Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:41 AM   #1321
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen

Lai, I keep forgetting about the Deutsch Hausübung! Entschuldigung! Jag lovar jag ska snart göra det! Too lazy to look up words, though.

[Edit] Argh! Stop me from starting to learn Icelandic! Stop, stop!
Never mind. Never mind.
At the moment I have hardly the time to correct it and think of a new one so don't stress yourself. I'm a patient teacher.

You do not want to learn Icelandic. No. No. No.

Quote:
Danke, Lalaith, dass du mir gerettet hast!
sorry again.. It's 2 a.m. here..
Aber das mache ich doch gerne. Kein Problem.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #1322
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Never mind. Never mind.
At the moment I have hardly the time to correct it and think of a new one so don't stress yourself. I'm a patient teacher.

You do not want to learn Icelandic. No. No. No.

Ok, sehr gut. I'm not stressing myself. I'm just thinking of some really hard and irritating Swedish questions to ask.

Icelandic is really nice! Other Nordic language-speakers, how easy is this:

Hús er gult.
Barn er ungt.
Skip er langt.

Men jag vet att det blir svårare....
Old 04-11-2004, 09:04 AM   #1323
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Hús er gult.
Barn er ungt.
Skip er langt.

Men jag vet att det blir svårare....
Jepp. Lätt, lätt. Though Havamal has way more complicated sentences than those. I know, I've tried to read it.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:12 AM   #1324
Janny
The Blobbit

lol, Lin!
What is the verb you're conjegating there anyway?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #1325
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
lol, Lin!
What is the verb you're conjegating there anyway?
Heh?

I was supposed to conjugate various verbs. It's fun, wanna try it?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:19 AM   #1326
Janny
The Blobbit

What's
Hús er gult.
Barn er ungt.
Skip er langt.
then?

Also...
ich spiele
du spielst
er/sie/es spielt
wir spielen
Sie spielen
ihr spielt?
sie spielen

or maybe just...
I play, you play, he she it plays, we play, they play. Tot leicht!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:16 AM   #1327
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin .......
Das ist eine der besten Geburtstagsnachrichten, die ich jemals bekommen habe. Thank you. Du bist die Beste. Ich freue mich so. Das kann nur ein super Geburtstag werden. Tausend Bussis .....

to make it easier for you: This is one of the best Birthday messages I ever got. Thank you. You are the best. I am so happy/glad. There is no other way than having a great birthday. Thousand kisses .....
Old 04-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #1328
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Bah, det är procent som räknas . Men finska är i alla fall vårt största minoritetsspråk och SVT har ju vissa nyhetssändningar på finska (Uutiset).
Är du rädd att du skulle bli tvungen att lära dej finska? Här måste ju majoriteten lära sej minoritetsspråket..
Jo, jag har sett Uutiset från Sverige. Men jag tycker mest om när de har nyheter på samiska!

Quote:
Kom till Australien, då ska du få en australiensk dialekt (accent?).

Don't Swedes usually say anything positive about it?
Jag vill så gärna! Det vet du ju redan! Do not tempt me!

Som du kanske har hört bråkar vi lite med varanni Skandinavien.. Men vi tycker om varann ändå!
eller hur Jonathan?..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-11-2004, 06:26 PM   #1329
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerdanel
Är du rädd att du skulle bli tvungen att lära dej finska? Här måste ju majoriteten lära sej minoritetsspråket..
Jo, jag har sett Uutiset från Sverige. Men jag tycker mest om när de har nyheter på samiska!
Just ja, det var det jag tänkte fråga om. Jag läste att man i Finland tagit ett steg mot att avskaffa den obligatoriska svenskan i skolan. Samtidigt ska de svensktalande slippa läsa finska. De finlandssvenska politikerna rasar tydligen mot detta men ålänningarna är glada, de verkar vilja slippa läsa finska.
Stämmer allt detta? Vad tycker du? Skulle du ha velat slippa finskundervisningen mot att svenskan avskaffades för de finsktalande?

Quote:
Som du kanske har hört bråkar vi lite med varanni Skandinavien.. Men vi tycker om varann ändå!
eller hur Jonathan?..
Visst gör vi det! Finnarna är så gosiga så
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #1330
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
[Edit] Argh! Stop me from starting to learn Icelandic! Stop, stop!
[hypnotic voice]No you don't want to learn Icelandic. Je wil Nederlands leren, geef het maar toe. If Magnus Backstedt can do it, so can you. [/hypnotic voice]

Quote:
Ach, that's ignorant! Worse than the Dutch people who wondered what language we spoke in Australia.
That wasn't me. (I do hope)
Old 04-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #1331
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
[hypnotic voice]No you don't want to learn Icelandic. Je wil Nederlands leren, geef het maar toe. If Magnus Backstedt can do it, so can you. [/hypnotic voice]
Nee, je wil Zweeds leren!

Funny that 'je' means 'you' in Dutch and 'I' in French. Reminds me of the archaic Swedish word 'I', which means 'you'.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #1332
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:

Isn't German really similar to Dutch sometimes...
Du willst lernen
Je wil leren

Wow...

Old 04-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #1333
Earniel

That's unfair competing, Jonathan! You know I can't speak Swedish!

I hadn't noticed the 'je'-simularity. Luckily the French and Dutch 'je' are pronounced differently.

Not that that has any influence what so ever on a messageboard, mind you.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:31 PM   #1334
Jonathan

Quote:
Isn't German really similar to Dutch sometimes...
Du willst lernen
Je wil leren
I think German and Dutch always look similar.

Quote:
That's unfair competing, Jonathan! You know I can't speak Swedish!
And I can't speak Nederlands, so what is the problem?
By the way... How the heck is 'Eärniel' pronounced? It is very tempting to pronounce the /ä/ like the Swedish letter /ä/.

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-12-2004 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #1335
Earniel

Quote:
And I can't speak Nederlands, so what is the problem?
Hm, *eyes Jonathan suspiciously* then you obviously have your hands on a very nifty translater...

EDIT: Or, I realise just now, you could have copied much from my own sentence.

*hits herself on the head*

Quote:
By the way... How the heck is 'Eärniel' pronounced? It is very tempting to pronounce the /ä/ like the Swedish letter /ä/.
Good question. I'd say I probably pronounce it in a mix of Dutch and English. I say the 'e' and 'a' seperately as I would in Dutch since 'ea' is not a sound on its own in Dutch as it is in English. In Dutch the double dots signify splitting the vowels anyway so they don't change the sound of the 'a'.

But I also split the 'i' and 'e' sound in the second sylable because my copy of the Silmarillion says that the 'i' and 'e' in the 'ie'-sound should be said separately. In ordinary Dutch the 'ie' is a sound that corresponds with the English 'ee'.

Sooooo, probably something like 'eh-yar-nih-elle'. But it'd be interesting to hear what other people make of it.

Doesn't the Swedish 'ä' sound like the German 'e'?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:47 PM   #1336
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Just ja, det var det jag tänkte fråga om. Jag läste att man i Finland tagit ett steg mot att avskaffa den obligatoriska svenskan i skolan. Samtidigt ska de svensktalande slippa läsa finska. De finlandssvenska politikerna rasar tydligen mot detta men ålänningarna är glada, de verkar vilja slippa läsa finska.
Stämmer allt detta? Vad tycker du? Skulle du ha velat slippa finskundervisningen mot att svenskan avskaffades för de finsktalande?

Visst gör vi det! Finnarna är så gosiga så
Jo, det stämmer. Jag tycker inte alls om det. Det kommer absolut att sänka svenskans status i Finland.
Det finns många finnar som inte behöver svenska i vardagen. Men vi har ju rätt att få service på svenska i hela landet; och detta kan bli svårare om finnarna inte vill läsa svenska.
Finlandssvenskarna måste däremot läsa finska för att klara sig i arbetslivet i Finland: annars blir de så låsta i svenskfinland (eller så måste de flytta till Sverige ). Det som är bra är ju förstås att finskan inte behöver vara obligatorisk: man kan klara studenten fastän man inte klarar finskan. Men det har visat sig att man inte bryr sig lika mycket om de frivilliga ämnena som de obligatoriska, och därför läser man mindre på dem.

Jag skulle ändå ha läst och skrivit finska, eftersom jag är tvåspråkig. Så för mig personligen är det ingen skillnad.

Jag vet inte riktigt om gosiga är det rätta ordet, men..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 04-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #1337
Jonathan

Quote:
Sooooo, probably something like 'eh-yar-nih-elle'. But it'd be interesting to hear what other people make of it.

Doesn't the Swedish 'ä' sound like the German 'e'?
No, the Swedish 'ä' sounds like the English 'ai' in 'fair'.
I'd pronounce 'Eärniel' almost like you do, but with the 'ai' sound.
eh-air-nih-elle

Quote:
Or, I realise just now, you could have copied much from my own sentence.
You can get far by copying others

Quote:
Jag skulle ändå ha läst och skrivit finska, eftersom jag är tvåspråkig. Så för mig personligen är det ingen skillnad.

Jag vet inte riktigt om gosiga är det rätta ordet, men..
Aja, hoppas ändå inte tvåspråkigheten försvinner alldeles från Finland. Jag vill gärna kunna komma dit och prata svenska.

Du, alla mumintroll är gosiga

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-12-2004 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #1338
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
What's
Hús er gult.
Barn er ungt.
Skip er langt.
then?

Also...
ich spiele
sie spielen
Hús er gult. House is yellow
Barn er ungt. Child is young
Skip er langt. Ship is long

Haha, in Swedish it's just
Jag leker
Du leker
Han/Hon/Det/Den leker.... and so on.

Hahah. I was thinking more of imperfect tense inflections. Rather fun. Jag tyckte om det, hon stängde av teven, han tände en cigarett. (I liked it, she turned off the TV, he lit a cigarette). Sorry about the odd examples, all the initial examples that popped into my head were irregular. )

Last edited by Linaewen : 04-13-2004 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:20 AM   #1339
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:

That wasn't me. (I do hope)
Eärniel, I am trying not to learn Nederlands, so as not to kill myself with languages. The number of times I had to resist buying a book about Dutch from the bookstore...it's all your fault, I tell you. Those grammar bits I tric...got you to tell me about got me so interested.

No, Eä, you are a Belgian, not a Dutch person. Dutch people didn't know what language we spoke, I'm sure you Flemish people are much better, hihihi.

Eärniel: I pronounce your name in my own strange way, as I tend to do; ee-AR-ni-el. /är/ like that of the Swedish sound. (Which is not the same as normal Swedish /ä/). I tend to mix different prounciations based on the pronunciations of sounds in various languages.

Last edited by Linaewen : 04-13-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 PM   #1340
Jonathan

Our teacher in French has gotten really interested in China lately. She even had us go to another class and bring one of their students back with us, a student who is originally from China and fluent in Cantonese. She had to translate stuff from Cantonese to French and stuff.
So right now we're studying Chinese in French classes
Closed Thread