Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #121
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

It looks like the Liberals could form and lead a coalition government after all.

Without much insight in Canadian politics, I heard that conservatives were screaming "undemocratic!" about the prospect of loosing a confidence vote. It does taste somewhat like a coup d'état but I wouldn't consider it undemocratic. It is after all a parliamentary majority that makes the call. Still, from what I've gathered, a coalition of Liberals, New Democrats and separatists would be very fragile. Political stability is highly valuable so even if I supported the opposition, I would think twice before supporting such a move.

Nurv, what are your thoughts?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #122
inked
Elf Lord

ooooooooh! JUST CLOSE DOWN THE GOVERNMENT TO PREVENT YOUR OUSTER

http://charter.net/news/read.php?ps=...ARSDCCLM_UNEWS

My. Thought that the Charter thingy ought to protect the people from this sort of totalitarianism..............................:conf used:....................

Help, NURV.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #123
Jonathan

Well technically the Governor General suspended parliament, not the prime minister. Kinda downplays the allegations of totalitarianism.

But I wonder, on which grounds did the governor feel the need to go along with Harper's request?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #124
inked
Elf Lord

Yeah. Somebody else has gotten the connivance of other parts of the government in hoodoo-ing the public. Name escapes me at the moment....

But seriously, what's with this?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #125
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Well technically the Governor General suspended parliament, not the prime minister. Kinda downplays the allegations of totalitarianism.

But I wonder, on which grounds did the governor feel the need to go along with Harper's request?
I think she did this because it's the least invasive of her four possible choices.

It would have been a bigger deal if Parliment wouldn't already have gone on Christmas break a week from now. Basically, they let them check out a week early.

Personally I wouldn't have minded the Coalition as government (NDP + Liberals in the government, with support from the Bloc). However, I understand why she made the choice that she did.

In late January when Parliment returns, Harper will introduce a budget that the majority of the House supports, or his government will fall. He had better get a new attitude before then or he's toast.

People just don't trust Harper anymore unless they like the Conservatives. But a government has to earn the trust of all Canadians, not just their supporters. This is something that in three years, he has completely failed to learn. He has a month and a half. I doubt he will recover from the enourmous blunder.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 PM   #126
inked
Elf Lord

What four choices, Nurv? Fire? Sword? Jail? Exile?

Help us nonCanadians get a handle on this.

One person can suspend the elected government?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #127
Jonathan

Here's a funny article that explains the Canadian crisis to the average American

Dear neighbour, about what's going on in Canada

Quote:
My dear American neighbours,

I see the political crisis in Canada has finally made it into the Washington Post's Foreign Briefs column.

So, anticipating a flood of interest from all of you at the dog run in the morning, let me try to give you some idea of what's happening up there.

A few weeks ago, we had an election in Canada, a couple of weeks before yours, actually. A political party known as the Conservatives won.

Well, sort of. They didn't win in the sense that most of you understand winning. I'll get to that in a second.

They also aren't what most of you would consider conservative.

They support what you call socialized medicine, they believe in protecting a Canadian-controlled banking system, they believe in government as a vehicle for transferring wealth between regions, and they've actually muzzled party members who tried to make abortion a campaign issue.

In fact, instead of making his Sunday trip to church a photo opportunity, our Conservative leader refuses to discuss his faith in public. (Like many Americans, he's an evangelical Christian)

[cont'd]

Last edited by Jonathan : 12-06-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #128
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
What four choices, Nurv? Fire? Sword? Jail? Exile?

Help us nonCanadians get a handle on this.

One person can suspend the elected government?
The governer general can suspend the government (prorogue) at the request of the Prime Minister. She can't just do it whenever she feels like it.

Her other options were let the coalition take over the government (she could only do that because they formally asked her), or call an election (because the government had lost the confidence of the House). Actually, I think that's it, so three options. (I'll come in again.)

Jonathan, the article you linked is hilarious!
Quote:
The current office holder, Michaëlle Jean, used to be a CBC reporter. Like me.

Actually, the one before her was once a CBC reporter, too. So were two others in the recent past. In our country, any CBC reporter can dream of becoming head of state.
Ahahahahaha*gasp* *gasp*hahahahaha!!!

