Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #1261
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte, but only because I have to. I'm not a Bronte fan - far too emotional for me!
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 AM   #1262
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ethuiliel
Yeah, my mom's Dutch. I speak it, but not as well as English, so I read it as a sort of chalenge to myself.
If you want to practise Dutch, hop over to the Official Language Thread in the GM-forum.

(And to stay on topic: ) I'm currently reading LoTR and Terry Pratchett's Night Watch.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #1263
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerdanel
I'm reading a book, Tolkien och den svarta magin (roughly: Tolkien and the black magic), by Åke Ohlmarks. Ohlmarks is a Swedish guy, who has translated LotR into Swedish. He has been very critizised for his translations, and in the book I'm reading he has "discovered" the dark side of some Tolkiensocieties: drugs and death!

Well. I haven't read that much yet, but I'm sure I'll post more when I've read it.
Yes, I've read a little about Ohlmark's book. As far as I know, he started to hate the Tolkien community after being harassed by some Tolkien freak. So what he did was to write this book, Tolkien and the black magic, in which he distorted facts and made the Tolkien community look like some satanistic cult or similar.

Currently, the Swedish version of LotR is being retranslated. Ohlmark's version was very bad actually, and he had taken quite some freedoms and translated the books a little after his own will. So right now some new translators are working on making the Swedish version of LotR as true to Tolkien as possible.

Oh, and I'm currently reading Orwell's 1984
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:49 AM   #1264
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
i just started the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and it sounds amazing, i just love the whole secret society part of it (reminds me of the Stone cutters simpsons episode) and the religious weirdo's in it, talk about queer
a very good book. I read it over my winter break. I didn't know much about the subject matter before I read it, but it was still facinating. I love the confluence of art hist. and religion. (not to mention it says exactly what I want it to say about early Christianity ) I hope you like it.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #1265
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I recently discoved David Eddings, a fairly good fantasy author. After reading his first series I dived right into the second. Currently I'm on The King of Murgos and also working on The Fellowship simultaneously.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Old 04-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #1266
Mercutio

Currently: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (by Mark Twain; for term paper)

Going to start: Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde and some mysteries by Agatha Christie.

*Also just finished, Knight's Gambit, by William Faulkner. Great complicated, excellently written short stories (mystery).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:55 PM   #1267
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

just finished the bell jar (pretty good; odd, but good)
re-reading The Ring of Five Dragons by Eric Lustbader then I have to re-read The Veil of a Thousand Tears so that i remember everything when i read the book i really want to read, the third in that trilogy: Mistress of the Pearl

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #1268
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

William Faulkner?
That name sounds very familiar to me, though I don't think I've heard of any of his books.....hmmm....

Old 04-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #1269
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
William Faulkner?
That name sounds very familiar to me, though I don't think I've heard of any of his books.....hmmm....
He also wrote "As I Lay Dying", another book I read. Its ...different. He's an American author.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #1270
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
He also wrote "As I Lay Dying", another book I read. Its ...different. He's an American author.
American Southern author. Have you read "The Sound and the Fury"? It also falls under the catagory of ...different. very cool though.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:20 PM   #1271
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
American Southern author. Have you read "The Sound and the Fury"? It also falls under the catagory of ...different. very cool though.
Nope. But I'm pretty sure we have it. I'll work on it after I finish "Picture of Dorian Gray" (I'm about halfway through that.)

Old 04-09-2004, 05:51 PM   #1272
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I've never read his books but think I've just heard mention of him.

Old 04-12-2004, 04:23 AM   #1273
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I have been reading so much lately! I read "Of Mice and Men," and started "The Mists of Avalon." For my English class, I am also reading "Things Fall Apart" (by Chinua Achebe). Has anyone read it before? I am enjoying it a lot.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Old 04-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #1274
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I have been reading so much lately! I read "Of Mice and Men," and started "The Mists of Avalon." For my English class, I am also reading "Things Fall Apart" (by Chinua Achebe). Has anyone read it before? I am enjoying it a lot.
No--but I read Of Mice and Men last summer. Its another book that falls under the "...different" category (I have so many in that! I'm beginning to wonder what books I don't consider ...different )

Old 04-12-2004, 09:40 AM   #1275
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I just read it for the second time (for the second english class ). I really liked it too. There are lots of subtleties that are very subtle. How indepth are you going with it?
Old 04-12-2004, 03:18 PM   #1276
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor
I just read it for the second time (for the second english class ). I really liked it too. There are lots of subtleties that are very subtle. How indepth are you going with it?
I don't know how far indepth my teacher is going to discuss it with us; we're talking about it on Thursday I think, and we'll probably spend at least 2 classes on it. It's for my Advanced Placement grade 12 english course, so I'm sure we'll talk about it on a deeper level than other "normal" english classes. I'll tell you more once we've discussed it.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Old 04-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #1277
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

That's the class I read it in. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #1278
Caro
Sapling

I'm reading Fellowship of the Ring for the first time at the moment. I'm currently reading the chapter ''A Journey in the Dark'' (I'm almost done with that chapter though...).

Last edited by Caro : 04-17-2004 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:21 PM   #1279
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I'm reading His Dark Materials.
I've already read Golden Compass and Subtle Knife, and I'm almost done with Amber Spyglass. (I had a lot of time in the car during my spring break with nothing else to do. )

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 04-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #1280
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Anne of Green Gables
Jacob Have I Loved
A Wrinkle in Time
Willow and Twig
The Princess and the Goblin
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
A Wind in the Willows
and Tom Sawyer

all for my directed study crash-course in Children's Lit.
Closed Thread