Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2003, 02:56 PM   #101
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
This really doesn't have anything to do with the Edain, but hopefully it will clarify Chuck Norris' height, which is indeed 5 foot 10.
That's what I said!

Last edited by Wayfarer : 02-01-2003 at 03:11 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:58 PM   #102
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Yeah, what she said!
What?
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:00 PM   #103
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Always thought Inderjit was a guy...
Old 02-01-2003, 03:10 PM   #104
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I posted in response to BOP, and you posted while I was writing, Inderjit.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #105
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

And you're right Falagar.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 03:15 PM   #106
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Grrr. Wayfarer, stop pipping me at the post!
Old 02-01-2003, 03:58 PM   #107
Sween
im quite stupid

what about vin deisel in a wig?
Old 02-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #108
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Pipping, Beardy? I like the sound of that! ]: )

Edit: Not pippin, although he's cool as well!

Last edited by Wayfarer : 02-01-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 05:20 PM   #109
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Pippin, Beardy? I like the sound of that! ]: )
LOL, I can only see it now
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #110
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

I would definately have to say Húrin. Not only does it say it in the Silmarillion , but just look at the stuff he did. He was the rearguard, along with Huor and other men of Dor Lomin, of Turgon and his host. The paragraph that speaks of the retreat of Turgon from the battle is particularly moving.

"So it was that Turgon fought his way southward, until coming behind the guard of Húrin and Huor he passed down Sirion and escaped...But the brother drew the remnant of the Men of the House of Hador, and foot by foot they withdrew, until they came behind the Fen of Serech, and had the Stream of Rivil before them. There they stood and gave way no more."

As is this piece from The Lays of Beleriand :

"There the children of Men, chieftan and warrior,/ fled and fought not, but the folk of the Elves/they betrayed with treason, save that true man only,/ Thalion Erithámrod and his thanes like gods."

(Thalion Erithámrod being Hurin)

Hurin was willing to sacrifice himself for turgon to escape; for there would be some left against Morgoth. After Huor and the other Men of the House of Hador were slain about him, Hurin fought on until he was captured. Questioned by Morgoth himself, he laughed in his face. I doubt many of the Edain had the courage and sheer will to do that to him.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:33 AM   #111
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
What exactly do you mean by 'lover'? Of animals? Luthien? Or something else...
You know, the sort of open-hearted greatness that garners no ratings in today's competitive world; the wonderful characteristic of human nature that has been around so long and will still be around when the word "survivor" has reverted back to its original meaning.

"And it seemed to Thingol that this Man (Beren) was unlike all other mortal Men, and among the great in Arda....
-- From "Of Beren and Lúthien' in The Silmarillion

Quote:
If, Húrin Thalion is considered the greatest of the Edain, then why does Tolkien say that Hador was the mightiest of the chieftains of the Edain?
Because he loved the Elves the most, perhaps, and died in, I think, Fingolfin's rearguard.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha

Last edited by The Lady of Ithilien : 02-04-2003 at 10:38 AM.
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:44 PM   #112
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

well it depends what you consider "great."
wisdom? valour?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:13 PM   #113
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
"And it seemed to Thingol that this Man (Beren) was unlike all other mortal Men, and among the great in Arda....
Consider the source. Thingol is almost the worst Elven King in Beleriand. His thinking is very simple and dumb. As long as my kingdom is safe, no matter if Morgoth rules everything else, then I'm ok.
Although Finwë was my friend of old, I'm not going to give his sons the courtesy of hearing them out, I will make the exception the house of Finarfin because we are related.
In the first battle of ME, after Thingol was triunfant in his realm, C*rdan was besieged by the Orks of Morgoth and it was Celegorn that aided C*rdan, while Thingol was safe in Menegroth.
The perception of an elf such as Thingol cannot be taken into consideration because how many Men did he actually met? He's a pathetic excuse for an Elven King, whose narrow mindedness and jealousy led him to his fate.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #114
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
Consider the source. Thingol is almost the worst Elven King in Beleriand. His thinking is very simple and dumb. As long as my kingdom is safe, no matter if Morgoth rules everything else, then I'm ok.
Although Finwë was my friend of old, I'm not going to give his sons the courtesy of hearing them out, I will make the exception the house of Finarfin because we are related.
In the first battle of ME, after Thingol was triunfant in his realm, C*rdan was besieged by the Orks of Morgoth and it was Celegorn that aided C*rdan, while Thingol was safe in Menegroth.
The perception of an elf such as Thingol cannot be taken into consideration because how many Men did he actually met? He's a pathetic excuse for an Elven King, whose narrow mindedness and jealousy led him to his fate.
Well said Maedhros.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #115
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

You've got to remember that beren completely changed thingol's outlook on men. He had changed so much that in later years he was willing to take humans as his own foster children.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:01 PM   #116
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
You've got to remember that beren completely changed thingol's outlook on men. He had changed so much that in later years he was willing to take humans as his own foster children.
Yes, but look at all the trouble he caused before that.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #117
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

beren greatest of the edain?
i always had the idea that luthien did all the work
Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #118
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
beren greatest of the edain?
i always had the idea that luthien did all the work
You know what they say: "Behind every great man stands a woman.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #119
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

I like Chuck’s brother, Tom Norris. (Chuck’s OK, too.) Speaking of heros, it was sweet of Arnie to campaign for and win afterschool programs in California.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
well it depends what you consider "great."
wisdom? valour?
We’ve wandered far from wisdom and valour, Tar-Elendil. Rather, the choice seems to have boiled down to a character who, if one overlooks most of the salient features, can easily be molded into a sort of computer game avatar, some thing one can live through at a distance, versus a character whose strength includes a disturbingly personal quality that one might be expected to develop in oneself, a quality that humanizes the whole thing – “applicability,” JRRT might have called it – and so takes all the ‘fun’ out of it.

Hence the hilarious escapism, which is nothing new. People have always demonstrated their resistance to being reminded of their humanity and yet over and over again their delight in it once they’ve forced themselves or been forced to experience it up close and personal, without all their toys of hand and mind to shield them from the reality.

And so the works of John Ronald Reul Tolkien will always be considered a little “dangerous,” and people will be encouraged not to take it too seriously, as long as dehumanization is in ascendance in the world. One small facet of this complex masterpiece is, I think, that he may have seen the roots of the mechanical world we find ourselves so intertwined with today; saw it for what it was, both good and evil; and constructed a powerful “lance” which he hurled straight at its evil – a mighty effort, that, and a good one, as it goes on releasing people from bondage even today. So I’ve changed my mind. Mighty among not just the Edain but in Arda itself was JRRT’s own avatar, Beren son of Barahir.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #120
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
JRRT’s own avatar, Beren son of Barahir.
how ya think?