Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-11-2002, 09:01 PM   #121
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I think I might be talking out my ass again.
And that's different how? j/k. I couldn't resist you left yourself wide open. I'll remove this comment if you want. It was just too funny to pass up.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:03 PM   #122
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I couldn't resist you left yourself wide open.
That is a terrible, terrible, terrible pun JD.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:05 PM   #123
jerseydevil

Quote:

That is a terrible, terrible, terrible pun JD.
Wow - I didn't even look at the pun side of that until you pointed it out.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 09:09 PM   #124
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Just call me Mrs Filthy.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:36 PM   #125
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

1967 was a watershed year, when multiple influences of a variety of sources and the rapid globalization of the music industry. The concept album was definitely part of that era. More people copied the Beatles by far, than they copied, or were inspired by, others. They didn't operate in a vacuum and did get ideas from many sources. The greatest things about the Beatles that made them truely unique in Rock is that they could all sing, play their instruments, write and produce their own music. That was very rare at the time. Performers until that time rarely wrote their own music. As for the early stuff, they did include a lot of covers to satisfy the record labels who didn't believe in them as writers at first. Beatlemania cured that.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:21 PM   #126
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Beatlemania cured that
... Which America was rather slow to latch onto...
Old 08-11-2002, 10:48 PM   #127
Cirdan

Quote:

... Which America was rather slow to latch onto...
Que? I think I would have remembered that. Once they got airplay here they went right to the top of the charts.

Even more popular than Petula Clark.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 11:00 PM   #128
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Sorry - I can't resist when people start talking about the Beatles. The Beatles early on were inspired by american artists, many of thier early music were cover songs of these artists. An example: Babys in Black. The greatness of the Beatles is they could play instruments, sing and write there own songs (and to a lesser extent were good looking). Paul could sing, write and play the guitar, drums, piano and horn I think. John could write, sing and play guitar, keyboard, piano and mouth organ. George could write, sing and play the guitar and sitar. Ringo could write, sing (no jokes ) and play the drums. Which boy bands now can boast that?
Beatlemania is an interesting phenomena. When the Beatles first go to America in early 1964 they were besieged at the airport. There performance on the Ed Sullivan show was watched by millions of people. After that there were screaming girls wherever they went.
I think Sgt. Pepper started as a concept album, but then they couldn't be bothered so they just did a normal album. They were going to assume other identities, but just decided to begin with Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and the pentultimate Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band repeat.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:21 AM   #129
Cirdan

Beatles... anytime!

I just remember that the only music I listened to until the time I was 9 or 10 was the Beatles'. During one phase I would come home every day of third grade and listen to "Revolver"; 2 or 3 times on rainy days. My earliest memories of my siblings and cousins are mostly related to how we all loved the Beatles. I wasn't until 1969 that I bothered buying anything else. I would listen to anything on the radio, which wasn't much in Florida in the 60's (Beach Boys, Stones, a few others). I had to rely on older sibs to get the good stuff. I used to sit outside my brother's door to listen to Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix because most radio stations ther wouldn't play the real "hippie" music. Big dumb ol' Florida Then we moved to DC and I could listen to WHFS on FM! There were some wild, radical stations here then, especially on the campus stations. :lingering geezer moment: *sigh* After that the flood gates opened... 'cause when the levee breaks...

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-13-2002, 01:22 AM   #130
jerseydevil

I thought this was so funny I had to share it. This was in the Star Ledger today.

Quote:
Who'd mind if these celebrities were lost in space?

To the Russian space agency:

I've been reading with alarm newspaper reports that say you might cancel an agreement to allow Lance Bass, from the singing group 'N Sync, to travel to the International Space Station aboard your Soyuz spacecraft. These reports say Lance has not come up with the money he was supposed to pay for the priviledge of becoming a space tourist. The fee was believed to be in the range of $15 million to $20 million, and word is, Lance is about $15 million to $20 million short.

As Russian spokesman Sergei Gorbunov told Reuters, "Theoretically, we can already dissolve his contract."

I'm begging you not to. In fact, please know that I have $478.62 in my checking account and am willing to put every cent of it on Lance's bill. Plus, I can get you another five or six hundred dollars by payday. Maybe you wouldn't mind taking a postdated check?

Perhaps you're wondering why this means so much to me.

Well, forgive me for saying this, but I think you're missing what we in America call the "big picture." By that, I mean you've failed to consider what a service you do for our country when you strap our celebrities to flaming rockets and shoot them off into space. Heck, if you play your cards right, this could be a real growth industry for you.

I don't blame you if you don't understand why I say that. You're not exposed to American pop culture on a daily basis, so there's no way for you to appreciate how truly noxious it can sometimes be. Take it from me; it's pretty bad. So much so that many of us believe prolonged exposure makes you stupider by the minute. Indeed, shocking research I just made up indicates that spending half an hour watching "Smackdown!" causes your IQ to drop by a full 10 points.

That's why I think you have a golden oppurtunity here. You need to realize that many Americans would happily pay through the nose -- that means, pay a whole lot of money -- to send certain celebrities into orbit. Indeed, I'd be willing to use the good offices of this column to get the word out on your behalf.

Think about it. You were willing to send one member of 'N Sync into space for $15 mil to $20 mil. Maybe you could give us a package deal for the entire group? Send four, get one free?

Come on, let's do business here. Name your price. How much would you charge to send P. Diddy and J-Lo into space? How about Michael Jackson and Al Sharpton ? But don't stop there. Send Tom Green and Anna Nicole Smith. Send Whitney and Bobby, Britney and Christina, the Spice Girls and the Backstreet Boys. Send Miss Cleo and Dennis Rodman. Send Paula Jones, Amy Fisher and Tonya Harding. Send Maury, Jerry, Jenny and Ricki. Send anybody who's ever been on "Survivor," "Temptation Island," "Big Brother" or "Meet My Folks." Send everybody who's ever been an executive of Fox.

Send everybody who's famous and no one knows why. Send anybody who's stretching fame into the 16th minute. Send O.J. so he can search for the real killers. Send Kato to keep him company.

I'm telling you, there's more money to be made here. And you'll notice I haven't even mentioned Congress. There's a whole 'nother revenue stream right there. If you think we're eager to send our celebrities into orbit, wait till you see how we feel about our politicians.

So what do you say? Do we have a deal? I'm telling you, if you play your cards right, you could earn, conservatively speaking, a hundred bajillion dollars. In addition, you would have the undying gratitude of your friends, the American people.

Now that I think about it, though, there might be one hitch. So far, every journey to the space station has been round trip, but I think I speak for my fellow Americans when I say we're only interested in buying one-way tickets. Naturally, we expect that you will adjust that $15 million to $20 million fare since you won't be bringing our celebrities back.

Does two hundred bajillion sound fair?

Leornard Pitts Jr. - columnist for the Miami Herald
I hope you liked that. I had to hand type it, but I thought it was too funny not to include here.

I would add to the list of celebrities - the Baldwins, Richard Gere and Martin Sheen.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-13-2002 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:37 AM   #131
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My marching band thing is the Beatles this year, and no one, not even our directors, really grew up with the Beatles, but we all know them (except one girl, but her mom hates them, and says she probably won't even come to our performances...weird). That's pop culture with staying power!
Old 08-13-2002, 01:43 AM   #132
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Too funny, JD!