Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2003, 10:17 AM   #101
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Just finished it so here's my two cents worth:

Overall it was pretty good. It's not my favorite, but I'd say it comes in second.

Dumbledore vs. Voldemort was awesome. Finally get to see Dumbledore's wit, strength, and power.

Fred and George <----- (need I explain?)

What was the point of Sirius's death? I think it was sloppily done and totally unnecessary.

The DA was great. It was good to see more students take action, though I expected to see the Army in action.

Neville, wow, didn't think he had it in him. Good for him. I think there will be more to see from him

The Prophesy was dissappointing. Nothing new there except the tying in of Neville. What's to come........?

Cho What did Harry see in her? I personally thought they were not a good match.

Umbridge I wanted to scream. One word for her: EVIL!

If I had one complaint, I'd would be that the book was too slow, too dragged out.

Hmmm...can't think of anything else for now. But there is definitely things that need to be explained in the next book.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:06 PM   #102
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I just checked my book, and it's no wonder I didn't notice that word: because it's not in my version. It has '"We're not going to use magic?" Ron exclaimed loudly.' So they must've changed the word for the American version. I wonder why?
I have the American Scholastic version and it's in there.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:56 PM   #103
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Is thew Aussie version identical to the GB print?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:14 PM   #104
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

cassiopeia - I misunderstood you when I posted my above post.

Maybe it's not the American version that has been changed - but the Australian version - or the version you are reading. It would be very strange if they ADDED the word "ejaculated" to the American version - since we don't even use the word in the context that it is used in the book.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:26 PM   #105
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Well, I have the bloomsbury (published in Great Britain) edition, and it says "exclaimed" as well. Weird.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:44 PM   #106
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Where is it in the book? I want to check in mine. (The transaltion, by the way, to hebrew, is from the American book...)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:26 PM   #107
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Quote:
Originally posted by Salquënòrëwen
I also couldn't belive James was such a jerk, I was so mad at him.....and I kinda felt sorry for Snape....until he called Lily a mudblood, then I was like "Now beat his head against the ground, James!" hehe....
HEAR HEAR!!!
*mutters* Slimy, git, greaseball...
Slimy, oily-haired kid, he was.-Sirius Black*sob*
Old 07-01-2003, 11:03 PM   #108
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

Now that I have read the book twice, I want to say some more stuff...

I loved Harry's temper. I can completely understand how he feels sometimes. I think it made him seem more real.

I thought Sirius's death was really sad. But I don't think he will be coming back. I thought it was pretty clear that he was dead. Maybe he'll come back in a dream or vision or something, I dunno.

I liked Neville, Ginny, Dumbledore, and some more characters better in this book, they seemed more real, and they were much more interesting.

The flaws in the wizarding government make the whole wizarding world seem more real too. So do characters like Percy and Umbridge.

I have a question... if Harry's got to kill Voldemort, how will he do it? The Avada Kedavra curse thing didn't kill him when it backfired on him earlier. And I thought there wasn't enough human left in him to die. So Harry's gonna have a hard time killing him, isnt he?

My last question is... How did Harry get the Maurader's Map back? When we last saw it, the fake Moody had it... I think. So how'd Harry get it?

Anyway overall I think this is my new favorite book, replacing the 3rd one.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:30 PM   #109
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
ohhh yeah i pictured Ainsley Harriot playing Kingsley but Samuel L Jackson would be awesome too (is that the Shaft your refering to?) in any case if they got Jackson in to do it it would add so many classy lines to the movie "english mother****er, do you speak it?" or when he busts in at the end in the Department of Mysteries "this parties over" then cursing everything to death
I think Samuel L. Jackson would rock as Kingsley. Michael Clarke Duncan (the guy from The Green Mile) would be an awesome Kingsley too. He's definitely intimidating enough.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:36 PM   #110
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I've reflected some...all my earlier points are still true. But I would like to add that overall the whole thing was very much a damn fool story--for everyone. And that was annoying.
By 'damn fool story' I mean a story whose plot, at least for the damn fool, hinges on the fact that the damn fool was stupid in some way, forgot something, didn't say a certain thing, etc.
So for HP5, NO ONE is talking to ANYONE else, and that's most of the reason everything goes wrong.
So all I have to say now is: TALK TO EACH OTHER, PEOPLE!

(Er. Yes. That is all. )

tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:51 AM   #111
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I just checked my book, and it's no wonder I didn't notice that word: because it's not in my version. It has '"We're not going to use magic?" Ron exclaimed loudly.' So they must've changed the word for the American version. I wonder why?
Huh? I have the Bloomsbury edition, and I am fairly sure I came across that word- and I thought it was slightly strange. Aren't all the Aussie editions the same?
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:20 PM   #112
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Lin, *I* have the Bloomsbury text as well, and it says "exclaimed", not "ejaculated." Was yours printed in Great Britain like mine?

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Where is it in the book? I want to check in mine. (The transaltion, by the way, to hebrew, is from the American book...)
It's in the chapter where they first have their defence of dark arts class, just after hermione puts her hand up, I think.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 03:30 PM   #113
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Well, mine was definitely printed in the UK, and it has "exclaimed" (it's towards the end of Chapter 12). Funny thing to change
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:20 PM   #114
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

mine is exclaimed. (the British book).

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 07-02-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #115
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

So, we have a bit of a mystery. Since the British version is going to be the original text, and "exclaimed" is the more commonly used word in the US, why did the translator change the word? Is this a prank, I wonder?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 09:36 PM   #116
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

that is weird - my version definitely says ejaculated. i thought it must have said that originally because NO ONE uses that here. probably a prank, lol.

I was wondering why no one mentioned it here sooner! I guess because most of you don't have it.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:21 AM   #117
EyeSeeYou
Hobbit

i have the first american edition.... it says "We're not oging to use magic? Ron ejaculated loudly."

thats kinda funny.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #118
Elf Girl
Lurker

*crisp McGonagall voice* I really don't see what all the fuss is.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #119
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
In the US - the word is only really used in a sexual context. If that is the only way it is used here - that will be the way people will think of it. Words only conjure up images of the way we use them - so it makes sense that Americans would think of the sexual meaning and not the way it is used in England.
I live in America. I guess from reading British novels I have learned to not see the sexual content in everything. It's a skill.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:06 PM   #120
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
*crisp McGonagall voice* I really don't see what all the fuss is.
Neither do I. It's been what, three pages?

And anyway, I just came across the word used as "a voice ejaculated from across the room" (paraphrased, I don't remember the quote) while reading Jane Eyre.

Don't get yer knickers in a twist.

tano

p.s. I realize by posting that I became a complete hypocrite and am adding to the fuss...

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote