Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2002, 11:38 AM   #101
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"I wonder if Professor T even named the Southern Cross, since he referred to the south as a place where "the stars are strange." NOT the people, just the stars...."

Oh, yeah? Just the stars are strange? Guess that explains Yahoo Serious......
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 03:41 PM   #102
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Oh, Bropous...

Re: Oh, yeah? Just the stars are strange? Guess that explains Yahoo Serious......

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:22 PM   #103
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I wonder if Professor T even named the Southern Cross, since he referred to the south as a place where "the stars are strange." NOT the people, just the stars.
hoom! i assure you, my good ragamuffin, i am a strange little australian, although my location has little to do with it. oh yes, and i don't know ANYONE who says "g'day". perhaps it's used in rural australia (in the outback, mate) but i live in the CITY with SKYSCRAPERS and AIR POLLUTION... how depressing hey we have nice beaches and it's the middle of summer WOOHOO!
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #104
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Nobody says "G'day" any more? You mean Paul Hogan lied to us?? That STINKER!! LOL
Well, "G'day" would sound a lot better than the way some of OUR locals say it--"Hey, how ah YOUSE doooin'?"

Old 01-17-2002, 03:46 PM   #105
Gildor
Hobbit

Help find a quote

I seem to remember reading a quote that I can't find. If you recognize it, please tell me who said it and/or upon what occasion. It is possible, of course that I only dreamed it...reading Lotr late at night... slipping into slumber. Here it is or at least an attempt at it:

"It only takes one to make a war...."

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:00 PM   #106
Nariel Starfire
Elven Warrior

My faves:

"You would be dead before your stroke fell."

AND

When GImli sees Merry and Pip and yells at them, then says "where'd you get the weed?"

And

"Get up, you fool of a took!" when Gandalf sees Pip

"But what about the R.O.U.Ses?"

Yours Truly, The Tisroc
-You forgot to say "May he live forever"
-That's because I don't want him to live forever!
- The Horse and his Boy--C.S. Lewis
Nariel Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:18 PM   #107
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. "
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 05:37 PM   #108
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Tell me you didn't cheer when you first read this.

"'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.'"

Go girl!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:14 PM   #109
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

[edited: That comment would have gotten me into trouble anyway.]
Old 01-20-2002, 11:39 AM   #110
Gildor
Hobbit

From "The Last Debate"

"Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule."

It applies today too, doesn't it?
Old 01-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #111
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

That it does, Gildor. That it does.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:46 AM   #112
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Does anyone know if Professor T ever commented on "Bored of the Rings?" I've never seen any evidence that he acknowledged it's existence.

Old 01-21-2002, 09:10 PM   #113
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I don't know if JRR ever commented on Bored of the Rings, ragamuffin, but I imagine he would not have liked it very much. I don't think the sexual allusions would have met all that a receptive audience!

But hey, for all I know, he had a signed copy on his mantlepiece and invited the writers over to the pub for a few pints!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:53 PM   #114
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I'd be VERY surprised at the autographed copy thing were true, bropous. Funny concept, tho, along with the ale and darts down at the local. Can you hear him say, "Barkeep, would you be so kind as to set up a round of Watney's for my American friends here?"
From what I've read of him so far, he doesn't seem to have been a real cut-up. But maybe he and C. S. Lewis were really two wild and crazy guys who managed to hide that fact.

Old 01-22-2002, 12:21 AM   #115
Churl
Elven Warrior

Quote:
But maybe he and C. S. Lewis were really two wild and crazy guys
OK, now, Ragamuffin, you just gave me an image that completely warped my brain:

J.R.R. and C.S., wearing awful checkered pants and '70s shirts, swaggering around post-war Oxford á lĂ* Steve Martin and Dan Aykroyd's Czech Brothers on Saturday Night Live.

J.R.R.:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"Hello, sexy British foxes!"

C.S.:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"Are you not attracted to our gorgeous male physiques?"

J.R.R.:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"After all…"

C.S.:&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp"… we are …"

(Together): "…two wild and crazy dons!!!"

Yikes! &nbspI know I'm going to get roasted for blasphemy on this one… &nbspPlease be gentle! &nbspIt's all in fun! &nbspNo disrespect meant!
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:31 AM   #116
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

AUUUUGGGHHH!! You've given me a migraine, Churl.

Old 01-22-2002, 12:33 AM   #117
Churl
Elven Warrior

YOU started it, Ragamuffin, with the "wild and crazy guys" thing…
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:49 AM   #118
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

I know I did, but you can't blame the Ford Motor Company when a guy buys a Mustang and then breaks the speed limit.

Old 01-22-2002, 11:46 AM   #119
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, now, JRR and CSL were known to toss back a few at the pub, and apparently their discussions drew a bit of interest at times from other "punters". JRR loved his beer, and complained about his beer barrel at home being empty, as well as the shortage of beer overall in wartime Britain, in his Letters. He also appears to have sat for a game or two of "football" in his day.
Old 01-22-2002, 03:27 PM   #120
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

Pailin, your choice of quotes really hurts my feelings. If it wasn't for that nasty halfling with his narratively convenient sword I would have pummeled that moody blonde into mud.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote