Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 02:46 PM   #1261
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

What do you mean why? Didn't Bilbo said he's the Barrel Rider?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:19 PM   #1262
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Aha!

Smaugh thought that Bilbo meant he was a trader from Esgaroth, who rode on rafts with bunches of barrels.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:51 PM   #1263
jsandecker
Hobbit

I think Elvengirl got it. Smaug said, "'Very well, O Barrel-rider!' he said aloud. 'Maybe Barrel was your pony's name" Your turn, Elvengirl.

"Achoo! Sorry, I'm allergic to bullsh!t."
-Will Smith, I ROBOT
Old 10-27-2003, 09:34 PM   #1264
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

At what time did the auction begin the day Bilbo returned?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Old 10-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #1265
jsandecker
Hobbit

The auction began at 10:00 am, but Bilbo got back at noon.

-Will Smith, I ROBOT

Last edited by jsandecker : 10-28-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:01 PM   #1266
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Yeppers

Old 10-30-2003, 09:43 AM   #1267
jsandecker
Hobbit

Here's one. Where was Billbo when he first said he would rather be at home?

-Will Smith, I ROBOT

Last edited by jsandecker : 10-30-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:46 AM   #1268
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Hokay... I guess I'll guess.

Was it when he caught up to the dwarves at the place where they were departing from, after running there from his home when Gandalf showed him the note on the mantlepiece - and he made it just in time, but didn't have anything with him? Just at the beginning of chapter 2?
Old 10-31-2003, 06:10 PM   #1269
jsandecker
Hobbit

Yup. You got it. It was about 4 pages into chapter 2. They were on the trail that led them to the trolls. Your turn, Valandil.

-Will Smith, I ROBOT
Old 10-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #1270
Valandil

Strider

Two Goblin Kings were killed in "The Hobbit"... who killed each of them?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:52 PM   #1271
jsandecker
Hobbit

Let's see... I know this one, but I'll see if someone else can get it.

-Will Smith, I ROBOT
Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 AM   #1272
jsandecker
Hobbit

Well, since no one else volunteered an answer, I guess I'll have a go.
Gandalf killed the Great Goblin in the underground tunnels, and Beorn killed Bolg(not sure if that's right) at the battle of Five Armies.

-Will Smith, I ROBOT
Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #1273
Valandil

Strider

Don't have a book here to verify Bolg - but that sounds right. You're certainly right on the part I asked... your turn!
Old 11-03-2003, 05:06 PM   #1274
jsandecker
Hobbit

Here goes...
What did Bilbo give to the Elvenking, and why did he give it to him?

-Will Smith, I ROBOT
Old 11-03-2003, 11:27 PM   #1275
Maedhros
The Tall

From The Hobbit: The Return Journey
Quote:
"I beg of you," said Bilbo stammering and standing on one foot, "to accept this gift!" and he brought out a necklace of silver and pearls that Dain had given him at their parting.
"In what way have I earned such a gift, O hobbit?" said the king.
"Well, er, I thought, don't you know," said Bilbo rather confused, "that, er, some little return should be made for your, er, hospitality. I mean even a burglar has his feelings. I have drunk much of your wine and eaten much of your bread."
"I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!" said the king gravely. "And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!"
Now my question is this:
From From The Hobbit: Roast Mutton
Quote:
Others said: "These parts are none too well known, and are too near the mountains. Travellers seldom come this way now. The old maps are no use: things have changed for the worse and the road is unguarded. They have seldom even heard of the king round here, and the less inquisitive you are as you go along, the less trouble you are likely to find."
Who is this king that they are referring in this part?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:34 PM   #1276
Valandil

Strider

Is that answer in "The Hobbit" though?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:16 AM   #1277
Maedhros
The Tall

The answer is in the Hobbit and it's incredibly simple.
Thinking about it now, the question needs rewording. What does the phrase in bold means?
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.

Last edited by Maedhros : 11-04-2003 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:13 PM   #1278
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I don't know where the specific answer is, but I figured it they were talkin about the Numenorean kings.

Old 11-04-2003, 09:37 PM   #1279
jsandecker
Hobbit

Wild Guess!!! Would it be the king under the mountain? If not, I have no clue.

-Will Smith, I ROBOT
Old 11-10-2003, 09:20 PM   #1280
Maedhros
The Tall

From The Annotated Hobbit: Roast Mutton. Note 14
Quote:
The mention here of the king is probably not meant to refer to an actual personage but instead to invoke the idea of the king as the theoretical source of justice, law, and order.
Who used to wield Glamdring in ancient days, before our party regained it?
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Closed Thread