Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #101
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think that a 'true' pagan (in my book) would certainly at least chiefly worship the pantheon of his anscestors. Of course, I don't know, but I guess that they would pray to/worship especially a deity who would have to do with a situation that they are in, i.e. if they were going hunting, they would pray to a god of the hunt (assuming such a god did exist in a pantheon); if they were going to war, pray to a war-god, etc.

As for the other pagans, I think that Coney has said that a Pagan worships those gods that he deems worthy of his worship. I think so, but of course I'm not sure.

'Twould seem that Coney has a good deal of questions to answer!

Quote:
Gwaimer - thanks for starting this thread, I have actually taken the time to read the whole thing from start to it's current point & I must say I find (almost) everyone's posts informative & interesting.
Wonderful! The HAL did something right for a change!

Hmm...almost...who would that be?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:25 PM   #102
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
'Twould seem that Coney has a good deal of questions to answer!
It does...is there not one other pagan on these boards?

I'll be back to this thread later, still winding down after work at the mo'.......keep the questions coming tho' folks

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #103
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I have one for you, Coney - was there a fire at work today?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:38 PM   #104
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Might as well start here....

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem Coney, I have a question, but I'm a bit hesitant to ask it. I don't know if it would be considered offensive or too private, so if it is, then just let me know. Do you have any preferences to any specific gods/goddesses?
I don't consider it an offensive question but I'm not going to go into my personal beliefs. Paganism is a huge subject and I'll try to keep my answers as general as possible, not centered around my own path(s).

Quote:
P.S. As long as we are talking about pagans, I would say that I am inclined to agree with IR, that I would think that the 'true' pagans would be people with an unbroken line from the old days of the religion.
Firstly I'm not very comfortable with the phrase true Pagan, it seems a bit like saying a Methodist is a true Christian or an Orthodox Jew is a true follower of Judaism.

If your interested you should first look up the word Pagan

Pagan isn't a religion, it's a generic word used to describe people who worship Gods other than Christianity/Jewdaism etc. All in all it's a relatively modern word.....ancient people didn't answer 'Pagan' when people asked them their religion

As for 'true Pagans' belonging to an unbroken line....well, there may be a family of inbred muntants in some distant valleys that can trace their ancestry and religious following for the last couple of millenia.....personally I don't think it makes any difference when you choose to follow your religion, or if it the same religion that your parents and ancestors followed.

Beatallica
Old 03-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #105
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by R*an
I have one for you, Coney - was there a fire at work today?
Nope
I like these easy questions

Beatallica
Old 03-10-2003, 06:49 PM   #106
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
I am Cathloic but I dont go to church no more seeing as were always busy on SundaY!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:51 PM   #107
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Next....

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Coney - I have a few questions re the Paganism, hope you wouldn't mind enlightening me?

1 How do you know which of the dieties deserve to be worshipped? (I was a bit confused by that statement)
2 Do these dieties have names such as the case with Hinduism, Bhuddism etc?
3 Do the Pagans worship the actual objects such as rocks or are these merely symbols of the diety that they believe in? (a representation of the living spirit or whatever being worshipped). If not how does a rock posess power to do anything for you? Or is the rock a symbol of something else like the strength of the earth or something?

I find it very interesting to hear of these things as I have hardly any experience of it and I enjoy learning new things.
1. It really all boils down to that magic word....Faith It's exactly the same as reading a bible and going to church, then feeling the need to worship God. Something about the a God/Goddess/Pantheon just clicks. (Sorry but that is as close to an answer as I can give, if I could explain, in a technical manner why anyone follows any religion I'd be the guru for the world ).

2. Yep. They all have names (You've just named two yourself, and I'm not gonna sit here and name the lot....mainly because don't know them all).

3.I've never heard of anyone worshipping an actual rock or a tree....many religions do worship the spirits which they believe inhabit them tho' (I think I went into this earlier in the thread somewhere).

Symbolism of the five elements is very important in a lot of Pagan religions though.

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 03-10-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:56 PM   #108
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Doesn't anyone have any questions for Buddhists?

Re: Jesus as the Messiah, I actually asked a rabbi that, several years ago when I was considering converting to Orthodox Judaism (went with Buddhism instead). It was a difficult question to ask, but he was quite nice about it and referred me to The Real Messiah by Aryeh Kaplan. It's an uncompromising (meaning it may offend some folks), orthodox book that will answer any and all questions you might have on the subject. It's pretty good. I liked it; just checked, and it's still available at Amazon, or you probably could get it through a library.

There are actually three strains of Judaism: Orthodox, Conservative and Reform. The Orthodox Jews adhere to all 613 commandments given in the Torah (uh, I think only the rabbis and scholars and maybe some intense lay people read the Talmud -- it's very big and very deep). According to this Orthodox rabbi, the Reform people don't, but go with their own feelings and beliefs more (if I understood him correctly; am a little vague on that). As for the Conservatives, he said, "they pick and they choose."
Quote:
Originally posted by Markedel
Well I have question for Christians. I'm curious where is the authorized translation of the bible from? I mean I've read lots of different translations and interpretations of this and that. Do differnet denominations have different sets? Is there one or two dominant translations? Or is it more of a read it as you like kind of thing? (I mean denominationally, I assume every group has their own spin as it were).
There is a big difference between the Catholic and the Protestant Bible: the Catholic has more books. I did a quick Web search to double-check that, and found a site that looks interesting, though I don't know anything about the site.
Quote:
Originally posted by Rian
I heard something last week that I'd like to know more about from anyone that knows Judaism - someone said that the animal sacrifices for sin can't be done because there's no temple, so now study of the Torah is considered to be the substitute for the animal sacrifices. Can anyone comment on that?
It's a pretty puny comment, but I do remember the rabbi saying that that some of the 613 commandments can't be performed because at present there's no Temple, but it was five or six years ago, I went in a different direction, and now don't remember which ones they were or what the alternative was. I think everybody is supposed to study the Torah always, so am not sure that was the alternative.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:01 PM   #109
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Wouldn't all people who call themselves Pagan actually be Neo-Pagan?
I'm glad this question came up

A Neo-Pagan is someone who follows only one Path (doctrine) They worship only one God/Goddess/Pantheon (being a devout follower of say......Hinduism, is a good example)....They worship their chosen diety(s) and no other......Many (but not all) Neo-Pagans also only acknowledge the existance of there chosen belief.

A Pagan (proper) acknowleges the existance and power of all dieties......they decide/discover who they worship but try to respect all others, even occasionally joining followers of a different path in their worship (could be seen as 'hedging your bets' ).

Beatallica
Old 03-10-2003, 07:11 PM   #110
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
So how do pagans pick which gods to pray to? I have heard that many pagan religions hold up a high god of sorts-does that hold. Or is it more of a pantheist type thing, like Shintoism?
I don't think anyone can 'pick' anything to pray to.......if you did you would only be paying them lip-service....it's all about belief. You hear about a religion/doctrine/belief system and it just clicks.

The Gods/Pantheons that come under the title 'Pagan' are a multitude.

Beatallica
Old 03-10-2003, 07:13 PM   #111
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
But...wouldn't the technical meaning of Neo-Pagan mean "new Pagan", thus meaning any modern Pagan, because none of the actual Pagan beliefs of old have been completely preserved?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:17 PM   #112
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I think that a 'true' pagan (in my book) would certainly at least chiefly worship the pantheon of his anscestors. Of course, I don't know, but I guess that they would pray to/worship especially a deity who would have to do with a situation that they are in, i.e. if they were going hunting, they would pray to a god of the hunt (assuming such a god did exist in a pantheon); if they were going to war, pray to a war-god, etc.

As for the other pagans, I think that Coney has said that a Pagan worships those gods that he deems worthy of his worship. I think so, but of course I'm not sure.
Exactly. I worship those that I feel (really feel) most reflect how I've lived/am live/wish to live my life. I've tried to follow other religions but they just felt hollow or 'false' (if that makes sense).

Beatallica
Old 03-10-2003, 07:22 PM   #113
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
But...wouldn't the technical meaning of Neo-Pagan mean "new Pagan", thus meaning any modern Pagan, because none of the actual Pagan beliefs of old have been completely preserved?
Actually yes...Neo Pagan is, relatively speaking, a very new word (As is Pagan)......"New Pagan" has simply been adopted to categorise (horribly word that) those who follow a specific path from those who follow a more generic belief system..

