Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2005, 08:18 AM   #101
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
You do realise this picture is from a place called Area 51 where they arrange paintball games? That explains all the trees you see in the background, since the real Area 51 lies in the Nevada desert IIRC. Also, the real Area 51 wouldn't write "Area 51" on any of its signs, because that's just a name made up by others.

However there are signs around Area 51 that reads "restricted area", "no trespassing" and such.
It's called "Area 51" becousle it would have been a nukeular bomb testing site if it didn't become an aircraft test site

P.S.
Again I am not with the government
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:25 AM   #102
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

1) I realize that but it gives a sense of the real area as the signs are almost a copy of those seen in NV 2) the area was given it's designation when they "grid mapped" that section of the US for tests and military bases. It is in grid 51.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:29 AM   #103
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
1) I realize that but it gives a sense of the real area as the signs are almost a copy of those seen in NV 2) the area was given it's designation when they "grid mapped" that section of the US for tests and military bases. It is in grid 51.
Good, but let's get back on topic (anyone remember what the topic is? )
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:38 AM   #104
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

They had "Signs" on tv the other day. Crop circles are cool

Btw, what do you think about people who claim they've been abducted?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #105
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

M-the topic is UFO's and you started it
J- I believe there have been abductions ...but right now I've got to go eat breakfast
Old 05-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #106
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Btw, what do you think about people who claim they've been abducted?
I think I'll take the same view I take with other paranormal phenomena: I won't put it outside the realm of possibility, but I'll be skeptical until I have a personal experience. Or definitive proof. I think I'd rather have definitive proof of abductions and not a personal experience. From reading accounts of people who've had them, it would be traumatic. Plus, I'd rather not be probed.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #107
inked
Elf Lord

Interesting phenomena, the report of abductions. Very similar in many respects to Medieval reports of oppression and possession by evil spirits. I once read an interesting learned psychological comparison of these two phenomena. Anyone else read about that or recall the article? The formula of the reports is interestingly made fun on SOUTHPARK (can't recall the episode).
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #108
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

If aliens weren't associated with a physical body, wouldn't that make them angels/demons?

I'm totally acceptant of the idea that alien life could exist...the Bible doesn't prove or disprove it (after all, it was written for us, not aliens )
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #109
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
M-the topic is UFO's and you started it
J- I believe there have been abductions ...but right now I've got to go eat breakfast
Lol!

(drew barrymore voice from ET) alligators in the sewers...

I think there's most likely living planets with sentient beings upon them, perhaps in other galaxies, and it could be an infinite possibility of how many planets, how many galaxies, upon which and in which there's alien-to-us life.

Or, maybe not. Maybe Earth is a total anomaly, maybe we're the only planet with life forms on it, for all infinity. Wow. Yeah, probably not...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #110
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

*considers evil laughter, but decides against due to the animosity that it seems to build among sentient beings*
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by Spock : 12-11-2005 at 12:14 PM. Reason: this is NOT Star Wars forum
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:39 PM   #111
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
If aliens weren't associated with a physical body, wouldn't that make them angels/demons?

I'm totally acceptant of the idea that alien life could exist...the Bible doesn't prove or disprove it (after all, it was written for us, not aliens )
(Frowns) Hmm. An alien is defined as a being from another planet or another part of the universe. There is a scripture that says when God created the Earth, the stars (or angels) sang for joy. Jacob had a dream of angels descending and ascending a ladder between Earth and Heaven. God said somewhere in the New Testament, "Heaven is my throne and Earth is my footstool." At Jesus' ascension, he physically ascended, as did Elijah. It seems most likely that angels originated in Heaven rather than on Earth. If that is true, they probably did come from somewhere else in the universe, or perhaps from beyond it, perhaps from another dimension. In any case, many of them certainly don't have their home on Earth- we know that they travel between Heaven and Earth. So I think that that would make them aliens.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 AM   #112
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Does that mean aliens are probably religious too, like most humans?
Maybe in their Bible, they can read that God spent six days in some far away place and created a rather insignificant planet called "Earth"

Seriously, if we were visited by aliens, some very interesting subjects to discuss with them would be religious questions, ethics and morality.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #113
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

So after a three month absence, people have rediscoverd this topic. "J" I've always thought that a day in the mind of an omnipotent being was not the same as a day in our mind. "LE" ...be still my heart, we agree completly on this.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:39 PM   #114
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Does that mean aliens are probably religious too, like most humans?
Maybe in their Bible, they can read that God spent six days in some far away place and created a rather insignificant planet called "Earth"
Lol.
Quote:
Seriously, if we were visited by aliens, some very interesting subjects to discuss with them would be religious questions, ethics and morality.
Definitely.
Quote:
So after a three month absence, people have rediscoverd this topic. "J" I've always thought that a day in the mind of an omnipotent being was not the same as a day in our mind. "LE" ...be still my heart, we agree completly on this.
We agree? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW THAT WE AGREE!!!!!!!!? Shock, astonishment, flabbergastedness!

In reality, it doesn't shock me when we agree on things. We have disagreeements and agreements. We agree about Iraq, Islam, and apparently some scripture interpretation. We disagree about Israel and torture. I've got far more disagreements with Insidious Rex than I do with you, believe it or not, but we're good friends.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 12-11-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote