Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2002, 10:59 PM   #1
Ben
Retired Ent

Yes. When we first implemented user titles, it was a half-serious policy to give spammers the title of "Smelly Orc." I think it's appropriate in this instance .

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:37 PM   #2
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder
Yes. When we first implemented user titles, it was a half-serious policy to give spammers the title of "Smelly Orc." I think it's appropriate in this instance .
Heh, I didn't know that, but I found it quite amusing (and I agree).
Old 09-04-2002, 06:40 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, but why has the title been taken away?
Old 09-04-2002, 07:11 PM   #4
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

entss89 seems to have learnt his lesson, when he asked me to return his title to normal I did so.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 04:38 PM   #5
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by dream wanderer
I acended from lurkdom today... For the record I might be a newbie here but am not a newbie to Tolkien.

I am also on another popular Tolkien board...have been there for two years.

I think I can see where some of the oldbies here are talking about...we are seeing it on Tolkien boards all over the internet.

After the movies a definite shift took place. Movie people in love with Orlando/Liv/Viggo fill in the blank showed up. Good people...wrote some good posts...they were just crazy in love with Orlando/Liv/Viggo/ fill in the blank ....and the population exploded and things started to change.

I lost track of regular posters...thought they had left and only to find out there were still there...just posting in threads that I didn't get around to read. A crisis might happen on one of the fan worship threads...we in the general discussion thread knew nothing about it. In the old days we would rush over just to see what was happening and to add our two cents worth. Now we don't do that because the board has grown so.

But we knew it would happen. We thought we were ready for it but we were not. So its kind of sad...to see the end of the 'old board'...but every ending is a new begining....so enjoy your 'new' board.

dream wanderer

*clears throat: *ahem..

Another turning point
A fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist
Directs you where to go
So make the best of this test
And don't ask why
It's not a question
But a lesson I learned in time

It's something unpredictable
But in the end it's right
I hope you had the time of your life

So take the photographs
And still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf of good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth
It was worth all the while

thank you greenday
Old 09-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
Sicirus
Elf Lord

CBG how do you personalize your title anyway?????
Old 09-05-2002, 10:26 PM   #7
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I just read the all of the posts in this thread, i found it all rather depressing. I feel like a newbie idiot now, i think maybe i'll leave?

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:35 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I just read the all of the posts in this thread, i found it all rather depressing. I feel like a newbie idiot now, i think maybe i'll leave?
I know how you feel, Erawyn, because I felt the same way when the thread first surfaced.

Don't feel like a newbie idiot: we all have to start somewhere! And I don't think you should leave, as you contribute some very valuable thoughts to the discussions.

I just want to clarify that although bad spelling bugs me silly, I am aware that some people can't help it (Sween and Samwiseluvre spring to mind.) Let me just say that it is the least of the evils. My main bone of contention was spamming, trolling, and useless polls; most of which have been dealt with by the admins.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:37 PM   #9
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Hear, hear.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:48 PM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

This thread again...<sigh>

I'm almost depressed just reading about how registering a month too late makes me a newb even though I've read the books many times before I watched the movie last december.

I think I'll mangle another song or two...it's been a while...

Anyone like songs from Vertical Horizon, Third-Eye Blind?

P.S.
I think bad spelling only bugs me because I'm afraid I might get the habit as well. I also think that if one makes mistakes and is told about them, making the effort to correct them next time and improve is really cool.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:12 AM   #11
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

I just want to clarify that although bad spelling bugs me silly, I am aware that some people can't help it (Sween and Samwiseluvre spring to mind.) Let me just say that it is the least of the evils. My main bone of contention was spamming, trolling, and useless polls; most of which have been dealt with by the admins.
thanks hunny ur not so evil are you
Old 09-06-2002, 01:56 PM   #12
osszie
Elven Warrior

Anyone who can only think of only one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination. - Mark Twain

osszie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 03:53 PM   #13
osszie
Elven Warrior

I don't know if the entmoot is declining, this is the time of year for travel, vacation, outdoor stuff........ so hopefully the post-rate will increase as the weather cools (tis my first summer as a member so I can't really comment on post frequency more than that).

True some threads have been..............pointless IMO...... but it is good to see that the moderators are aware of this and are taking measures (Favourite Rug Colour caused me almost a nano-second of contemplation )

Wot has worried me slightly is bmilders mention of the limited bandwith.........are there going to be steps to deal with this problem?? .......some threads, tho' slightly silly were fun......the 3 worder....could be very funny.......especially if it was read after a break from the 'moot

As to the effect of the movie on the threads.......well I imagine that those with nothing more to say than "the movie was great.......I love (actor)!!" will soon grow bored and move on........
Old 09-06-2002, 04:48 PM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Well, I've been here only a month, but I read LotR first time 6 years ago and have loved it since. I don't consider myself a Tolkien expert by a long way, and I don't take myself too seriously. I may have asked stupid questions and/or got people annoyed, but if that is the case I'll appreciate to be told. Either by post or PM. Then I'll be able to improve (That is, if I consider your complaints rightful )

And samwiselvr2008, don't be bothered about your spelling. It's what you have to contribute that is important. Keep up your posting!
Old 09-06-2002, 06:17 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Glad you liked the 3 worder Ozzie! It was fun! would anybody be interested in trying it with the new, new rules? (I just love creative writing, especially if it's silly/funny)
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:20 PM   #16
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Thanks for understanding I will stay of course, this is a great sight, all though people are allways saying "it's okay" and then I open up something else and it says someing else about bad spelling, that is the one thing that anoys me on this sight, but I geuss that it can't help it, unless I ceep on mentionaning it untill I AM understood! I believe some of you (like BOP and Artanis) but I think that some mooters (is that what we are called?) just will never understand.

What is a spammer anyways, and what do you mean by spamming? Not very bright I know!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by samwiselvr2008 : 09-06-2002 at 06:22 PM.
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:29 PM   #17
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Spamming is posting useless messages that are irrelevant to the thread just to get your post count up or something. Spammers are people that spam. Spamming is bad. Don't spam.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:56 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
I believe some of you (like BOP and Artanis) but I think that some mooters (is that what we are called?) just will never understand.
Well, my brother is dyslexic, so yeah, I do have an understanding of how helpless some people can be in regards to dealing with language. Besides, I'm not such a hot speller myself: I have to look things up in the dictionary ALL the time!
Old 09-06-2002, 09:32 PM   #19
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Well, I did have to take speech, and so my 4th grade teacher and my speech teacher came to the conclusion that it might be becuase of the way I say things that reflects on the way that I sound them out in my head to spell them. I had to take speech because I couldn't do s's comperd to T, TH, and SH, they all got mixed together whene I talked. I graduated that in 2nd grade, but I still had a problem with my R's (I was allso told that I had problems with W, but onley one of the two speech teachers that I had told me that), I graduated from that in 5th grade, but I don't know why because I still can't say corectly allot of the words with R somewhere in it. But by that time, my speech teacher was getting all shacky in her hands and couldn't really teach us that good, and so that's probally why she let me graduate. I am allot better at speech though then I was whene I was in 5th grade and below, ever since I graduated speech I have ben slowly improving, so maybe I really did graduate, but just still have trouble with some words. I think that it is sorda wierd that I was so bad before, and in such a short peried of about 1- 1 1/2 years, I have gotten so much better then I ever did before then, I am imroving allot faster then I probally would have if I never gradguated from speech. So I think that my 4th grade teacher and my speech teacher were both correct that it was the way that I talked, and translated that into writing that mest me up. That was mostly it, there are other reasons and theries behind why I can not spell, but I wont menchoin them now.

I fill stupid asking, but what is dyslexic?

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!

Last edited by samwiselvr2008 : 09-06-2002 at 09:33 PM.
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:39 PM   #20
osszie
Elven Warrior

never worry sam......if anyone who is truly intersted in your post cannot understand the way you spell in the post then I am sure that they will pm you and ask you to clarify.

dyslexic (dyslexia) is more commonly known as "word blindness"
it is a neurological conditions that means (literally) that the brain cannot translate the written word into language.

I am sure that other 'mooters will be able to expand on this................