It's funny because it's true.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #129
inked
Elf Lord

Ah, Canadian politicians! Can't call a spade a spade in a poker game, either, I bet.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../17610021.html

"News Canada
Honour killings term angers Trudeau

By BRYN WEESE, Parliamentary Bureau

Last Updated: March 15, 2011 4:34am

OTTAWA - Liberal MP Justin Trudeau said the government should not call honour killings "barbaric" in a study guide for would-be Canadian citizens.

..."

You simply must read this for the sheer enjoyment of stupidity. Seriously.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:54 AM   #130
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Ah, Canadian politicians! Can't call a spade a spade in a poker game, either, I bet.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../17610021.html

"News Canada
Honour killings term angers Trudeau

By BRYN WEESE, Parliamentary Bureau

Last Updated: March 15, 2011 4:34am

OTTAWA - Liberal MP Justin Trudeau said the government should not call honour killings "barbaric" in a study guide for would-be Canadian citizens.

..."

You simply must read this for the sheer enjoyment of stupidity. Seriously.
Well, it's actually just one Canadian politician commenting on an official Canadian government policy.

Still, I'm glad to see them pointing out to new citizens and residents that accepting gay marriage is one requirement for becoming a member of a civilised society

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 03-19-2011 at 02:55 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #131
inked
Elf Lord

Ah, civilized society withdraws from the Kyoto protocol. See here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...NqO_story.html

Why, you ask?

"“To meet the targets under Kyoto for 2012 would be the equivalent of either removing every car, truck, ATV, tractor, ambulance, police car and vehicle of every kind from Canadian roads or closing down the entire farming and agriculture sector and cutting heat to every home, office, hospital, factory and building in Canada,” Kent said."

But, other than those minor inconveniences, remaining "in" and not meeting the goals would have resulted in a 14 billion dollar fine, oops, "penalties".

Tough choices to be sure: no vehicles or no food and no heat or 14 billion dollar loss.

Which would you have chosen?
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #132
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Are you still saying that global warming is a myth or have you moved on to the solar radiation gambit?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #133
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Tough choices to be sure: no vehicles or no food and no heat or 14 billion dollar loss.

Which would you have chosen?
Oh puh-lease... as if that is the actual choice Canada had to make.

From what I can tell the reason for pulling out is purely economical. If the USA won't touch Kyoto, then Canada is economically in a very tough competitive position compared to its big neighbour.

But hey, it sounds so much better if you just say they'll have to give up on heating, food production, public services like police and ambulances as well as personal transport for Kyoto. Yeah, those specific points are exactly the very things Canada would have to sacrifice to meet that cruel, cruel, cruel Kyoto norm. I'm surprised education wasn't included, that always works well too to get an emotional response so people won't dwell on the faulty logic behind this sort of comparison.

That said, I can understand Canada for pulling out, but let's not hide behind straw men and let's be honest about the real reasons, shall we? Tar sands. Protecting the own economic interests. In the end everybody will protect their own economy. It's hard to implement long-term strategies and decisions needed for Kyoto if the big polluters happily go about their business and thus can out-compete the others. But that's just how global politics are these days. Visionary treaties of the past, like say the Antarctica Treaty, just couldn't come about today. That sort of idealism is sadly considered out-dated.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #134
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
That said, I can understand Canada for pulling out, but let's not hide behind straw men and let's be honest about the real reasons, shall we? Tar sands. Protecting the own economic interests.
Ouch.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #135
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well said Earniel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Visionary treaties of the past, like say the Antarctica Treaty, just couldn't come about today. That sort of idealism is sadly considered out-dated.
Depressingly so.

(Although it is good news that China and the US haven't bailed on Durban YET)

Maybe the Great Depression of 2012-2020 will achieve by accident what we can't by design.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #136
inked
Elf Lord

Not that I had thought of it, but if global warming continues, will it make more tar sands available for increased economic growth?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #137
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Maybe not, but Hamilton, Ontario will have a climate like Hamilton, Bermuda, and Long Beach, Vancouver Island will be like Long Beach, California.

And people wonder why Canada is dedicated to promoting global warming

Bru-wa-ha-ha-ha!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #138
inked
Elf Lord

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! I knew there was a secret subturfugeneous reason for tar sand exploitation over Kyoto.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #139
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Heh, I guess in that scenario they won't have to worry anymore about giving up their heating either...
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #140
inked
Elf Lord

Another incursion into the great northerness by unscrupulous USA entrepeneur types. O the inhumanity (literally)

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...rence-to-the-b