Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2002, 02:19 AM   #101
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

I know a little french.

I want to learn Latin, Old English...I like old languages like Greek and Gaelic.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:49 AM   #102
katya
Elven Maiden

I think from my experience we (English speakers) do seem bad at it. But that experience is limited. I think I don't really have a problem with it, and that is an area that I find fun and easy enough. I just lack motivation. I had a German exchange student once and he says I am the only American he knows that can do German vowels. I just this morning looked up some Russian so I can call people absurd things like "cheesecake" and "carrot". It's fun. I have these books written in Russian and I am working on translating them on Altavista. It's really interesting. That post was really bad. I ramble sometimes especially in the morning.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 10:59 AM   #103
TinuvielChild
Padawan

On Altavista? On Babelfish? *shudder* Okay, it's good for some things, but don't ever use it for language homework. It sucks.

The languages I want to learn:

Italian
French
Russian
Gaelic
Greek
Quenya
Welsh
Finnish
Old English
Old Norse
Tagalog

and finish learning German. This could take awhile...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!

Last edited by TinuvielChild : 10-31-2002 at 10:12 PM.
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:31 PM   #104
katya
Elven Maiden

Yes, on Bablefish. It's not perfect, but since I don' tknow Russian, it's the best i have, and it's good enough to translate the books.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:47 PM   #105
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

When they speak really fast,believe me it's hard! I don't find French that hard. It's harder than German that's one of the easier languages to speak!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:44 PM   #106
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
What languages do you know, and have you ever made up your own?
American English is my native tongue. Had two years of Latin in high school back when it was required (yes, I'm very old - G). Don't remember much of that now, but it sure has helped in my occupation as a medical transcriptionist.

Modern languages: Took two years of French in HS and actually used it in Boulogne to ask for a map of the city -- they gave me an English-language map. Sigh. Have been studying Spanish informally since living in New Mexico for a year and a half; now I know just enough to be dangerous, and keep on learning. The Internet helps a lot, though I haven't yet had the courage to try a Spanish-language forum.

Am trying very hard to learn Vietnamese, too. That's difficult because it's not Latin-based, but it's a neat language. Got two "Let's Learn Vietnamese" CDs from VNI software aimed at eight-year-olds, and that has helped a lot because it explains all the tones and diacritical marks.

I admire anyone who can speak and write in Tolkien's Elven languages, and also anyone who can make up their own. Never tried. Wouldn't be very pleasant (G).
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 10:52 PM   #107
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Hey, it doesn't make you that old, Lady of Ithilien! Everyone at my school is required to take Latin...but then again, it is called Latin school. So I kind of know some Latin, yeah.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 11:13 PM   #108
Philia
Enting

Je parle français. Il est, je supposent, ma langue maternelle, j'a habité en France pendant trois années. Je ne peux pas vraiment me rappeler le.

How is that?
Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away. --Unknown

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis Stevenson

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. --Unknown

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off! --Unknown

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. --Jeanne Moreau, French Actress

We are never so helplessly unhappy as when we lose love. --Sigmund Freud
Philia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:31 PM   #109
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Trés bien, Philia. I actually understood most of it. Then again, I am by no means fluent in French. I'm working my way through French II right now.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:35 AM   #110
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Philia, that's so cool that you lived in France for 3 years! I'm jealouse. I actually just got back from Québec, and it was such an amazing experience. 30 people from my school went as a French trip. It was so great to be surrounded by French-speakers; I was emersed! Yay!

PS: Khamûl, it is "très", not "trés".

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)

Last edited by Shadowfax : 11-06-2002 at 03:37 AM.
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:06 PM   #111
TinuvielChild
Padawan

What's really frightening is that I could understand most of that post, and I don't even take French! It's that Latin kicking in...

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 08:48 PM   #112
Philia
Enting

LoL! Well, I lived there for 3 years, but see those were the first three years of my life so, I wasn't exactly doing school or anything else...I am embarrassed to say that I didn't even bother taking French in H/S I took German *gerck*. I just picked it up from when I was little and being around my parents and older brothers. So I am sure that most of what I say isn't grammatically correct, but oh well!
Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away. --Unknown

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis Stevenson

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. --Unknown

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off! --Unknown

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. --Jeanne Moreau, French Actress

We are never so helplessly unhappy as when we lose love. --Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Philia : 11-07-2002 at 08:13 PM.
Philia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 11:47 PM   #113
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
PS: Khamûl, it is "très", not "trés".
Hey, "très" - "trés", it's all the same to me. I just figured I'd use the "é" since it's more of a "tray" sound.

Old 11-07-2002, 10:08 AM   #114
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Non cognosco quo modo dicere linguam latinam bene.
Me neither, Tinuviel Child, but it's good to know there is still a Latin school out there.

I would say a similar thing in Vietnamese (and it's about the only thing I can say in Vietnamese), but the character codes are a little funky. In "Viet Net" it is: To^i kho^ng bie^'t no'i tie^'ng Vie^.t.

¿Hay algunas personas aqui quienes hablan la hermosa lengua de Cervantes?
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:35 PM   #115
azalea
Long lost mooter

I took French for three years in high school, and then took French for a semester in college (easy A), but it's really a use it or lose it thing. I've only met two native French speakers in my life (one from France, and one from Haiti), so I never speak it and consequently, I don't remember much anymore. But I can still figure out what things say, and if it's spoken in a movie or song I can generally figure out what they're talking about.

I love languages, but it takes a lot of time and dedication to learn. I would love to learn Arabic, it's a beautiful language. I'd also like to learn German, Latin, and Hindi (?). I've really gotten to be like Jamie Lee Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda: I love Russian -- it sounds very sexy. (aside to self: "buy husband Berlitz course in Russian for Christmas. )

Oh, and I'd love to learn Scottish and Welsh, too!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #116
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

English is my first language, and primarily my only language. I'm working on French though, and I hope that eventually I'll have a good understanding of it. I personally think that it's a much more beautiful language then English.

I also dislike the Southern American accent, and generally like all of the other accents that foreigners bring into it much more. I like the French accent a lot, but I like the British one too.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:27 PM   #117
Celebrian
Enting

English is my native language, and I don't speak to many others, just French, a tiny bit of Thai and about five words of Ukrainiun (sp).
I made up a whole alphabet once. I gave it to my friends and wrote letters to them, it was really fun. I am trying to learn how to write Tengwar, but I don't have it memorised yet. It is a really pretty language, and I like writing in it.

Tall ships and tall kings, three times three.
What brought they form the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones and one white tree.

Last edited by Celebrian : 11-07-2002 at 07:29 PM.
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:38 PM   #118
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
¿Hay algunas personas aqui quienes hablan la hermosa lengua de Cervantes?
un poquito, solamente. No practico mucho, entonces, no hablo muy bien.

How was that?

[edit: hehe, at first I mis-read "Cervantes" as "Cervesa" *snicker*]

Last edited by crickhollow : 11-07-2002 at 07:39 PM.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:40 PM   #119
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
I also dislike the Southern American accent...
Any particular reason why? Be careful with that answer.

Old 11-07-2002, 09:14 PM   #120
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Any particular reason why? Be careful with that answer.
I don't like the drawl, and the American way of speaking the English language is simply too nasal for me as well (Erects a table between himself and Khamul).
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote