FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #101
Blackheart
Elf Lord

No NO!

GIANT killer robot.

Not "killer robot".

Hell anyone can build one of those.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:29 PM   #102
Janny
The Blobbit

I think you just deattracted the Christians.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:01 AM   #103
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, let's just see you take on my killer robot. It's got a depantsing feature, and drops handy dandy (did I just use that phrase?!) banana peels.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:02 PM   #104
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Lady, mine has a built in 4 speed reversable vibrator.

And it's painted bright pink.

(the robot, the vibrator is a lime green)

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 05-17-2004, 03:59 AM   #105
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Genetic Equality

What do people think about this?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:24 AM   #106
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Very Gattaca-ish.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #107
Janny
The Blobbit

Ah, Gaffer, youread the Guardian? I would never have guessed!
Very Gattica-ish? Are you pro or anti 'Jerome, Jerome the metronome'? I mean, erm, the concept of Gattica-esq engineering?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #108
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
Ah, Gaffer, youread the Guardian? I would never have guessed!
Very Gattica-ish? Are you pro or anti 'Jerome, Jerome the metronome'? I mean, erm, the concept of Gattica-esq engineering?
Couldn't you tell already by my spilling? Get thee behind me, Daily Mail Islander...

Not seen Gattaca; this is the second time it's come up. Clearly I needs to educate meself.

Insurance companies will jump at any chance to nail you (even if it's unproven), so they're gonna use genetic testing sooner or later. On the basis that the whole point of insurance is to spread risk, it seems highly counter-productive (except for the companies, of course) to discriminate on the basis of genetic makeup.

But the article references a similar move in the US. It strikes me as being absolutely essential. Any views?
Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #109
Blackheart
Elf Lord

What? They want Mutant rights?

Bring out the sentinals!

Old 05-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #110
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Couldn't you tell already by my spilling? Get thee behind me, Daily Mail Islander...
Haven't I said already! I use that for it's soft absorbant qualities!

Yeah, no mutant rights here, all men* are created evil.

*Disclaimer (for BC ): This is not sexism... it's just for eloquence of quote...

Old 05-17-2004, 07:17 PM   #111
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You can keep your filthy sentinels to yourself kraken, or we'll be forced to pull ourt our silly costumes, and kick their asses again.

Regarding genetic safeguarding, I would wish that it were not necessary, but humans are pond scum, and insurers are the bits of slime on top. It is critical, now more than ever, that we ensure our rights as humans, and not as bits of code. I would like to think that we are more than our genetics dictates. (How... optimistic )

Gaffer, you should see Gattaca, it is a very realistic portrayal of a not-so-distant-distopic existence. Specifically, that genetics dictates your very existence - social standing, employment, friends.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #112
Blackheart
Elf Lord

HAH!

Wait till Micro$oft gets the patent on your endocrine system little girl.

You think Insurance agents are bad?

Look at the people who patent code for their dinner.

Can you imagine the utter higgeldy piggeldy if someone discovered that you had a mutation in one of your enzymes that made you live longer?

The lawyers and pharmecutical companies would cut you open in the street to extract it, then patent it, then sue you because you infringed on their patent...

Old 05-17-2004, 08:38 PM   #113
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm not worried about microsuck. When I rule the world, we'll all be mac users anyway, so peh. *goes off to put undies on over the pants*
Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 AM   #114
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

In the vein of this thread: interesting link in your sig, BoP. (The one about armadillo's, not the dune one. )
Old 05-18-2004, 04:24 AM   #115
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Can I be your sidekick? I have a large collection of large pants and deep loathing of MSanything.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:25 AM   #116
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You may indeed be my sidekick, my fellow bleeding heart liberal. You can be my second-in-command, and our national creature shall be the armadillo.

Earniel: thanks. Who knew there was that much to know about armadillos!
Old 05-18-2004, 05:46 AM   #117
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

OK, so what's our motto? "Feeling slightly upset about things"? "Writing strongly worded letter of protest to our MPs"? Or "beating Bush with a sock full of doorknobs then pimping him out to the maximum security wing of Barlinnie in a gimp suit before flogging the video on eBay to the highest bidder"?
Old 05-18-2004, 05:50 AM   #118
Janny
The Blobbit

Incidentally, Freudianly, I meant to write all humans created equal... gee I'm such a sillyhead...

So you use linux then Gaffer?

Old 05-18-2004, 05:55 AM   #119
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes, that's right, a Mac.

Right now, MacOS 9.2, but I also use X and am forced into Windoze XP most of the time. Used to be a Unix admin, so have some rather basic but seemingly unrealistic expectations of what an OS should be able to do (how I long for the simplicity of "chmod").
Old 05-18-2004, 05:58 AM   #120
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer

OK, so what's our motto? "Feeling slightly upset about things"? "Writing strongly worded letter of protest to our MPs"? Or "beating Bush with a sock full of doorknobs then pimping him out to the maximum security wing of Barlinnie in a gimp suit before flogging the video on eBay to the highest bidder"?
I vote for the latter, but I would change the wording to something like, "beating Bush with a sock fully of doornobs then pimping him out to the maximum security wing of Abu Ghraib in a gimp suit before flogging the video on eBay to the highest bidder". Although, I guess we should remember to write that strongly worded letter to the prison guards about the appropriate treatment of prisoners - vaseline, people, vaseline!

Hmmm, speaking of Freudian slips.... "about the appropriate threatment of prisoners"

Last edited by BeardofPants : 05-18-2004 at 06:00 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote