin Took

"Since Gandalf's head is now sacred, let us find one that is right to cleave!" --Gimli

" 'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'
'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and Over-heaven and of the Sundering Seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less?' "

Serious:

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and good cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." --Thorin

"None may live now as they have lived, and few shall keep what they call their own." --Aragorn

"But there, my friends, songs like trees bear fruit only in their own time and their own way: and sometimes they are withered untimely." --Treebeard

"Far let us ride now together, and part not in this world again!" --Gandalf
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 10:50 AM   #135
Agburanar
Elf Lord

All that is gold does not glitter...

There's a kinda truth in that.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:47 AM   #136
Mithrandir
Hobbit

Gandalf

Ah, there are way too many. Here is one Random one that I know off the top of my head.

" 'I am the Doorward of Theoden', he said. 'Hama is my name.' "

Oh I'm feeling it
Old 01-30-2002, 08:39 PM   #137
The_Real_Legolas
Elven Warrior

Gandalf gandalf

Well my fave one is where Gandalf says about what Bilbo meant by good morning.

One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them
LEGOLAS ROCKS & so do I! GO ARCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The_Real_Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 11:58 AM   #138
Agburanar
Elf Lord

"Well what a lot of things you do use good morning for... now you mean that you want to be rid of me and that it won't be a good morning again until I've gone"
Old 02-01-2002, 03:41 PM   #139
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

so many quotes i can`t choose 1. here r some of my favs:

Frodo: He deserves death!
Gandalf: Deserves it? i daresay he does. Many that live deserve death and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Bilbo: I don`t know half as of you half as well as I should like; and i like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Frodo: I wish it neeed not have happened in my time.
Gandalf:So do i. And so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

and last but not least...

"So that was the King of Rohan" said Pippin in an undertone."A fine old fellow.Very polite"- i cracked up at that 1!

hang on. just 1 more
Strider describing barliman butterbur-A fat inkeeper who only remebers his own name because people shout it at him all day!

i could go on for pages but i`ll stop there
eowyn144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 09:53 PM   #140
Gildor
Hobbit

From Aragorn's final words to Arwen

"In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold, we are not bound forever to the circles of this world, and beyond them is more than memory"