Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2002, 09:34 PM   #101
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Are you being a literalist again? That's twice today I've made a joke, and you've taken it literally.

(And I wasn't referring to american music in anyway, just manufactured music - and sorry, the beatles wrote their own songs, and started the new styles. Also: I was being purely tongue in cheek about needing a social revolution to kickstart a musical one. Geez. )
I know but you didn't put any smilies. How was I supposed to know that that you were only joking?

OH and sorry - Just a habit I've gotten into of defending America from you. I think you've started leaving America out of your posts - but in the back of your mind - that's what your referring to.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 AM   #102
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Nergh, are you a mind reader now? I don't know about over there, but over here, we actually get MORE manufactured music from England & Ireland, than America! (Darn Boyzone!! )
Old 08-11-2002, 12:20 AM   #103
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Nergh, are you a mind reader now? I don't know about over there, but over here, we actually get MORE manufactured music from England & Ireland, than America! (Darn Boyzone!! )
Does this mean you don't want this plutonium anymore?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 12:39 AM   #104
jerseydevil

Quote:
That's supposed to be a government secret so don't tell anyone.

We don't get a lot of manufactured music from other countries. Most likely because we produce so much of our own. It's actually very hard for foreign musicians and bands to get into the US.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 01:06 AM   #105
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well it only took the Beatles 3 years, and a very public Ed Sullivan show...
Old 08-11-2002, 01:14 AM   #106
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

There's a pattern throughout history, that when a society turns over a new millenium it often enters a more liberating period for a couple of decades. I'm not saying this has anything to do with numerology or astrology, in fact, mankind manufactures how we count the years, it is not determined from nature. That is why our millenium is so drastically different from, say China's. (think of it as the difference between Shire reconing and the rest of middle earth.) Yet this trend still exists, perhaps it comes more from a psychological cause, new beginings and all that. When the 1800's became the 1900's the US went from the very prudish, straight-laced, confining attitude of the Victorian era, to the wild and free "Roaring" 20's. Socialogically speaking this was a great upheaval, women went from wearing corsets, and being covered from neck to toe, to the racy 20's styles showing short skirts and rolled down stockings which actually allowed a glimpse of bare leg! They smoked and drank and demanded many of the same social privilages as men. And music changed drastically. The charleston era was born, and classical music began to give way to Blues, and the birth of Jazz. What an astonding period in our music history! (of course, the Victorians all though it was devil music, and would corupt the young of America!) So now, after that rambling begining of my post, I'll get to the point of this whole thing. Before our Millinium, we had a lot in common with the Victorian era. In the 80's and 90's were very repressed compared to the free and easy 60's and 70's. Women's clothing styles got much less revealing, and the "Boy bands" were born. I am hoping that this millinium turnover will have the same amazing effect on our pop culture that the last one did. And that we will see an emergence of new music, and other new art. Hopefully, the horrendous era of the "Boy band" is almost over!

This post property of Entmoot.

Last edited by Bregalad : 08-11-2002 at 01:17 AM.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 01:24 AM   #107
Cirdan

It's only been in the last ten years that Music in the US was predominantly homwgrown. The rise of grunge and hip-hop and the various degrees between have superceded all but the most popular holdovers from the prior eras. Oasis, and Bjork are notable but nothing like the period from the Beatles through Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who, to U2. Artists like Ozzy Osborne and others continue to be popular.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 01:33 AM   #108
jerseydevil

It has less to with dates and things that bring about these changes. It's more the changes of the generations and inventions and just plain rebellion. The previous generation always wants to rebel against the one that came before and be different. The thing with the 80's was that aids became a reality. The 60's and 70's could have free love, but the 80's had to deal with aids. America was experiencing stagflation and high gas prices during the 70's. The music and culture reflected this.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 01:39 AM   #109
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
It's only been in the last ten years that Music in the US was predominantly homwgrown. The rise of grunge and hip-hop and the various degrees between have superceded all but the most popular holdovers from the prior eras. Oasis, and Bjork are notable but nothing like the period from the Beatles through Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, The Who, to U2. Artists like Ozzy Osborne and others continue to be popular.
I disagree. For every foreign band there have been a lot of good domestic bands and singers from the past.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 04:14 AM   #110
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I disagree. For every foreign band there have been a lot of good domestic bands and singers from the past.
I think Cirdan's point was that in the past there were more foreign bands here than there are now. Not, that there weren't any good native bands.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-11-2002 at 04:16 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 04:30 AM   #111
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf

I think Cirdan's point was that in the past there were more foreign bands here than there are now. Not, that there weren't any good native bands.
I think there were good native bands. A lotof the 70's music was native bands - like Billy Joel and stuff.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-11-2002, 04:36 AM   #112
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I think there were good native bands. A lotof the 70's music was native bands - like Billy Joel and stuff.
Are you just making a general statement or did you think he or (I) meant there weren't any good native bands?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-11-2002, 04:38 AM   #113
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

On a side note, isn't it about 3:00 am over there now?

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-11-2002, 04:57 AM   #114
jerseydevil

Actually it's 4:30. I was doing some development stuff.

To answer your previous question - I was just making a general statement. I don't think that you were saying that there weren't any good domestic bands. I do agree that there were more foreign bands than today (at least during the 60's and 70's, some during the 80's).

I must be tired - it took me a half hour to write that. It's now 5:00am.

Okay - I reread Cirdan's post. What I was getting at was that in order to make the statement that "It's only been in the last ten years that Music in the US was predominantly homwgrown" - you'd have to completely forget about the Jazz age or the 50's. Basically all the decades prior to the 60's was "homegrown" music.

Now 6:00

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-11-2002 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:48 AM   #115
Cirdan

Yes, I was basically ignoring anything pre-sixties as I was addressing BoP's accurate point that the "British Invasion" of the sixties dominated American pop culture at the time. Were there good American bands? Absolutely, but their popularity came later in their careers. Even Jimi Hendrix wasn't famous until he spent time in London. Only a few bands like The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, the Beach Boys, and Bob Dylan et al had any impact on the music scene at that time. Even so, as far as pop culture goes, the Beatles completely dominated the scene during their existence.

As a footnote, all the "Britsh Invasion" groups music was derivative of American Blues. Everybody got rich on the blues except those people that actually created it, including the white american pop artists of the fifties. The same is true of jazz, for the most part.

Of course then you must go back to gospel, then traditional religious music, and finally to classical music and the foundations of modern formal western music.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 04:38 PM   #116
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes. Alot of the so-called Brit invasion "stole" traditionals from the black blues/jazz singers. I'm sure I could pull a few examples of the Beatles doing this, if I weren't so lazy. But you get the idea.

PS Ssssshhhh! about the plutonium.
Old 08-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #117
Cirdan

Quote:
Yes. Alot of the so-called Brit invasion "stole" traditionals from the black blues/jazz singers. I'm sure I could pull a few examples of the Beatles doing this, if I weren't so lazy. But you get the idea.

PS Ssssshhhh! about the plutonium.
oops! My bad

I don't know if "stole" is always correct; inspired could be put in some places. Led Zeppelin and Cream picked extensively through the American blues "catalog". The Beatles' "Sargent Pepper's..." was truely inspired. The case can be made both ways in many instances. I guess it was good for traditional blues in the long run as it was free publicity for bluesmen like Muddy Waters, BB King, and Howlin' Wolf.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 07:29 PM   #118
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes Sgt Peppers was entirely original... BUT... check out their first couple of albums. Most of them are traditionals. Their very foundations lie in being inspired by Little Richard, etc.

And while it was good publicity for the blues movement, in many cases the white-icised version of it completely overshadowed the black version. Manfred Mann, anyone? *sickened look*
Old 08-11-2002, 08:37 PM   #119
Cirdan

oo... entirely original. That is brave. Jefferson Airplane's "Bathing at Baxter's" was released 4 months prior. There were many psychedelic bands before Sgt. P's was released. They did it bigger and better, but first...?

Screaming Lord Sutch had long hair in 1962.

You didn't like the Pat Boone versions then, either, eh?

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 08-11-2002, 08:55 PM   #120
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No, not the concept of psychedelia - that was intro'd on Revolver/Rubber Soul as well (Tomorrow never knows, Norwegian Wood)... Plus they were "inspired" by Pet Sounds. No, I was talking about the concept album... but then again, I think I might be talking out my ass again.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-11-2002 at 08:56 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote