Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #1181
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm reading the first Harry Potter book aloud to my son, as a bedtime read. I have never read the books before...but unfortunately, I have seen the movie. It takes a lot of suspense away, and I imagine all the movie stuff as I read. I feel bad for people who have not read LoTR, yet have seen the movie. I dunno, something's missing this way!

Last edited by Lizra : 01-30-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #1182
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Don't worry Lizra, the book has a lot of exciting events that weren't in the movie, especially at the end. You're in for a treat, and the one funniest lines ever.

Right now I have just started reading the Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi. (I've only read one page though, a very new beginning.)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #1183
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

ok, well i've taken some time off of Time of Twins and decided to read A Great and Terrible Beauty before i continue with ToT i'm always doing that with books...

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #1184
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm reading A Cavern of Black Ice by JV Jones. Has anybody else read it? It's a dark fantasy trilogy. I've also got a couple of PG Wodehouse books I'm looking forward to reading.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 PM   #1185
Brian
Elven Warrior

right now iam reading harry potterand the chamber of secrets. also iam reading this book i got for christmas called for joshua. iwas wondering if any of you have herd of it?

slipknot rules and norco is still the best!!

my fourm need ppl!!

http://www.casev.com/lotr/
Old 02-01-2004, 06:02 AM   #1186
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The Lord of the Rings for the twenty-first time.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:50 AM   #1187
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Twenty-first! Is that a record or what?
I'm reading LotR again too, I feel I need it after watching RotK the movie.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:37 AM   #1188
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I'm reading LotR again too, I feel I need it after watching RotK the movie.
I don't really know (there are probably people who've read several more times than I have). I used to read it every year until 2000, then I took a three year break.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 02-01-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #1189
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
It's a lot, but I don't think it's a record. There are people who have read it every year since about the time it came out. I don't know any but I know they exist.
I just read it for the fourth time in December, but considering I didn't read it for the first time (or even get mildly interested in LotR) until January, that's a lot. I'll probably read it more than 21 times in my life.
No, make that definetly.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 02-02-2004, 06:19 AM   #1190
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I read the short story by DH Lawrence: "The Rocking Horse Winner."

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Old 02-02-2004, 09:31 PM   #1191
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

follow-up:
A Great and Terrible Beauty was SOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!
omg, it's one of those books where you wish it were all real... *sigh*.....

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:51 AM   #1192
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I finally went to the library!!!
I'm now reading the Last Unicorn, which many people have recomended and I never read yet. It's really good so far.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
Old 02-05-2004, 05:23 PM   #1193
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Planning to start on the Odessey when I've finished the Illiad (some time 'til, in other words ).
Bah. I dislike the Odyssey. Had to do Greek Literature module at Uni and it sucked. Was really boring in my opinion.

I am reading Order of the Pheonix again, just at leisure as have read it before, however, I have recently read some books by Erica Spindler. Anyone know her?

Dead Run, Shocking Pink, and Red. They are all thriller and suspense. The best being Dead Run, but they aren't suitable for all due to their subject. Still, I enjoyed them and would recommend them to anyone who was a fan of the genre. This genre is a new venture for me, so anyone know any good thrillers or suspence books?

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 02-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #1194
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

One of the best SF/fantasy/horror novels to come out in a very long time. Read it now.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
Old 02-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #1195
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Reading A Walk in the Wood by Anna Gilbert.
It started out interesting, but now seems kinda....blah. Hopefully it get better and has a good end.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Old 02-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #1196
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

I'm reading something I saw in the library and couldn't resist. It's called After the King, and is a collection of short stories written "in honor of JRR Tolkien". The stories are all good so far. They don't imitate Tolkien, but are good stories on thier own, yet they are in a style that a LotR-fan might like.

Old 02-07-2004, 12:58 AM   #1197
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I just read another short story: "Paul's Case," by Willa Cather. When contrasted with D.H. Lawrence's "Rocking Horse Winner," they are really interesting. Has anyone else read either or both of these stories?

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)

Last edited by Shadowfax : 02-07-2004 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #1198
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I'm reading "The Gormenghast Trilogy" by Mervyn Peake, "Grass for his Pillow" by Lian Hearn, "The Odessey" by Homer, "Blood and Gold" (again!) by Anne Rice. And I've just picked up "The Sil" again, by our very own beloved Tolkien.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 02-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #1199
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I am now reading Robin Hood. It is honestly the strangest book I have ever read. It's very jolly.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #1200
Pimpernel
Enting

I'm reading The Tao of Pooh and Kim by Rudyard Kipling. The Tao of Pooh is really interesting. I plan on reading The Te of Piglet. I've always loved Rudyard Kipling, so I recommend any and all of his books. Kim is about a young boy (named Kim) in British-controlled India. As in all of his books, Rudyard Kipling gives the reader an underlying sense of hatred of the British rule in India. The book is both fascinating and amusing.
just kidding, I only wish I was Eru...power is good..except I would get corrupted so know...and why am I writing all of this randomness that's popping into my head that you don't give a rat's tail about.....??
Closed Thread