Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 11:37 AM   #1181
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Heh, bizarrely enough it's NOT raining in Manchester! Something must be wrong with the world.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 10-15-2002, 12:00 PM   #1182
Sween
im quite stupid

Its allways raining when i go and see my sis in manchester but she works in the trafford centre so she says she dont mind the bad weather too much
Old 10-15-2002, 01:43 PM   #1183
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

4-inch heels??!! Ouch! and in the rain!!

It's a wet day here in sunny California, too! Brrrr - just had a hot cup of tea and feel better now. Finally got some antibiotics and am feeling half-human again...

Someone else who is bugged by it's/its! One of my pet peeves. But I think even worse is mixing up their/there/they're. At least it's/its is semi-understandable, because all other possessives are with 's except it's, which is a contraction. Whatever...

Is Tring short for something? Herts is short for Hertfordshire, isn't it? Sorry for my ignorance

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-15-2002, 02:00 PM   #1184
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gah! I hate not being able to find a company that will allow me to do my practical at their office! Curse them root and branch!

I also hate having to go to the city hall. I go to 'environment' at the third floor. I do the whole explanation why I'm there and they send me to 'population' on groundlevel. I go there, do the entire explanation again and then I get to here I should go to 'technical service' on the second floor. I go there, go through the entire explanation AGAIN and they tell me I have to go to 'planologie' on THE BLOODY THIRD FLOOR! At least they were able to help me there.

BTW: I never been able to get the it's/its thing straight. I just use it's always. Should I take cover now?
Old 10-15-2002, 02:21 PM   #1185
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

LET"S GET HER!!!! (joke, joke!)

Hey, English isn't even your first language, so you have an excuse! What is it, your third or so? I'm so jealous!

But if this helps - 's usually shows possession, like "Eärniel's book". However, an apostrophe is also used for contractions, like "what's" for "what is", "haven't" for "have not". But, just to be difficult, in the case of 'it', the apostrophe is used for contraction - i.e., "it's" means "it is", like "it's raining really hard". So you can't use 's for possessive for "it", so it's just "its" for possessive, i.e., "put its book over there". (what a stupid sentence! I can't think of a better one now ) *Eärniel runs away screaming to hide behind chocolates*

Come to think of it, I suppose 's is used for nouns, like Tolkien's, the horse's, etc. Pronouns, like "me", "you", "it", all have special possessive forms - my, your, its. Does that sound right, English its/it's people? Pardon my rambling, but I just thought of that.

BTW, Eärniel, I've seen you mention your "practical" several times - what is that?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-15-2002, 02:41 PM   #1186
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

*comes out of hiding from behind the chocolate*Thanks for the language lesson, RÃ*an. I'll try and remember it from now on. Technically French is my second language but since I'm much better at English than at French, English is sort of my second language.

Well 'practical' is the closest translation I can find for 'stage'. It's (yes, right this time... I think ) a schoolproject I have to do. We (my class and I) have observe for seven days how companies deal with the environment. Especially things like taking soil samples or doing mesurements at exhaustpipes, the practical stuff really. We have to find a company that is willing to let us tag along and observe how these things are done. We have to write a report about it later, what sort of company we visited, what we did, what we thought of the whole bunch, ect. We have to find that company on our own. So I sent two weeks ago letters to 4 companies and I phoned them all on monday. Three of them said 'Sorry but no.' and 'Good luck'. The fourth said I had to call somebody at the head-office because that's where my letter got sent. I phoned this morning and guess what? She doesn't come back until thursday! And in the mean time I'm still here without a company. And it's a big project so I would feel much better if I was able to find one. If the one on thursday calls off too, I have to start all over again. *sigh* The only luck I've got so far is that the others of my class haven't been that lucky either.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:23 PM   #1187
Garina
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an

Is Tring short for something? Herts is short for Hertfordshire, isn't it? Sorry for my ignorance
Don't worry, not many people in England know that Herts stands for Hertfordshire - or not many that I've met! You live in America and you still know this. I stand in awe. Incidentally, Tring is a town in Hertfordshire. It isn't very big.
Tring is quite a dumb name, but it isn't abbreviated. It means "place of trees." There you go, completely useless information about where I live.
Eärniel, sorry to hear about that! Hope someone gives you a place soon.
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Old 10-15-2002, 05:14 PM   #1188
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I hate it when i am totally eclipsed by one of my best friends in absolutely every way.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Old 10-15-2002, 05:20 PM   #1189
Rían

Eärniel - ugh! sounds like the hardest part of the whole thing is finding a company to work with! Good luck!

Garina - thanks! *beams with pride over knowledge of English county abbreviated name* and what a cool city name - so Tolkien-ish! He loved trees.

Old 10-15-2002, 05:20 PM   #1190
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Erawyn
I hate it when i am totally eclipsed by one of my best friends in absolutely every way.
yeah my mate pattons like that hes just good at everything and he a nice lad as well makes me mad!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:31 PM   #1191
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Ooh, BoP, I feel your contact-lensed pain...how many times have I done that? Lost track around 10, I think. That was a while ago. Actually, Rian, I have a simpler way of remembering its/it's for those poor souls that can't keep them straight: if you can't substitute "it is" for it's, take away the apostrophe.

Quote:
Ohhhhh yeah. I know exactly what you mean. Some days it's just absolutely awful. Eh, well.

We're due to get the horrendous amounts of torrential rain tomorrow...oh happy day, as I bike to school. grrrrrrr. Silly TC, needs to forfeit a half hour of sleep so she can take the bus, yet she won't because she's stubborn and likes her sleep.

I also hate when it's so cold that my fingers and nose freeze, and because my fingers are frozen, it's so hard to type! It's like the keyboard will not respond to my fingers pounding on its keys!

[note: I correctly used its/it's 5 times in this post, not counting the example for Rian. Joyous day. ]

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 10:39 PM   #1192
BeardofPants
the Shrike

If that infernal person does not stop honking their blasted horn there will be hell to pay!

TC: When will we learn?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:41 PM   #1193
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Gah! I hate it when theaters don't have enough money! A program with Seattle Shakespeare Company called Short Shakes is partnered with my school and we're going to do the Tempest, but we only have seven people so far and if we don't have at least ten people in the cast SSC won't let us do the play because they won't have enough money. And we only have till thursday to find three more people or more who like acting and are willing to cough up $165 to do it. Eeeeeviiil finincial problems...
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-16-2002, 07:41 AM   #1194
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
note: I correctly used its/it's 5 times in this post, not counting the example for Rian. Joyous day.
It's really not that tough. I remember it as the 'it is' thing too. Easier.

That sounds awful Willow! I hope the the financial problems get sorted out.

I hate being bored. I hate that i have to write a personal statement (aforementioned personal statement) and have 2 DAYS LEFT!!! AHHHH!!!!Stupid statement. Plus tonight i have 2 hour driving lesson...i hate wednesdays. they're so rushed for me. Grr... oh, and i seem to be bizarrely (is that spelt right? Looks funny) sick. I feel nauseous and have a headache like those you get when you've been in the dark and someone turns a light on, you get a sudden stab across your forehead as your eyes try to adjust. It's like that all the time. I don't think my pupils want to un-dilate themselves for the light..

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 10-16-2002, 11:27 AM   #1195
Rían

yeah, you guys are right, just remember "it's" is "it is". I shouldn't have typed all my grammatical ramblings, I was just kind of thinking out loud and typing as I thought *wins award for most incredibly boring post of the year*

EXK - how long does the statement have to be?

Last edited by Rían : 10-16-2002 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:35 AM   #1196
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I hate the real dolts calling me for technical assistance here at work. After said calls I have to play this: For those idiots who call...
Old 10-16-2002, 11:37 AM   #1197
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Not at all

I'm all for extreme fascism in the matter of apostrophes. Whenever I see a sign (usually handwritten in marker pen and scrunched up towards the right hand side of the pink fluorescent cardboard) saying "thousand's of bargain's inside" I get so enraged that I am unable to walk, and end up lying on the pavement foaming at the mouth.

Forget Iraq; they should declare war on this invasion of apostrophes. Someone somewhere clearly is in possession of Apostrophes of Mass Destruction (or AMDs; NB no apostrophe there!) and is handing them out willy nilly to a multitude of subversive elements.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:22 PM   #1198
Rían

My son's first grade teacher does that all the time! *cringe* (e.g., "Parent's! Its time to sign up for the classroom party! We will need lots of drink's and snack's!") (note incorrect "its", also!)I'm trying to decide if I should talk to her or not... I'm also good friends with her sister, which complicates matters.

Wow! I haven't seen someone use N.B. in quite some time! I'm impressed!! (what a nerd I am! But I enjoy language stuff!)

Old 10-16-2002, 12:38 PM   #1199
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

hehhhhh *wack* *crick's head (note correct use of apostrophe) hits (ditto) her keyboard*

stupid journal entries. I only have fourteen, and I need to have 6 more examples of flimsy reasoning by 11:30 (Pacific Time).

I should have come here earlier (j/k, tho' i did lift some examples from the absolutes v. relativism thread )
Old 10-16-2002, 12:47 PM   #1200
Rían

Pick up a newspaper and read the front page - you should find lots of flimsy reasoning...

Vent - gotta go to work now, when I would much rather be posting here, or even doing laundry!!!

Closed Thread