Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-12-2001, 04:11 AM   #101
easterlinge

Big Battles

Everyone loves big battle scenes. :lol:

What about the other scenes, like when Lan rescues Nynaeve from drowning and ends up getting married? Or Moiraine learning of her own death? Or when Perrin learns about the massacre of his family and ends up marrying Faile?

Old 07-12-2001, 12:57 PM   #102
Lief Erikson

Re: Big Battles

Yes, the Lan/Nynaeve scene was quite good. Especially as more things happened in the scene then a betrothal.

I've not read The Great Hunt in a while, but I've gotten it out of the library and am beginning to look through it again. While I was at it, I also got The Eye of the World, which I haven't read yet.

I've got to check out the endings of some of these books again, especially the early ones. I have most of the later ones.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:47 AM   #103
Manwe Sulimo

Man... I didn't read all of this, it is way too much for me... but anyways, I've read the WoT, all nine books, two times, and I think it is a great series. But as for it being better than Tolkien... I think it is as silly now as it was the first time I heard someone suggest it... It has no chance whatsoever of beating Tolkien...(In my opinion, that is...)

Lief Erikson: ehh... I do believe the Viking dude was named Leif Erikson, and... you haven't read the forst book yet? ah well, I suppose it doesn't really matter...
Old 07-24-2001, 02:20 PM   #104
IronParrot

I didn't read all of the above posts for fear of being spoiled.

But I finished The Eye of the World and I'm going to try to plow through all the other existing books before the next one is released...

I like it. Although at this point I don't think it even compares to LOTR, it is probably the only recently-created modern fantasy that I actually found at least somewhat readable. Despite my love for LOTR, Oz, Duncton, Dark Is Rising, etc. I'm actually not much of a fantasy fan at all.

Anyway, I'm eager to continue on and find out what happens next... so I'll do just that...
Old 07-25-2001, 04:46 AM   #105
Lief Erikson

Early books

Manwe, I can make my own history! And I have recently finished reading The Eye of the World now, so that's settled. It was really fun to have another one of them to read, again. Its been months since I read Winter's Heart, so it was great fun shifting back into Wheel of Time mode. It simply wasn't available when I began reading the series, but I didn't think it would matter so much to miss only the first one at the time. I was slightly mistaken, as I had a lot of trouble understanding several things which happened in The Great Hunt the first time I read it, and it was quite a while before I understood what The Eye of the World that people were referring to was. But after the first book, everything fell into place pretty easily.

IronParrot, it is a good idea to not read the other posts yet. They do have quite a few important spoilers in them, although now that we know we've got people here who haven't read all of the books, we'll probably stop discussing things that happen later on quite so much.

The Wheel of Time, to me is different from The Lord of the Rings. It isn't so good to me either, but it is of a different class. There are many other fantasy books available which have a similar type of writing style, in a general sense. And it certainly is the best of that class. It is one of the books I enjoy reading the most, and some of the best or most climactic scenes I love to read again and again.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:25 AM   #106
Manwe Sulimo

Re: Early books

Lief: Yeah, I know... that was what I was thinking of, they refer to things in the first book that is quite important...
But if it worked out, nothing is better than that...

IronParrot: There are a few other series that are okay too, but I think that this is perhaps the best of them... one other series I can consider comparing, but...

WoT is off course good, it is the only series I have ever bothered rereading(except for Tolkien). but I just don't think it is as good as LoTR...

I will not make examples of things I like, since they would perhaps function as spoilers, but there are some... the (I think it's the last chapter in Winters Heart) chapter called At the Choeden Kal... I just loved it... (Don't think that can spoil anything?)
Old 07-25-2001, 01:22 PM   #107
Lief Erikson

I don't think it should. And I agree, that is an awesome chapter. Certainly one of my favorites. It kept me latched through the whole thing . . . my supper got cold and my Mom mad at me for it.

There are a few parts sort of like that in The Wheel of Time where it just flows. The action is fast paced and exciting, and it keeps you highly interested.

There are parts like that in the books I have written or am writing as well; parts that I like to reread above all other parts.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:51 AM   #108
Manwe Sulimo

Yeah... but there are lots of times when nothing happens, too... :/

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that sat linked to the book straight through that one... hehe... I think I reread instantly afterwards, to...

You write books like that?
Old 07-26-2001, 11:39 PM   #109
Lief Erikson

There are parts in my books that really flow too, and those are the best parts. The parts which I'm the most interested in, and other people are too. I've not gotten any of my books published yet, but several different family members have read them.

I think one of the main parts in The Wheel of Time which actually made me bored is the part where Nynaeve and Elayne are in the menagerie. That part I was bored stiff during.

Except when the Birgitte scene happened, of course. But after that it became boring again. There are also other scenes . . . actually more like places than scenes, which bore me.

You know what, the Sea Folk annoy me. They aren't any real help to Rand or any of the good guys, but they constantly plot and scheme and try to force people to give them what they want . . . They just get under my skin almost as easily as Moiraine gets under Nynaeve's.
Old 07-27-2001, 09:20 AM   #110
Manwe Sulimo

Yeah, I know what you mean... the menagerie bit was boring... Every time I got to Nynaeve and Elayne on that journey, I thought like Oh no, not them again... Especially the second time I read it... I could barely help myself from jumping to the bits with Mat, Perrin and Rand...

Let me know if you ever get any published... I'd like to see them.. but they will probably never get here anyway... :/

The Sea folk... in total, they are rather well... don't know what to call it... boring, annoying, hindrances to the plot, but there are some of them I like a bit... like that swordmaster on the boat they journey on(Nynaeve and Elayne, going to Tanchico).. he seemed okay... As for the windfinders, a few are all right, but most are so... taken in with themselves, think themselves better than everyone else...
Old 07-27-2001, 09:43 PM   #111
Lief Erikson

I'm glad that the Sea Folk are in the book, they are good to have in there. I just find them irritating. Often, when I'm reading a book I get really interested in one specific area which there are characters in. That area I love it when we keep coming back to, but then there are other characters moving along their own plot strands at the same time, and those ones I find less interesting. I liked the parts with Egwene and the Aiel, and the scenes in which Rand is involved are always interesting. The bits with the Forsaken involved are also a lot more interesting, no matter whether they're fighting or plotting.

I hope that Lanfear and Moiraine return to how they were before somehow, but I doubt that that will be possible.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:07 AM   #112
Manwe Sulimo

Hmm... This could be spoilers... Did Moiraine and Lanfear return at all? Lanfear might be that new girl, but Moiraine??? If they have, I have forgotten about it since the last time I read the books...
It is really irritating when all you want to hear about is one area or person, and then suddenly he jumps around to update you on all the actions of the seven earlier main characters, and add a few new, so that you don't get any more of what you want for another fifty pages... :/
Old 07-31-2001, 12:38 PM   #113
Mathron

The new girl *IS* Lanfear - that is already revealed. Remember, neither she nor Moiraine *died* - they just went through a portal to the land of the snake people, or wherever. So, if Lanfear made her way back, Moiraine might do so also. As well, a few comments hint to this fact - such as Min saying that Moirane was the only person whose reading didn't come true, which would imply that she is probably still alive so it can come true, whatever it is.
Old 07-31-2001, 07:51 PM   #114
Manwe Sulimo

Okay, I thought I remembered reading it, but I was not sure...

As for Lanfear, she was reincarnated(I think?) by Shai'tan, and I think it will be a bit hard to get him to do the same for Moiraine... but I agree, they didn't die, and it is very possible that she returns too... I don't know to what purpose in the plot, though, but it would fit in with how it has been so far... all the old main characters remain, and we get some new all the time, so why not just resurrect one of the old ones just to have some more to write about?
Old 07-31-2001, 11:11 PM   #115
Lief Erikson

It is sometimes difficult to see exactly where Robert Jordan intends to go with all of his different plot strands. I certainly have theories of how some of them will eventually end up, but he doesn't always follow the rules. We'll just have to see how this works out.

I still have no idea what exactly happened with Lanfear and Moiraine inside the portal, but I'd be very interested to find out. And also to find out what happened to their old bodies and powers.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:36 AM   #116
Manwe Sulimo

Yeah, it would. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that RJ will not tell us anything about it. It is often that way, the things we want to hear about, we are not told about. :/
But I do hope that I am wrong, though...
Old 08-01-2001, 01:18 PM   #117
Mathron

Actually, I am pretty sure Lanfear was *not* reincarnated by The Dark One. So far we know that 2 were, but both were male (though one was given the body of a female in the reincarnation.) But Lanfear's comment, in the most recent book, was about losing some of her powers due to the dealings with the snake people - presumably a deal to get out of their land, which is where the portal led.

Of course, this is all of the top of my head, so who knows?
Old 08-02-2001, 06:52 AM   #118
Manwe Sulimo

You're probably right... everything to do with WoT is really buried long underground in my head...
Hmm... I'm getting confused now, but I'm not gonna reread all of the books, I don't have the time for that now, and I don't even have Winters Heart, which is where I would probably find what I'm looking for...

How do you think that Lanfear retured from behind the portal? Did she just use her power, blast all the snakepeople(or whoever it was behind there) out of the way, create a gateway and return to this world? If so, can Moiraine do the same, or isn't she powerful enough?
Old 08-02-2001, 02:07 PM   #119
Lief Erikson

Oh, I think she made a bargain with them of some sort. It's what that bargain was that I'm so curious about. Moiraine will probably show up in the next book sometime, but it'll be interesting to see if she has her own body still or not.

I'm really interested to see what happens now that Rand has used the Cheodan Kal. That really leaves some open possibilities. An enormous turn in the pattern, going very much against the Dark One's agenda.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:37 AM   #120
Manwe Sulimo

Yeah, I know...
Now the forsaken are more free, so the Dark Lord might have to take actions concerning them... We'll see what happens there soon enough...
After Rand used the Choedan Kal, he has an enormous force to go to battle with, and will not suffer as many losses as he did before...

I think there will come some unknown girl into the plot, and everyone will wonder if it is Moiraine come back or not.. the answer might wait three books into the future or something, though...