Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-2002, 10:59 AM   #121
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It's economics-demand for cigarettes is inelastic so taxes will decrease quantity demanded by only a small amount. The things you learn in first year econ
Old 10-10-2002, 11:05 AM   #122
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
I overheard someone YESTERDAY, talking about taking a tractor trailor load to New Jersey, of all places, and netting a 200% profit on each pack. He came back a rich man.
As if you can believe everything you overhear.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 02:29 PM   #123
Blackheart
Elf Lord

In this particular instance, yes. I know the guy, nominally. LAter he joked that he was thinking of quitting the dope smuggling business and taking up tobacco running full time, because the penalties were substantially less.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:12 AM   #124
Duddun
I Antha

I hate smoking, it smells nasty and I don't know why you would like it I've never tried it and never will.
I'm Not Evil!
If the critics say it's good, is it really That good?
It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a balloon!
Duddun, Son of Bubbun
Duddun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 12:19 PM   #125
Blackheart
Elf Lord

*plays devil's advocate*

Yes.. but if you never try it, you'll never know why...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:58 PM   #126
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by Duddun
I hate smoking, it smells nasty and I don't know why you would like it I've never tried it and never will.
I second that! I hold my breath every time I walk into Wal-Mart because there are always at least 5 people standing there smoking because they're not allowed to inside. It's really kind of sad...to think they have have to stand out there in our" beautiful" winters and freeze just because they're addicted to that little paper hanging out of their mouth.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #127
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

One time I was in the mall and there was a gang of little boys all smoking cigarettes, INSIDE the frickin mall. In the main section not even in a store. They must've been in like 7th, 8th grade tops. They apparently hadn't started too long ago and they apparently also were mainly doing it for show.

I think they would do it to be grown up. I've never smoked tobacco in my life. What's the point unless it's actually going to do something like relax you or something? I mean I know if you're addicted it will relax you but why start? It seems like the only reason to start is image.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:00 PM   #128
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

um... i smoke at times... theres nothing THAT wrong about it.... well maybe having like 10 a day.... i only had the odd one.... haven't had one for a few weeks now.... but yep i admit it.... i like it
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 01-28-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #129
Hemel
Elven Warrior

What I've wondered ... it seems to me that people, AFAIK, say their first one or two cigarettes are pretty awful - they cough and such. So - from that, how do they get to smoking? Why doesn't the first experience put them off?

I'm a non-smoker - dead set against it for reasons like watching my dad die of cancer, and also because getting near people who smoke makes me ill. So there are places I would love to go but can't - just because people will be smoking. This week alone I've had to miss out on two events

Over here there were recently suggestions that places like pubs and restaurants should be smoke free. But last thing I heard, the minister concerned had said she didn't want a full ban - she'd rather leave it to the owners concerned, but that there should be smoke-free areas in pubs and such. But the problem with that is that it doesn't really solve anything, because even with air extractors, the smoke still drifts so you still end up inhaling it and reeking of it

(We have a classic pub near where I used to live - that had a no-smoking area, separated by just a rail from the smoking area. What was even dafter was that the no-smoking area was raised .... just right to catch the drifting smoke ... )
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #130
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
um... i smoke at times... theres nothing THAT wrong about it.... well maybe having like 10 a day.... i only had the odd one.... haven't had one for a few weeks now.... but yep i admit it.... i like it
Are you saying you occasionally smoke but aren't addicted? I don't know anyone like that myself, so I'm impressed, if that's what you're saying.

People getting addicted to smoking to such a degree that they need to inflict second hand smoke on other people is what ticks me off.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #131
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol

I think they would do it to be grown up. I've never smoked tobacco in my life. What's the point unless it's actually going to do something like relax you or something? I mean I know if you're addicted it will relax you but why start? It seems like the only reason to start is image.
of course. what other reason is there. can you think of a good reason to start smoking? basically it comes down to theres only two reasons TO smoke. because you want to look cool or because you are addicted. All the reasons Ive ever heard fall under one of these two categories. Psychology and biology. Thats all thats at work here.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:57 AM   #132
Coney II
Elven Warrior

Quote:
with all due respect, you're mad Wait until the nicotine grip gets a hold of yer.........and then see how much fun smoking is in 20yrs time.

Throw the things in the bin.
Coney II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:09 AM   #133
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Are you saying you occasionally smoke but aren't addicted? I don't know anyone like that myself, so I'm impressed, if that's what you're saying.

People getting addicted to smoking to such a degree that they need to inflict second hand smoke on other people is what ticks me off.
nope i'm not addicted. and its wierd cos everyone else i know is.

Quote:
with all due respect, you're mad Wait until the nicotine grip gets a hold of yer.........and then see how much fun smoking is in 20yrs time.
i know i'm mad. and ive been smoking for just over a year now (i started properly years and years ago but quit) and ive never got addicted. and i know i've sorta contradicted myself - people always ask me if im not addicted why do i still smoke - but i like it. and i never really expect to live past 30 anyway... well not the way i cross roads!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 01-29-2004 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #134
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well, speaking as a lifelong (20 yrs) smoker who is in the throes of giving up: don't kid yourself, sister! Nicotine WILL get you in the end. The fact that you like it at all shows that it has already made a little receptor for itself in your brain. Still, you have to make your own choice and who am I to deny the delights of a tab?

Some facts that affected my choice are:
The good news about smoking is that it's a dose-reponse thing. That is, the more you smoke, the more you harm yourself. So, if you just smoke one or two a day you're probably not harming yourself very much at all.

The tobacco companies have, however, made sure that this is very difficult to sustain by enhancing the addictiveness of tabs. They do this by chemically extracting the natural nicotine then replacing it with a chemically-rarefied form of it which degrades much more quickly in the body. The result is that you get a quicker hit off the tab, but you start craving more almost immediately. I don't like being a victim of this.

(By the way, the evidence on passive smoking is based on non-smokers who lived their whole lives in a house with a smoker, so spending a few hours in a smoky pub almost certainly does negligible amounts of harm)

The bad news about moderate smoking (10 a day for adulthood) is best summed up by tossing a coin: heads it kills you. If you're happy with those odds, fine.

The thing that made me determined to stop wasn't death. Who's scared of that? I'm an atheist so I don't expect to spend eternity having a red-hot a poker shoved up my ass. No, what does it for me are things like COPD (spending your last six months of life gasping for breath), peripheral vascular disease (spending years in excruciating pain as the blood supply to your limbs slowly shuts down), and amputation (me, I like having arms and legs). Oh, and knowing my grandchildren.

Sorry, rant over. Obviously, people have to make their own decisions; just thought I'd share the perspective of someone who, at the age of 17, thought he could smoke and not get addicted.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:36 AM   #135
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

is this a bleak outcome of life to come for me then?
lol. i dont really mind. i have more worrying health problems to deal with, apart from smoking.
and i heard that bbq smoke does just as much damage to your lungs and car exhausts

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 01-29-2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #136
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

" i dont smoke "

except on saturdays when im drinking and go through about 3 packets lol. Anyone else have that problem?

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:19 PM   #137
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
" i dont smoke "

except on saturdays when im drinking and go through about 3 packets lol. Anyone else have that problem?
i don't call that a problem. thats the start of a good night in the pub with friends.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:52 PM   #138
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

and i heard that bbq smoke does just as much damage to your lungs and car exhausts
only if you smoke meat and cars.

isnt denial just great?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #139
Lótiel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
" i dont smoke "

Hehe. I´m just like that. I really enjoy sigarets and alkohol together. I really miss something if I don´t combine them! So, I smoke everytime I drink, but as long as I don´t drink more then 2-3 times a week it´s fine.
Lótiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 03:00 PM   #140
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

lol
yep denial is great its one of the things i cannot live without

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 01-29-2004 at 03:02 PM.