Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2005, 06:30 PM   #101
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Hey, question - is Feanor responsible for anything Good? Or just bad?
I'm pretty sure the point of this thread was to point out how he was responsible for bad things. But....make him responsible for what you will...

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #102
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I'll guess doing good things is not cool and I don't think this will be the best place to say if he did, you would be slaughtered like a chicken in a foxfarm
Old 02-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #103
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellquenti
Sorry Ellemire, I was out sharpening my kinslaying equipment
and recharging a silmaril or three!
Right who do you want me to whack in the head with the first one?
And it is NOT Feanor's fault!( whatever it is )I'll take the blame , I usually do
Oh, yes. Pytt is quite correct. We're claiming that everything is Fëanor's fault. Please try to refute us... this is getting too easy! :0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Comfect
Hey, question - is Feanor responsible for anything Good? Or just bad?
A good question, CC. Looking at this from a more... erm, serious, perspective, I would have to say that even Morgoth was responsible for good things (unintentionally, of course ). I'd bring the same judgement over to Fëanor.

It would be folly to say he was not responsible for anything good. Despite the incredible evil that came out of the Return, I don't think it can be claimed that no good came of it. Fëanor would therefore be as responsible for the good as for the evil.

But, in any case, I think that the evil far outweighs the good.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #104
Kellquenti
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
Oh, yes. Pytt is quite correct. We're claiming that everything is Fëanor's fault. Please try to refute us... this is getting too easy! :0

A good question, CC. Looking at this from a more... erm, serious, perspective, I would have to say that even Morgoth was responsible for good things (unintentionally, of course ). I'd bring the same judgement over to Fëanor.

It would be folly to say he was not responsible for anything good. Despite the incredible evil that came out of the Return, I don't think it can be claimed that no good came of it. Fëanor would therefore be as responsible for the good as for the evil.
But, in any case, I think that the evil far outweighs the good.
I refute everything!!! Feanor is just a scapegoat for all the petty , pathetic jealous nonentities that marred Arda or wherever, Just because he had the guts to stand up and say "RUDE WORDS TO YOU LOT!!!"
he gets slammed for it Pity some other nancy Elves didn't do the same, or dare I join Feanor in defying the Valar(which I do!!! ) some of them!!!! Mr Manwe was not exactly pro active in his ideas , I shall probably be cursed with the same curse as Feanor (GOOD I DON'T CARE!!! ) I have a silmaril ready to whack the nearest non Feanor senseless!!
(Bad day at the forge today!! )
Kellquenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #105
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
I refute everything!!! Feanor is just a scapegoat for all the petty , pathetic jealous nonentities that marred Arda or wherever, Just because he had the guts to stand up and say "RUDE WORDS TO YOU LOT!!!"
he gets slammed for it Pity some other nancy Elves didn't do the same, or dare I join Feanor in defying the Valar(which I do!!! ) some of them!!!! Mr Manwe was not exactly pro active in his ideas , I shall probably be cursed with the same curse as Feanor (GOOD I DON'T CARE!!! ) I have a silmaril ready to whack the nearest non Feanor senseless!!
(Bad day at the forge today!! )
Are you okay, Kell?

Anyway, he did a lot more than just say rude words. Let's see... rebellion, murder, treason... The list goes on until he finally died.

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #106
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Are you okay, Kell?

Anyway, he did a lot more than just say rude words. Let's see... rebellion, murder, treason... The list goes on until he finally died.
Uselessly, stupidly. He had about as much notion of tactics as a year-old bull calf. "Hey, there's the big, impregnible fortress of Morgoth on Arda, surrounded with Balrogs. Let's go smash ourselves against the walls."
Old 02-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #107
Kellquenti
Enting

Quote:
Are you okay, Kell?

I'm fine just my Feanorian fire spirit got loose As it sometimes does, (by the way , shall I sling the first one at Atalus?)
Old 02-03-2005, 12:52 AM   #108
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
Uselessly, stupidly. He had about as much notion of tactics as a year-old bull calf. "Hey, there's the big, impregnible fortress of Morgoth on Arda, surrounded with Balrogs. Let's go smash ourselves against the walls."
What an absolute idiot. (not you, Attalus )

Interesting, the obvious distinction between genious and true wisdom, wouldn't you all say? Here's the logic of the most brilliant of the Noldor.

Count Comfect and I have been discussing it over PM and don't really think that Fëanor's sons stood much of a chance against him and the Oath.

Since there's not much more to blame Fëanor on, anyone want to move into discussing his sons?

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 02-12-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #109
Pytt

Blaming his sons too? or speaking of them in a general way? Yes, why not? maybe you come up with more things to blame Feanor for
Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 AM   #110
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Actually, it might seem strange, but I don't blame them that much at all. I don't think you can look at the Oath as just a normal sort of promise... geas goes much further than that...

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 AM   #111
Pytt

Yes, I agree. The Oath is much stronger. That truly was Feanors fault, not his sons.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:29 AM   #112
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

I'm quite against the argument that Fëanor's sons did not have to follow after their father and speak the Oath. After all, Fëanor managed to incite almost all of the Noldor to rebellion... and then to kinslaying.

How could his sons have abandoned him in that moment? How could they have withstood their father when few else of the Noldor could? And I think filial duty comes into it quite a bit here as well...

And what could they have done after?

*This* is why I hate Fëanor.

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 AM   #113
Pytt

Yes. Who were they, his sons if they had opposed him, when everyone else hailed him? He got to be a elf people liked and admired to get them to that.
So if they sons of Feanor "had" a choice, they really had not. I don't find a hiting comparsion now.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #114
Kellquenti
Enting

Quote:
What an absolute idiot. :rolleyes (not you, Attalus )

Interesting, the obvious distinction between genious and true wisdom, wouldn't you all say? Here's the logic of the most brilliant of the Noldor.

Count Comfect and I have been discussing it over PM and don't really think that Fëanor's sons stood much of a chance against him and the Oath.

Since there's not much more to blame Fëanor on, anyone want to move into discussing his sons?
Oooh careful!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:20 PM   #115
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Oooh careful!
I'm defending them, Kell. Though in some cases, I don't know why...

Neil Gaiman
Old 02-03-2005, 03:33 PM   #116
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Everythings Fëanor's sons did was Fëanor's fault!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #117
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Everythings Fëanor's sons did was Fëanor's fault!
Yes, exactly. So, what shall we blame them for?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #118
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
I'm fine just my Feanorian fire spirit got loose As it sometimes does, (by the way , shall I sling the first one at Attalus?)
S'okay, I am armoured in armour of the Elder days. Ooh, lets start with Celegorm and Curufin, guilty of kidnapping and holding Luthien to get her daddy to marry Celegorm. What a name, BTW. I think JRRT disliked him, too.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #119
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, and trying to usurp Finrod's throne and turning all his people against him.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #120
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Of Feanor's sons, Celegorm & Curufin are the only ones I really dislike... I have sympathy for all the others in one way or another, since everything they may have done was Feanor's fault. The kidnapping of Luthien etc., however, was not.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote