Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 02:29 PM   #1221
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
At the moment I'm also reading BISMARK - Kampen om atlanten. It being one of my absolute favourite subjects - the German ww II navy.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #1222
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
it is really good!even though i am only in the third chapter.
Quote:
I just finished the Odyssey. How're you liking the Iliad?
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH

Last edited by b.banner : 03-05-2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #1223
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

The Iliad was IMO very good! And the Odysse seems to be even better (on the 4th song now).

Last edited by Falagar : 03-05-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:21 PM   #1224
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by ethuiliel
I'm reading the Acorna series. I already read Acorna, Acorna's Quest, and Acorna's People, and am about to start on the next one.
you like those books? i see them on the shelves at the library all the time and they always appeared a little...corny. (sorry ) are they good?

Quote:
the iliad was IMO very good
yes, but i think the oddesy is better

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #1225
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ethuiliel
I'm reading the Acorna series. I already read Acorna, Acorna's Quest, and Acorna's People, and am about to start on the next one.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you like those books? i see them on the shelves at the library all the time and they always appeared a little...corny. (sorry ) are they good?
I didn't think they were corny. You're oppinion might be different, but I thought they were great. And each book is better than the last. I don't quite know how I tore myself away from it.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 03-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #1226
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I just started the 'Ware' series by Rudy Rucker (Software, Wetware, Freeware, and Realware).
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 03-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #1227
Nimbrennil
Hobbit

letssee...

Hur... I'm reading... hmm... The Two Towers... (just read the Fellowship, btw)... Little Women... The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn... Uncle Tom's Cabin... Villette (?)... Jane Eyre... To Kill a Mockingbird... White Fang... The Call of the Wild... lots of others, but I really can't remember right now, and I'm too lazy to get up and look!

--Nimbrennil
Old 03-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #1228
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Wow! I thought I read a lot of books at once. Good stuff Nim! Welcome to the Moot by the way.

I'm reading "Dune", by Frank Herbert, "The Book of Five Rings", by Miyamoto Musashi, and "Tales from the Perilous Land" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-10-2004, 12:06 AM   #1229
Mercutio

What am I reading?

Right now Huck Finn, for about the fourth time. This is for school though so it also involved doing work (groan).

and real books....? I've been so busy. Everything was over by last Saturday. Now I just need to go the library. I must've read every book in our house. I think i'll try Canterbury Tales and/or Picture of Dorian Grey next.

Mercutio

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #1230
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

i think i'm finally (after thinking i was going to for oh... 8 months or so, maybe more) start reading "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. should be interesting.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #1231
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

I just finished Frank Peretti's book Nightmare Academy, volume 2 of the Veritas Project.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:04 PM   #1232
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldberry1
i think i'm finally (after thinking i was going to for oh... 8 months or so, maybe more) start reading "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. should be interesting.
Oh, I hope you enjoy it. I loved it.

I'm juggling Tad Williams Bk 2 in the Otherland series, and some book that someone is making me read (Da Vinci Code ). *sigh* Too much to read, too little time! AND I've got to get through my assigned readings as well. *sigh* Stupid lecturer tried to give us last weeks readings to (re)read.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:36 PM   #1233
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

lets just say that i usually read a lot, then i get to entmoot and forget my books for months...

Don Quixote (first few chapters)
Evening with the Orchestra (need to finish a very long epilogue)
Taras Bulba (page I)

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 03-17-2004, 01:03 AM   #1234
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Oh, I hope you enjoy it. I loved it.

I'm juggling Tad Williams Bk 2 in the Otherland series, and some book that someone is making me read (Da Vinci Code ). *sigh* Too much to read, too little time! AND I've got to get through my assigned readings as well. *sigh* Stupid lecturer tried to give us last weeks readings to (re)read.
You can make people read books? Could you teach me? I could be a Fedaykin for forcing people to read Dune. And I never said I didn't like the ending.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:47 AM   #1235
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm reading the first book in The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Apparently the first few books are excellent, but then they start to become unbelievable. I'll give them a go, however.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #1236
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm waiting until the series of Wheel of time ever gets finished. I hate reading books and then having to wait a year to get my paw- er hands on the sequel.

Right now I'm reading LoTR (Purely for the LoTR project of course ), The Peter principle and a book about American Gargoyles I got from my sister.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #1237
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Just started the first book in the Wheel of Time-series, expectations kept as low as possible.

Just finished two books, one which I had to read in English-classes ("We All Fall Down" by Robert Cormier) and the first book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire"-series, "A Game of Thrones" and loved it. Had to order the next one from Amazon! Hands itching...
Old 03-17-2004, 07:03 PM   #1238
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I read a review for a book called "Dancing on the Edge" and started reading it. It's pretty good. Not LotR, of course, but okay.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 03-17-2004, 07:10 PM   #1239
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
What am I reading?

Right now Huck Finn, for about the fourth time. This is for school though so it also involved doing work (groan).

and real books....? I've been so busy. Everything was over by last Saturday. Now I just need to go the library. I must've read every book in our house. I think i'll try Canterbury Tales and/or Picture of Dorian Grey next.

Mercutio
The Canterbury Tales are good. Especially the Merchant's Tale - I had to do that for school work.

Quote:
You can make people read books?
Yep. I recently had to read Frankenstein for English. It's a good book, but I just hate being made to read something - I prefer to read at my own pace.

At the moment I'm just concentrating on The Odyssey and Electra mainly for school work - I've put aside all my other books until after my exam preperation.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 03-17-2004, 07:50 PM   #1240
trolls' bane

Cool! I'm trying to get my friend to read Dune and The Silmarillion. He says both are dumb. Fool! He doesn't get it that you can't judge a book by its cover. *sigh* Oh well, his loss.
Wait, maybe I could blackmail him into reading them.
Closed Thread