Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #101
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(it's so fun reading this thread - I don't have a CLUE what you're talking about!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 03:51 AM   #102
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Now you know how we feel in the baseball thread
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:30 AM   #103
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

We haven't even started on driving his googlies over the covers.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 AM   #104
Janny
The Blobbit

Indeed. We may require Hawkeye to determine if that pitched outside the line of leg stump, and thus if it were a legitimate appeal. Mind you, it did hit him above the roll.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:53 AM   #105
Draken
Elf Lord

Has anyone demonstrated how accurate Hawkeye is, by the way?

Overall though, compared to other sports I'm impressed by how often Test umpires get marginal decsions right. I suppose they have it easy in the sense that they stand still and concentrate on a small field of view, but all the same they seem to do well.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:44 AM   #106
Draken
Elf Lord

Bloody hell 566-9 dec! How did we manage that? Anyone get so see Freddy's knock, I'm at work so I didn't get to see it

....or am I?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:42 PM   #107
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good question (about Hawkeye). Who knows whether it's more or less accurate than an umpire? It certainly adds to the joy of spending the day chugging 4X in front of the telly.

I saw a bit of Freddy last night but have also been working today, sadly. Looks like Lara and Sarwan are putting a decent partnership together in reply.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:55 PM   #108
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
by sunstar
Now you know how we feel in the baseball thread
Ah, baseball's easy to understand! You go with some friends to a game, you buy hot dogs, you eat, you cheer and/or boo!

But baseball doesn't have such fun words as these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
We haven't even started on driving his googlies over the covers.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #109
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

What's baseball?

I'm so proud of Freddie.

i think i am developing a serious mental condition when it comes to the english team. I've gotten used to us doing reasonably now. I think it's called hope.

I wish i was in manchester. My dad's nipping over to Old Trafford today to catch some time. i had to pick this weekend to visit my flat. why murphy, why? Plus, i haven't sorted out my license yet, so i can't even watch it on tv.

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 04:18 PM   #110
Janny
The Blobbit

Janny
The Blobbit

*Stands on one leg*

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 AM   #111
Draken
Elf Lord

Found this on thre BBC website. I hope Derbyshire are in the hunt for his signature - we need all the help we can get!

Batsman's sixes 'call off match'

A Hong Kong cricket match has been cancelled because of fears that one of its big-hitting stars will pose a danger to passing traffic. The decision was made after 24-year-old Hussain Butt struck 36 sixes in a league match for Hong Kong University.

Two of his drives hit cars travelling past the ground, the Sunday Morning Post reported, and others threatened players on a nearby tennis court.

Officials told the paper they had to postpone the game for "public safety".

Butt's performance for his university side on Saturday impressed spectators, if not the match organisers.

The Pakistani player's knack for hitting boundaries meant he made 311 not out - but lost 12 balls in the process.

....or am I?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 AM   #112
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken
Found this on thre BBC website. I hope Derbyshire are in the hunt for his signature - we need all the help we can get!

Batsman's sixes 'call off match'

A Hong Kong cricket match has been cancelled because of fears that one of its big-hitting stars will pose a danger to passing traffic. The decision was made after 24-year-old Hussain Butt struck 36 sixes in a league match for Hong Kong University.

Two of his drives hit cars travelling past the ground, the Sunday Morning Post reported, and others threatened players on a nearby tennis court.

Officials told the paper they had to postpone the game for "public safety".

Butt's performance for his university side on Saturday impressed spectators, if not the match organisers.

The Pakistani player's knack for hitting boundaries meant he made 311 not out - but lost 12 balls in the process.
Yeah, its funny you should mention that actually, because over here in Australia there is quite a similar thing happening.

I have a mate who plays in Melbourne, and there is currently talk around the division 1 clubs about having the hitting of sixes BANNED, because of the danger to the public.
Melbourne is one of Australia's oldest cities, and it also has some of the oldest cricket grounds, and these ground did start out as being surrounded by sheep farms. But that didn't last long, and all Melbourne grounds are smack bang in amongst houses.

I really don't like the idea of "banning" sixes, and I also fail to see really how it can be enforced. All it takes is a top edge off a good paceman to make it go for a six, after all.

And if people are considering banning sixes, perhaps we should have a serious look at golf, because most courses are surrounded by houses, and golf balls are far more likely to fly into houses than cricket balls are.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #113
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Banning sixes? Has the world gone mad? If you're lucky enough to have a house overlooking a cricket ground you shouldn't be moaning about the odd ball ending up in your corn flakes.

I don't know, some people...
Old 11-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #114
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

They could put signs around cricket fields (pitches?) like they do around golf courses, to pay attention for errant balls.

I've only played cricket once, and it was so much fun!
Our wicket - a chair
Our bat - made out of a thick dowel and two strips of plywood
Our ball - a tennis ball (this led to unreasonably far hits for some players)
Our players - about 20 eight to twelve year-old kids at a camp, and myself and the other group leader. They were great kids, always up for a new game. It was my partner that thought up our makeshift cricket game.

Good times were had by all.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #115
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

What a wonderful game!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #116
Janny
The Blobbit

Banning sixes?! I smell a Health and Safety Executive... I bet the dastardly EU has a hand in this...

Yes, I am fully aware that neither Hong Kong nor Australia are in Europe...

Yet.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:17 PM   #117
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

They can't ban sixes. England would lose out on most Andy Flintoff's score!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 10:32 AM   #118
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What exactly are sixes? I don't know very much about cricket!

Don't India and Pakistan also have really good cricket teams?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #119
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
What exactly are sixes? I don't know very much about cricket!

Don't India and Pakistan also have really good cricket teams?
A six is scored when a batsman (batter, for the baseball orientated) hits a ball on the full out of the bounds of play, usually out of the ground. It can be loosley compared to a home run, and it happens about as rarely. It is quite a good shot to play.

And no, India and Pakistan do not have really good cricket teams. The good teams in world today would be Australia and South Africa, with maybe India being considered on a good day. Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, New Zealand (sorry kiwis but you know its true); these nations are really the lightweights of World Cricket. The dominant teams are Australia, The West Indies, South Africa, England, Pakistan and India; with Australia dominating the sport outright over the past ten years.
Canada and the rest of the world teams are not to be considered world standard, and when they meet one of the 10 big teams the result is usually a bloody massacre.

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 11-19-2004 at 12:18 AM.
Fenir_LacDanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:54 AM   #120
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I can handle batsman. You meant batsman right?

Thanks for the info Fenir. I'm confused, you said that India and Pakistan didn't have good teams, but then you said they were among the worlds best...
Quote: