Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2002, 10:51 AM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

I am aware, actually, that those sites were biased. However, they were the only ones I could find at the time, that mentioned anything about the Security Council ruling. It took me about 2 hours to find the actual ruling. I did not mean them to be a joke, nor am I anti-american.... which I have stated at least twice.

As I said earlier, I am backing down from this issue. Please stop trying to incite me into anger with accusations of ignorance, or patronise me for not knowing one sided reporting when I see it.... All I wanted from those sites was the information about the ruling... Which I couldn't find anywhere else.
I didn't say you were anti-America. But the sites definitely were one sided. It's like someone that's trying to support their views that blacks or other ethnic races are inferior to whites and using KKK proganda sites to prove it. All anyone has to do is look at the main page of any of those sites to see how they're one sided. The biggest joke was the ShiaNews.com one. That one indicated that we have all these demonstrations condemning Israel. Sorry - but that's a blatant lie - yes we currently have demonstrations - BUT SUPPORT IS STRONG FOR BOTH SIDES.

Also, no where in the Nicaraguan ruling was it stated that the US was being charged with International Terrorism. As I said before - it makes sense you wouldn't be able to find anything on the UN ruling on a standard news site. It occurred in 1986 - about 5 years before the Web (the net has been around a lot longer - since the 60's). Of course the sites you've posted would have that "information" - they lean very very anti-American. Those sites perpetuate misinformation - plain and simple.

By the way - I'm not attacking you - I'm attacking those sites. With the information I've provided and you've provided, everyone reading this thread can now make their own judgements concerning the US. They can determine if the US was actually charged and convicted of International Terrorism as you claim by the UN.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 12:22 PM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
oh - and the gov still keeps secrets about stuff such as aliens, ufos, magical creatures, etc
THEY HAVE THE TWO LOST SILMARILS LOCKED IN A SAFE!
Old 04-29-2002, 12:27 PM   #3
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Now I started this thread so I want to state something.
I don't hate Americans.
I disagree with many things theyb do but I don't hate them.
Canada is an independent country.
Yes in WWI we were automatically in w/ Britain but in WWII we independently entered the war several days later.
By the way, could all the Canadians on Entmoot please step forward bot onto this post and PM me as well. We need to stick together. We may not hate Americans but some (NOT ALL BUT SOME ) may not like us.

Anyways I'm sorry if I offended an Americans.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:53 PM   #4
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
Now I started this thread so I want to state something.
I don't hate Americans.
I disagree with many things theyb do but I don't hate them.
Canada is an independent country.
Yes in WWI we were automatically in w/ Britain but in WWII we independently entered the war several days later.
By the way, could all the Canadians on Entmoot please step forward bot onto this post and PM me as well. We need to stick together. We may not hate Americans but some (NOT ALL BUT SOME ) may not like us.

Anyways I'm sorry if I offended an Americans.
I realise Canada is an independant country - but you are also part of the United Kingdom.

There are just certain "countries" attitudes toward the US that bug me. For instance - some people I know overseas say that the US should go get council from European nations. That France and England have gone through a lot and have a lot more experience in dealing with things than the US. Well my argument with that is that nations do not have memories. Nations themselves can not learn from past mistakes - only rulers by reading and studying can learn from the past. Tony Blair may be smart - but England itself has no memory of it's past. Just because France may be older than the US - doesn't mean it can't elect an incompetent leader. All you have to do is look at the recent elections in France and look at Le Pen to see proof of that. Hope he doesn't win though - that would be a disaster.

The other - is people's constant complaint that American's don't know where other countries are. For one I do know where most countries are. But based on my expierence in dealing with people from other countries - they're no smarter, especially when it comes to their knowledge of the US. In Canada I told someone I was from NJ - they're response was "that's part of New York - right?". Yet American's get lambasted constantly over there because we don't know all your providences. I know Canada had a show on two years ago - not sure if it's still on - where a person pretending to be a tv reporter asks American's on the street questions. Some were like - "should the US invade Vancouver" and things such as that. My experience traveling around - you get the same assinine answers that were given by all nationalities - not just Americans.

The other thing is Europes contempt that Americans only know English. The thing is - the continental United States extends almost the same distance from France to the Ural Mountains. Most European countries are the size of states in the US. If NY spoke a different language than NJ (which sometimes it seems they do) - we'd learn their language to. I have a friend that lives in Italy - she was going to Hungary for the weekend. I looked - that was the same as me going from New Jersey to visit friends in Indiana. Even though Canada is a "dual" language country - I have met very few people that could speak anything other than English.

I don't know who you are referring to with this comment "some may not like us". Just to let you know I actually like Canada. I wouldn't live there - but I always visit my friends up there. Internally - I can care less what you guys do. Granted - I wouldn't want you guys turning communist or something that might affect the Canadian/US trade or the security of the border. But what kind of health care and stuff is completely your business.

Concerning disagreeing with our government - that is fine, a lot of American's (including myself) don't agree with everything our government does. But certain internal stuff is our business and other countries should worry about their own internal problems.

I know that a lot of people around the world have contempt towards Americans and America - but most of it is from ignorance. Some of it is from envy (which seems to be Europes problem) and some of it they have a valid point. But those that live in glass houses - shouldn't throw stones.

I'm not upset with anyone here - I'm just tired of all the bashing that the US gets and that I've personally expierenced from people outside the US. Some of these people have never even stepped foot on US soil - but claim to know everything that goes on here.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-29-2002 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:20 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

Well, I love Canada and Canadians. They add flavor to the world.

Hey, a few years ago Michael Moore had this humorous news-magazine type show on TV and he did one on illegal immigration and the U.S. handling of that. He said you always hear about altercations concerning Mexicans crossing illegally, but you never hear about "illegal Canadians" crossing the border and "stealing" US jobs like you hear about Mexicans. His point was that there is an element of bias there (although it was tongue in cheek -- we know that living conditions in Canada are not such that they'd need to escape to a life of more opportunity, but it just seems that when a Canadian wants to move down here, there's no prob, but Mexicans seem to have a much harder time moving here). ANYWAY, the funny part of all this is that the show did a "test" at the Canada/ US border. They showed some of their people just walking past the guard without being stopped. Then they had someone carry a sign across that read "I am an unemployed Canadian looking for a job in the US" and didn't get stopped. It was hilarious!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 03:44 PM   #6
jerseydevil

Walking across the border is a little different than driving across.

It's fun going across the border with my friend's mother in the car though. Indians aren't supposed to be stopped at the border - so if they ask anything after she says she's from Six Nation Indian Reserve - she gives them a hard time. At the other extreme I've been given the third degree by a Canadian border guard because I was still living in Indiana at the time (Indiana doesn't have front license plates). The cameras only record the front plate. He even wanted me to open the trunk up and was a complete jerk.

One reason America has a tighter security with Mexico - is because of the drug trade. Also - a lot of people come over for the free education and to have babies. California is having a really big problem with illegal aliens coming across the border to go to the hospital and then leave back over to Mexico. The only thing that will fix the immigration "problem" with Mexico is to get Mexico's standard of living higher.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-29-2002, 05:04 PM   #7
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Yay for me, I'm back in the good ole US of A.

However, I do live only five minutes from the Canadian border, Tater, and if you think that drug running is a problem only on the Mexican border, you are grossly mistaken. It's a huge, huge problem on the 49th as well.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 05:59 PM   #8
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Yay for me, I'm back in the good ole US of A.

However, I do live only five minutes from the Canadian border, Tater, and if you think that drug running is a problem only on the Mexican border, you are grossly mistaken. It's a huge, huge problem on the 49th as well.
I'm not tater.

I do however know that drug running is bad on the Canadian border - but more drugs do come up through Mexico from South America. But let's not forget that several of the hijackers came through Canada. My friend had told me that the Canadian border is a lot tighter now. I haven't personally been through it after 9/11.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #9
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Azalea! I think I saw that program where they "tested" the Canadians running th US border. That was SO FUNNY, but it was a few years ago, wasn't it? I'm surprised anyone else saw and remembered it. They showed them walking a "hockey team" (i.e. stereotypical Canadian) and some guy with the sandwich board saying he was unemployed. And then they cut to a clip showing Mexicans getting shot at running the Mexican border. I thought it was funny anyways.

