Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2004, 05:09 PM   #101
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I guess the equivalent would be freeway on-ramps, but they don't go in complete circles, as (I think, IIRC) the British ones do ... you either merge or go off the side of the road Sometimes for big freeway interchanges, you'll have three, and they're called "cloverleafs".
"Cloverleafs" - what a pretty name! Brightens up a dull road feature.

Thanks Rian
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #102
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

you're welcome - and they actually do look a bit like a giant concrete cloverleaf! We should paint them green!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:17 PM   #103
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

we call them rotaries (or maybe rotarys... i don't spell them that often) in massachusetts... the same as they are in england, where multiple roads come together... though we stick to the other side of the road, of course

i believe they are fairly rare in the US outside of mass., as many of my friends get very confused by them when they drive here... which can be somewhat dangerous
Old 03-19-2004, 05:35 PM   #104
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I guess the equivalent would be freeway on-ramps, but they don't go in complete circles, as (I think, IIRC) the British ones do ... you either merge or go off the side of the road Sometimes for big freeway interchanges, you'll have three, and they're called "cloverleafs".
if you mean where smaller road goes down and merges with
larger road, we have them on uk motorways
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:47 PM   #105
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
we call them rotaries (or maybe rotarys... i don't spell them that often) in massachusetts... the same as they are in england, where multiple roads come together... though we stick to the other side of the road, of course

i believe they are fairly rare in the US outside of mass., as many of my friends get very confused by them when they drive here... which can be somewhat dangerous
There were many in New Jersey and there still are some in the state. They have been phased out over the years due to too many idiots driving at the same time.

I think Rotaries (or Circles as they are refered to in NJ) are good, since you avoid having a traffic light. This is especially good late at night. It is annoying to be at a red light waiting for air. The problems with circles are:
  1. that people entering a circle do not yield to people currently in the circle.
  2. the circle is not upgraded to accommodate higher traffic volumes when appropriate.
  3. some people are (to put it politely ) not coordinated enough to navigate a circle.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #106
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

on british roundabouts, you give way to those coming from he right, although in usa it would be left, and there are usually at least 2 lanes, so can always get in easily,
some of these roundabouts have traffic lights

this system works well enough for us, dont know why it wouldnt for americans
Old 03-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #107
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
That makes sense

Since I'm on a roll: someone asked a question in another thread about whether Americans use the word "roundabout". As in those things in the road, not at a fairground Is there a different word or do you not really have them in the US?
We say circle. New Jersey has many circles - although a lot of them are being dimantled and stop lights or jug handles are going in.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:34 PM   #108
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

jug handles????????

what do you mean by that?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:39 PM   #109
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
"Cloverleafs" - what a pretty name! Brightens up a dull road feature.

Thanks Rian
Cloverleafs are different than circles aka roundabouts (in brit speak).

Here is a New Jersey circle - Cardiff Circle

Quote:
New Jersey is one of the most populated states in the nation and also boasts the most paved roads of highway per area than any other state. In fact, there are over 33,000 linear miles of local, county and state roads. Therefore, it is no wonder that New Jersey holds its place in contributions to the national transportation scene.

In 1925, a very innovative concept was introduced - the country's first traffic circle, built in Pennsauken. The principal of the traffic circle (or "rotary") is that it allows for greater volumes of traffic to pass through an intersection of two or more highways without having to stop. Following the success of the first traffic circle in Pennsauken, (or the "Airport Circle" as it would later be called) the construction of other circles sprang up around the country.

A total of 67 traffic circles were eventually built throughout New Jersey, with most of the construction taking place in the 1920's and 1930's. However, with increases in vehicle speeds and traffic volumes, the efficiency and safety of traffic circles declined to the point where the state transportation department decided to start eliminating them. One recent such circle falling victim is the Cardiff Circle in Egg Harbor Township in Atlantic County located just outside of Atlantic City.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #110
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
jug handles????????

what do you mean by that?
Instead of being able to make left hand turns and back up traffic - you make a right - swing around and then have to cross the street you were just on. It looks like a jug handle - hence it's name. it prevents traffic congestion.

It looks sort of like this -

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-19-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:56 AM   #111
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
There was this tv program called "Bästa formen" (The Best Design) in which they asked people to call in or send a postcard with their choices of prettiest and ugliest roundabout (Rondell in Swedish). They also said that they think that "roundaboutitis" is spreading in Sweden because every other town or community build one or more roundabout.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 03-21-2004 at 04:09 AM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #112
Janny
The Blobbit

So my English teacher was right about the roundabout / rotary thing?! This is most distressing!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #113
Janny
The Blobbit

Oh. What are the connotations of the phrase 'waiting on...'? I mean is it a direct translation of 'waiting for...' or does it imply more than just waiting?
If you were to do a song, say 'Waiting on a Sunny Day', would it be weird to change it from upbeat to broody?

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #114
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Okay a question - In England the clocks went forward today. So it's 9:25 here, but why does it still say 8:25 on the Entmoot clock thing??? Or am I being stupid and have to actually change it to GMT-1 or something? Am am no good with time zones - or computers!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #115
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i didnt notice that, till now

i had to change all my clocks, and lose an hour in my precious bed!!
all this GMT/BST Frigs with my head
Old 03-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #116
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I know - I can't believe I lost an hour in bed!!! It means I'll be catching up with sleep again at school! I still keep on thinking it's only half eight!!! Plus it messes up with my medication.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #117
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

We, in Israel, switch the time on April 5th-6th. So... right now I'm one hour from England, and on the same time as in Europe... I think..
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #118
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
We, in Israel, switch the time on April 5th-6th. So... right now I'm one hour from England, and on the same time as in Europe... I think..
Cool, we're on the same time for about week then.

Does anyone know when the Entmoot clock will update itself?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #119
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Cool, we're on the same time for about week then.

Does anyone know when the Entmoot clock will update itself?
I think that the time at Entmoot is what you have set in your user options, so it should have changed today.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #120
Ruinel
Banned

I'm GMT -6
I'm on whenever.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote