Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2002, 10:06 PM   #101
TinuvielChild
Padawan

do you know something i don't, bropous? well duh obviously you do. please elaborate!!!!!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 03:33 AM   #102
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Well, I have seen the trailer, and I still haven't forgotten the song.

spoilers! spoilers ahead!

I take it, bropous, that you have a problem with one or more (probably all) of the following:
~Arwen being in the movie, with a much expanded role, and at Helm's Deep, etc.
~Eowyn having an expanded role, with that (cliched) sword-fighting thing with Aragorn
~Galadriel being in the movie
~Elves showing up at Helm's Deep to fight. Elves plural, from Lothlorien or Rivendell...
~Elrond showing up in the movie
~Any variety of other things that stray from the book

Well, the only thing I have a BIG problem with on that list is Elves at Helm's Deep and even that doesn't make me all that mad, just annoyed. . .

But I'm assuming a lot right here. Do tell me if I'm wrong!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:31 AM   #103
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

bropous sent me a pm about the trailer just as I requested. Thanks bro. From what I can surmise, it looks like he got blown away.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 09:50 AM   #104
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

Just a short comment!!
I did not expect many songs in the movie version, but some of them are just so appropriate!!
If Sam does not sing, why should the Orc go up and start whipping Frodo?? I think he should at least be humming or something!!
But as we saw in the first movie, it is not beyond PJ to change it quite a bit!!
As for Frodo being naked, what is the fuss?? Wearing a loin cloth will just look silly!! If you read the book, it is quite dark with only a red light in the room. I can envision Frodo lying curled on his side trying to protect himself with the Orc standing over him....we only see him from a distance, and then we see him from the waist up in close-up!! Sam fights off the Orc, rushes over to Frodo and hugs him while putting his cape around him....nothing to worry about. I am sure PJ will not have him walking around without a stitch on even though he does in the book. You can show a lot of skin, and get across how terrible it must have been for Frodo to be stripped, without showing certain parts!!
Old 03-30-2002, 02:45 PM   #105
Eruviel Greenleaf

That is true, Midgardsormen. Welcome to the moot

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-30-2002, 08:34 PM   #106
Midgardsormen
Hobbit

Thank you Eruviel!!
I am sure I will have a most enjoyable time here!! After all, where else can we go when family and friends sigh at the least mention of ANYTHING to do with Tolkien?? Of course I have to share the computer with hubby and son, so I do not always get as much time as I would like...but probably more time than is good for me, especially during the holidays
Old 03-30-2002, 08:56 PM   #107
TinuvielChild
Padawan

oh, you'll become addicted soon enough, just like the rest of us Mooters..and we don't mind being addicted, do we preciouss?? no, it's our friends and families that mind, yes precious. they're silly hobbitsess, not to obsess over the great works of Prof. T.

oh, and before you ask, Midgardsormen, "EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO" stands for "Extremely insightful and deeply reflective individuals of rare character and quality who share a deep and abiding knowledge of literary masterworks of extreme detail and delightful creativity, without whom the incredible works of a tremendously talented Oxford professor would fade into obscurity", and it was originated by bropous. Welcome to the Moot!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 07:08 PM   #108
Pip
Elven Warrior

I honestly don't know what they'll do. My guess is that if Sam doesn't end up singing he'll end up tripping or falling or something to back a rather noticable sound.
Pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:18 PM   #109
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think someone posted on another thread that they had seen Sam singing at the end of the clip they had seen, but I'm not so sure that New Line released different versions of the clip.

What I meant was, in the clip, the haunting poem that Theoden recites would make you forget whether Sam sings his song; it is that good. "There is the rider...and the horse.......there is the arm....and the spear.........there is the rain...on the mountains.......there is the wind....on the meadows.....". Wow. It was sooooo cool.

And no, I had not the problems with Arwen or the Elves or Elrond or Galadriel being in the film, Eruviel, I think you might have me confused with someone else.

Welcome to the Moot, Midgardsormen!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 12:41 AM   #110
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

But see, bropous, Sam's singing is in the ROTK movie (because Shelob is, *sob*, so since it's after that...)
So I can be totally hyper about TT and STILL be worrying about Sam in ROTK. *sigh* I know...I'm weird that way.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:13 AM   #111
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
And no, I had not the problems with Arwen or the Elves or Elrond or Galadriel being in the film, Eruviel, I think you might have me confused with someone else.
My apologies for misinterpreting your words, bropous. I was probably rather tired when I wrote that, and I have seen from your other posts that you really were quite impressed by the trailer, just as I was. And that poem. . .wow. Again, I am sorry I did not interpret your post the way you meant it. I hadn't seen your thread about reactions to the trailer when I wrote that, and since we were talking about going after PJ. . .well, anyway, I was wrong. Obviously.

Argh! Must see that trailer again!!!!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-02-2002, 02:20 AM   #112
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I managed to download the file whose link Goatee posted. Though it was too dark for me to see the details and flickers due to framerate issues, I saw and heard Theoden and his poem. It was great!

I sure liked that shot of Eowyn just before she spars with Aragorn. Mmmmm...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 04-02-2002, 03:57 AM   #113
Eruviel Greenleaf

Yes, that is a nice shot of her, Arathorn. Good you managed to see part of the trailer at all. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-03-2002, 12:34 PM   #114
arenya
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

does anyone have the words to the poem that theoden recites in the trailer? or knows a link where i can find them?

all i want to see in the tower scene is an emotional performance from master samwise!

"I sit beside the fire and think/of people long ago,/ and people who will see a world/ that I shall never know./ But all the while I sit and think/of times there were before,/ I listen for returning feet/ and voices at the door." -Bilbo
arenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 08:58 PM   #115
Elf Girl
Lurker

To get back to the original topic, we will will Sam's song to be in it, so it will.

Last edited by Elf Girl : 01-19-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:24 PM   #116
Eruviel Greenleaf

Thus we have spoken, so let it be done.

There, the song will be in

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-05-2002, 12:15 AM   #117
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Riiiight...
Thus the Moot has spoken, and the Moot's will is done.
You really need to see it in the theatre, Arathorn...it's way worth it.
-tano

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 12:25 AM   #118
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

But I was able to capture and make into my wallpaper that really, really, cute look on her face. Mmmmm..

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 04-05-2002, 02:06 AM   #119
Eruviel Greenleaf

From which shot of her, Arathorn? . . .just wondering. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-06-2002, 10:16 PM   #120
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I don't believe they're leaving Shelob till ROTK. Since when did filmmakers lose the chance for a cliffhanger?!?