Anyways, JD, I think the show you are talking about was "Talking to Americans". Come on. I'm not usually a big Rick Mercer fan, in fact sometimes find him annoying, but there were some parts of that show that were funny. Really, that Bush and "Jean Poutine" thing was a real gem. And if you get annoyed with a show like that, just remember that that guy started out with shows making fun of Canada. It's usually all in good fun, and Americans are funny too. I actually prefer Air Farce though, for myself.

Bop
Quote:
So: Canadians?
I was waiting for the anti-American stuff to die down. It's no fun when you lose that good-natured spirit. It was getting ugly. Please everyone, stay cool. Especially us Canadians. Let's show 'em how polite we can really be. Haha! Just be nice.

Last edited by mirrille : 04-29-2002 at 06:06 PM.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:17 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille

Anyways, JD, I think the show you are talking about was "Talking to Americans". Come on. I'm not usually a big Rick Mercer fan, in fact sometimes find him annoying, but there were some parts of that show that were funny. Really, that Bush and "Jean Poutine" thing was a real gem. And if you get annoyed with a show like that, just remember that that guy started out with shows making fun of Canada. It's usually all in good fun, and Americans are funny too. I actually prefer Air Farce though, for myself.
I don't get up to Canada that much - so I've only seen the show once. Also - my friend had told me about it. I'm not really upset by the show. We make fun of Canadians all the time.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #11
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I'm upset at Bop. I didn't think you meant those sites to be jokes..but i said that to give you a chance to save yourself. Now that you even admit that you did not mean any of those sites to be jokes, thats really sick. You found those anti-american sites to support your point of views..thats very sad.

Did you even realize what all the crap was that you posted?!?! Did you even read any of it!??!!! Why shouldn't we be offended and mad? of course we should. You post crap, anti-american crap and anti-semitic crap on this board. then you say you did not mean it as a joke!!!!!!!!

you say you are not anti-american...heh.

Why don't i go fish up some anti-new zealand sites - oh wait that would be hard to find because no one really gives them much thought. (except for being the host to the Lotr movie)

you used those sites to prove your points. using that, you are an anti-semitic anti-american weirdo. prove me otherwise. why did you post that???????

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:55 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Appologies for any offence I have caused on this thread: it was not my intention. I will refrain from mentioning my dissenting opinion further of this thread.

Signing out.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:22 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Appologies for any offence I have caused on this thread: it was not my intention. I will refrain from mentioning my dissenting opinion further of this thread.

Signing out.
I'm not offended by your opinions and I'll be the first to defend anyone's right to express them.

What upset me and I know it upset HOBBIT was the use of very biased sources to support your view. I mean - you said that the US was the only country to ever be charged and convicted of International Terrorism. When you posted the UN ruling there was no mention of terrorism of any kind in there.

I was extremely shocked that you'd post from the ShiaNews.com site to defend and support your views. It was completely unbalanced.

When I post sites to support my views I try to make sure the sites are well balanced. If they're not then they invalidate themselves. A person can not argue that a particular race or religion is inferior by quoting from KKK propaganda and that's the equivalent of what those sites were. A lot of what is written on the web is just pure propaganda or people's own opinion disguised as fact.

Here is one part of one article....

Quote:
In the largest pro-Palestinian demonstration ever in the United States, tens of thousands of protesters gathered in Washington on Saturday to condemn the US administration's pro-Israeli bent in the Mideast conflict.

Police estimated that around 50,000 people took part in the peaceful protest although organizers, a coalition pro-Palestinian pressure groups, put the figure at 100,000.

"The Israelis are animals. They are scary. All these lives lost for nothing," said Jenin Ali, a Palestinian-American. She held a sign saying "A suicide bomber is a poor man's F-16."

Across the street a counter-rally by some 100 people calling themselves the Free Patriots waved American flags and held posters with tongue-in-cheek messages like "Gardening is murder!! Weeds have rights too" and "This sign killed a tree." - Washington's Mideast policy condemned by thousands (ShiaNews.com)
That's just laughable. But I had to point out that what is upsetting are the sources used. Although I do like the signs they invented for the Pro-Israeli protestors. It would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that people actually believe that this is the stuff happening over here.

This is the same report from CNN.com -
Quote:
On Saturday, tens of thousands of protesters marched in the city against causes ranging from globalization to the Bush administration's Mideast policy.

Especially eager to be heard Saturday were Arab and Muslim marchers who chanted for an end to U.S. military aid to Israel.

Police said the turnout Saturday was larger than expected. Rallying at the Capitol after walking along Pennsylvania Avenue, the eclectic crowd mixed young communists, Black Panthers and "Raging Grannies."

Authorities do not provide official crowd figures for demonstrations in Washington, but Police Chief Charles Ramsey gave a rough estimate of 35,000 to 50,000 on Saturday. - Washington protesters assail World Bank, IMF (CNN.com)
It's interesting that ShiaNews.com seemed to leave out the fact that the 50,000 protestors - were made up of MANY groups. They also seem to have made some environmental group into the Pro-Israeli counter-demonstrators. But of course - who reading the ShiaNews would know this - unless they looked further for the facts.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-29-2002 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:04 PM   #14
HOBBIT

well of course. if you read that site, all of the articles have been submitted by people worldwide. They are not checked for fact. The website claims no responsibility for what is posted, which is of course idiotic because they pick and put up the stuff they want. One article that was mad mouthing americans (well they all do) said that The united states had been abusing African slaves for over 400 years. Um, the US has not even been a country for 400 years.

Its all misinformation..............

OMG i just read another - comparing Nazis to Jews....thats scary.....
oh well.

good to know that you are sorry bop, but you jsut posted those without thinking. Anyone can post a site that supports their views. of course you can find anything on the net. 90% of those stories are completely made up. The other 10% is completely one-sided unbiased. To prove your point, by posting a link to an obvioulsly onesided anti-everything (mostly anti-semitic and american)but muslim it wont help you. no one is going to acknowledge it as fact.

It is also obvious that you did not read any of it. Or did you? because if you did you would realize why we are so upset.

But it may be best to drop it since nothing can be done about it now. Bop is sorry...i just hope she realizes what we are acutally upset about

thanks for taking away your links bop

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 05-02-2002, 08:21 AM   #15
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I'ts really funny how these threads develop and evolve. I mean, this ne was supposed to be how great Canadians are but turned into health care and how bad America is.

Oh well, my welcome thread turned into a dicussion on whether Jesus loved us and on cannibalism.
Old 05-02-2002, 08:26 AM   #16
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
I'ts really funny how these threads develop and evolve. I mean, this ne was supposed to be how great Canadians are but turned into health care and how bad America is.

Oh well, my welcome thread turned into a dicussion on whether Jesus loved us and on cannibalism.
It's just the twisted minds twisting words...so is Canada a nice place then? To stay vaguely on topic...i think...

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 01:37 AM   #17
mirrille
Elven Warrior

You'd have to come visit and see for yourself.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:32 AM   #18
Nienna
Sapling

I'm Canadian!!!!! Born in Toronto but brought up in Scotland. So my lovely Canadian accent transformed into a Scottish one. Shame.
Nienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:38 AM   #19
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
You'd have to come visit and see for yourself.
I'd love to, but alas, i have not the money, or relatives to stay with...,eaning i have to pay or accoodation

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 07:47 AM   #20
HOBBIT

I went to Canada - it was boring

Montreal or however you spell it.

It was a trip where we went to Vermont first to stay at some cool resort caleld Smugglers notch for a week and then we went to Canada for a couple of days.

I really enjoyed Vermont and we went back the next year, but I dont really remember much about Canada.

About Montreal - a lot of people speak french. They smoke. Everywhere. everyone smokes, im being literal not giving a generalization. I mean of course you could find examples of people that dont smoke, but basically everyone does. Food wasnt too exciting. I forget what we did! I think maybe we went to some boring Napolean museum, which i guess was interesting, but sure was boring. We went to La Ronde, that amusement park left from the 67 (?) world expo fair thingy. WHAT A DUMP! The park was dirty and run down. You had walk down this dangerous rocky hill to get to the park too. Had GREAT fireworks though, but that was not canadian. They were having an international fireworks competition and Italy was going that night.

Well i got some coins from canada... i dont remember what else i liked about it.

Ill get back to you on that

Ok now i remember a little more. It was good and bad. We had some good meals. Good french bread with every meal. It was during a heat wave - and no air conditioning anywhere. And about that smoking thing - its true. Even the kids were smoking. Some fort thing was interesting sort of.

Ok i realize i cant call a whole country boring by one boring province Well i did have fun. I just dont remember what i did entirely. Ok ill shut up now.