Ok, that looks about the lot for now...

Beatallica
Old 03-10-2003, 11:42 PM   #114
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
A Neo-Pagan is someone who follows only one Path (doctrine) They worship only one God/Goddess/Pantheon (being a devout follower of say......Hinduism, is a good example)....They worship their chosen diety(s) and no other......Many (but not all) Neo-Pagans also only acknowledge the existance of there chosen belief.

A Pagan (proper) acknowleges the existance and power of all dieties......they decide/discover who they worship but try to respect all others, even occasionally joining followers of a different path in their worship (could be seen as 'hedging your bets' ).
Im really losing the distinction here. "Neo" just means new. And since all the original pagans are extinct, except for isolated indiginious peoples, I would assume everybody who calls themselves pagan now would actually be technically a neo-pagan (unless they could somehow trace their religious practice directly back to say mesolithic england or something). But whats the point of calling everyone a neo-pagan? Its a silly distinction. Pagan is pagan. its not like calling someone a christian or jew. its more general. I agree with what you said earlier in the thread that some people are "new agers" but I would also call them pagan (technically neo-pagan) since their belief system fits in perfectly with the pagan path options.

EDIT: Star Polish I should have read the rest of the thread. You basically had the same point in your question. Very sharp.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 03-10-2003 at 11:44 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:31 AM   #115
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
I'm glad this question came up

But originally (and I mean VERY originally), didn't all Pagans worship only one pantheon/deity?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-11-2003, 12:53 AM   #116
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
But originally (and I mean VERY originally), didn't all Pagans worship only one pantheon/deity?
you mean like the first cave man?

Old 03-11-2003, 12:55 AM   #117
Gwaimir Windgem

Not QUITE that originally. I mean like several thousand years ago, before the time of the Romans, like maybe around the days of Egypt as two kingdoms, or maybe earlier.

EDIT:
When I say 'didn't they all worship one pantheon/deity', I should have said 'each' instead of 'all'. In other words, each pagan would worship one deity or pantheon, not that they would all worship one deity or pantheon.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 03-11-2003 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:11 AM   #118
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Not QUITE that originally. I mean like several thousand years ago, before the time of the Romans, like maybe around the days of Egypt as two kingdoms, or maybe earlier.

EDIT:
When I say 'didn't they all worship one pantheon/deity', I should have said 'each' instead of 'all'. In other words, each pagan would worship one deity or pantheon, not that they would all worship one deity or pantheon.
Well i think something like that we will never know because it goes well back before any sort of recorded history (before writing in fact). I mean as long as we have been homo sapiens we have had some kind of religion. And of course paganism that old has vanished into the mists of time tens of thousands of years ago. we have brief glimpses of it in cave paintings and strange fertility figurines but thats about it.

The first religions we have any clue about would probably be the sumerian religion of the first great civilization of sumeria. This was followed by the babylonian religion, the Assyrian religion and then the Egyption religion which kicked in around 15th century BC in the form that we know so well.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #119
Gwaimir Windgem

No, those ones you talked about (or maybe somewhat before them, but not too much) were the kind I was talking about. Post-cave-man era.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM   #120
Baby-K
Corruptor

Re: Next....

Quote:
1. It really all boils down to that magic word....Faith It's exactly the same as reading a bible and going to church, then feeling the need to worship God. Something about the a God/Goddess/Pantheon just clicks. (Sorry but that is as close to an answer as I can give, if I could explain, in a technical manner why anyone follows any religion I'd be the guru for the world ).

2. Yep. They all have names (You've just named two yourself, and I'm not gonna sit here and name the lot....mainly because don't know them all).

3.I've never heard of anyone worshipping an actual rock or a tree....many religions do worship the spirits which they believe inhabit them tho' (I think I went into this earlier in the thread somewhere).

Symbolism of the five elements is very important in a lot of Pagan religions though.
Thanks Coney BTW I started that book last night - it is good, has some original prayers & blessing + the translations etc & some of them are really beautiful. It's also quite insightful and has already answered some of the other questions I had for you, but if I get stuck I'll just summon the power of the rabbit