Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My favorite elf? Afro Elf!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:12 PM   #103
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
It was actually Fingon that attempted to bridge the rift between the Noldor by recuing Maedhros. And I would have to say that Maglor was the most compassionate of Feanor's sons, but Meadhros was a close second.
And it was actually Maedhros who gave away his right at the Kingship of the Ñoldor.
I would say that Heru Maitimo Russandol was the more compassionate of his brothers, remember the Kinslaying? Where was Maglor's compassion then?
My favorite Elf is Maedhros.
My least favorite Elf is Finrod Felagund.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:14 PM   #104
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Now you've done it!
Old 01-31-2003, 02:59 PM   #105
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros

And it was actually Maedhros who gave away his right at the Kingship of the Ñoldor.
And that was after Fingon brideged the gap that divided the Noldor.

From the Silmarillion. Houghton Mifflin edition. 1977.
Quote:
Now Fingon the Valiant, son of Fingolfin, resolved to heal the fued that divided the Noldor, before their enemy should be ready for war; for the earth trembled in the Northlands with the thunder of the forges of Morgoth underground. Long before, in the bliss of Valinor, before Melkor was unchained, or lies came between them, Fingon had been close in friendship with Maedhros, and though he knew not yet that Maedhros had not forgotten him at the burning of the ships, the thought of their ancient friendship stung his heart. Therfore he dared a deed which is justly renowned among the feats of the princes of the Noldor: alone and without the counsel of any, he set forth in search of Maedhros; and aided by the very darkness that Morgoth had made, he came unseen into the fastness of his foes.

By this deed, Fingon won great renown, and all the Noldor praised him; and the hatred between the houses of Fingolfin and Feanor was assuaged. For Maedhros begged forgiveness for the desertion in Araman; and he waved his claim to kingship over all the Noldor, saying to Fingolfin: "If there lay no grievance between us, lord, still the kingship would rightly come to you, the eldest here of the house of Finwe, and not the least wise"
Quote:
I would say that Heru Maitimo Russandol was the more compassionate of his brothers, remember the Kinslaying? Where was Maglor's compassion then?
IIRC, all of the following of Feanor took part in the kinslaying. It was the children of Finarfin that did not.
Quote:
My favorite Elf is Maedhros.
There's no accounting for taste

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:26 PM   #106
BeardofPants
the Shrike

WHAT?! I insult him, and I get bopped!
Old 01-31-2003, 03:59 PM   #107
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
WHAT?! I insult him, and I get bopped!
I was waiting for his reply before I bopped him. I planned on sneaking up behind him as he replied and give him a good one, but now you've spoiled everything.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #108
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

My favourite non-fellowship elf is Haldir.
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 06:15 PM   #109
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
IIRC, all of the following of Feanor took part in the kinslaying. It was the children of Finarfin that did not.
Oops. And what about the burning of the ships in Losgar? Was Maglor more compassionate than Maedhros.
Quote:
There's no accounting for taste
I have always found FF to be a simple character. He's the do gooder, and will always behave in such a manner. I think that he lacks passion.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:11 PM   #110
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I have always found FF to be a simple character. He's the do gooder, and will always behave in such a manner. I think that he lacks passion.

Does this guy like to live dangerously or what?
Old 01-31-2003, 07:50 PM   #111
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Oops. And what about the burning of the ships in Losgar? Was Maglor more compassionate than Maedhros.
During the Exile and the events that lead up to the burning of the ships, Feanor, his followers, and his seven sons are all now under the Doom of Mandos and are all equally guilty. None were compassionate. When I said earlier that Maglor seemed the most compassionate of the seven, my opinion was based on events that took place after they were in Middle-earth, such as the fostering of Elrond and Elros.

Quote:
Yes, he is the do gooder, and he will always behave as such. What? You mean that he can only be passionate if he is a jerk like Feanor and his son's?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-31-2003, 08:00 PM   #112
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Yes, he is the do gooder, and he will always behave as such. What? You mean that he can only be passionate if he is a jerk like Feanor and his son's?:P
Yes!

Fëanor is (IMO) better described: you can (in a way) relate to him, at least better than to Finrod.

Last edited by Falagar : 01-31-2003 at 08:02 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:10 PM   #113
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Yes!

Fëanor is (IMO) better described: you can (in a way) relate to him, at least better than to Finrod.
Maybe people just relate to him better because they see those crummy qualities in themselves, where as it may be hard to find a person in the world like Finrod. I'll stick with Finrod any day.

You guys make me mad. j/k

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-31-2003, 08:12 PM   #114
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Maybe people just relate to him better because they see those crummy qualities in themselves, where as it may be hard to find a person in the world like Finrod. I'll stick with Finrod any day.

You guys make me mad. j/k
Well Feanor was the most skilled of the Noldor....at least admire him for that
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #115
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
Well Feanor was the most skilled of the Noldor....at least admire him for that
Credit where credit is due madam. I certianly agree with that and would never take away anything from Feanor that he deserves. It is a two way street. Finrod has some impressive credentials of his own, if anyone would bother to mention it. Sounds like he was just to good of a guy for most though. That's ok, I love him if nobody else does. Meanies

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-31-2003, 08:48 PM   #116
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
Yes, he is the do gooder, and he will always behave as such. What? You mean that he can only be passionate if he is a jerk like Fëanor and his son's?
He seemed like a typical Vanyar Elf. He's a do gooder like a normal elf.
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 01-31-2003, 08:53 PM   #117
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
He seemed like a typical Vanyar Elf. He's a do gooder like a normal elf.
Nothing wrong with that. Actually, he was more Telerin than anything else.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-31-2003, 08:59 PM   #118
Maedhros
The Tall

But what makes Finrod unique? That he instructed men?
As a noun American is:

1. The United States.

Old 01-31-2003, 09:22 PM   #119
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
But what makes Finrod unique? That he instructed men?
He was the fairest of all the princes of the Noldor. He was the wisest of the Exiles. He was one of the leaders of the host of Fingolfin crossing the ice. He ruled the largest realm in all of Beleriand. He built the Tower of Minas Tirith that held the pass of Sirion open to Elves and Men for many years. He was the first of the Exiles to meet and instruct Men. He strove with Sauron in songs of power. And, he gave his life to save that of a mortal Man. What else do you want from him?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-01-2003, 01:40 AM   #120
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
He was the fairest of all the princes of the Noldor. He was the wisest of the Exiles. He was one of the leaders of the host of Fingolfin crossing the ice. He ruled the largest realm in all of Beleriand. He built the Tower of Minas Tirith that held the pass of Sirion open to Elves and Men for many years. He was the first of the Exiles to meet and instruct Men. He strove with Sauron in songs of power. And, he gave his life to save that of a mortal Man. What else do you want from him?
The Silmarils! lol
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote