Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 08:30 PM   #101
galadriel1

Re: what are you reading right now?

Elrond: How nice to see you! It`s been some time! What have you been up to? Yes, there ARE some of us out there who actually know of Red Dwarf! Dunedain Lady: I commend your monumental efforts on delving into Les Miserables. It IS a good read if you have the stamina! : ) Enjoy! As for me, I`ve most recently been reading a lot of history books. Stephen E. Ambrose is a favorite author of mine. His books are excellent. I finished up two of his in the past months - Undaunted Courage (about Merriwether Lewis and Thomas Jefferson and the opening of the West) and Nothing Like It In The World (about the Transcontinental Railroad). I also just read James Bradley`s and Ron Powers` Flags of our Fathers (about the men who raised the flag on Iwo Jima). I`m now delving back into Marion Zimmer Bradley`s Lady of Avalon, The Forest House, and The Mists of Avalon. It`s been many years since I`ve read those. I want to reacquaint myself with those before the TNT miniseries of "The Mists of Avalon" airs in the Spring. It doesn`t look too bad.

Old 02-26-2001, 11:06 PM   #102
galadriel1

Re: What are you reading right now?

DARN! Why is it that my paragraphs look fine on the preview but always disappear on the final post? What am I doing wrong guys? HELP! Sorry to go OT but I`m wondering why that always happens. Anyone? Elrond, I believe I know that book you are talking about but I cannot remember the author, either.

Old 02-27-2001, 07:44 AM   #103
Niffiwan

Right now I'm reading In the Shadow of a Rainbow, which is a story but isn't fiction.
I'm also reading Antarctica: the furtherst south expedition, 1918 by Ernest Shackley, which isn't fiction either.
I'm also reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany, although I halted at that because it got a bit too... depressing. I simply didn't have enough stamina to bear the weight of that book that is being extremely pessimistic without admitting it in the story...

I recently read Sorcerer's Son (which I give a 9 out of 10) and its sequel, The Crystal Palace (which I give a 6.8 out of 10).

Old 02-28-2001, 01:05 AM   #104
anduin

Hi Gabby! :)

Sorry, but I haven't a clue what could be causing your problem.

Right now I'm reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

Old 02-28-2001, 08:57 PM   #105
Elrond

Re: Hi Gabby! :)

Hi Galadriel!

Have now discovered Jane Austen. Managed to read Pride +Prejudice in one night (admitedly I stayed up a little late), and am now going 2 read Emma.

Old 02-28-2001, 10:02 PM   #106
galadriel1

Classics

Ahh, delving into the classics I see? I, admittedly, have never read P&P or Emma. I`m not familiar with many of her works. I never read much of her books for some reason. Perhaps one of these days. You must`ve liked P&P to have read it in one night! I get like that when I`m reading the LotR books. I stay up until all hours of the night! They`re so hard to put down! Hi Anduin. How are you?

Old 02-28-2001, 10:22 PM   #107
galadriel1

Re: Shadow...

Niffiwan: Are you referring to the story of the man and the wolf and the friendship that developed between them? It`s an interesting book. Do I detect an interest in nature, etc. there? The Antarctica book sounds interesting. I read a lot of nonfiction especially if it has to do with history, science (astronomy, nature, weather, etc.) or music. I don`t know of Dhalgren. What`s it about? It looks like there are a lot of us on the board that read several books at the same time! I`ve been known to read up to 4 at the same time!

Old 03-01-2001, 03:57 AM   #108
Niffiwan

Dhalgren is the most unorthodox book you'll ever read.
It starts on half a sentence and the main character has multiple personalities and amnesia.
For more info, look it up at www.amazon.com

Do you detect an interest in nature? Yes, you do.

Old 03-02-2001, 05:45 AM   #109
anduin

Re: ...

Gabby....In between moves. We are buying a house but are unable to move in until the sellers can move into the house they are building. So I am currently a little displaced and longing for a permanant place to live. Other than that, I'm doing dandy. Glad to see you around here.

Old 03-10-2001, 05:32 AM   #110
IronParrot

IP's reading update:

Currently on C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle, wrapping up my Narnia marathon. At the same time, doing Sophocles' Oedipus Rex and Saint-Exupery's Le Petit Prince ( The Little Prince) for school.

On my short-term to-read list, which includes a few re-reads: Mitchell's Gone With The Wind, Palanhiuk's Fight Club, Vonnegut's Player Piano, Beowulf, and of course LOTR again. And I might actually re-read the Harry Potter books after that, even though I just went through them for the first time only a month ago. On my school to-read list: Euripedes' Medea and Aesychlus' Agammemnon.

Old 03-10-2001, 09:28 AM   #111
Elrond

I gotta read Of Mice and Men, Blood Brothers (a play by willy russell for anyone who doesn't know, but it's pretty famous.) and some poens by Seamus Heaney for school. Apart from the poems, it sux. I HATE willy russell's plays, although everyone else seems to like them, and of mice and men isn't exactly fun.

Old 03-20-2001, 12:53 AM   #112
galadriel1

Re:...

Hey there ANDUIN: It`s nice to be chatting with you again. I`ve been extremely lax on emails the past few months. Guess I`ve gotten a bit lazy over the winter months. It happens. Sounds like you`re in limbo as far as the house goes. Any word yet on when you might be able to move in? NIFFIWAN: That sounds like a rather tedious book. Think I`ll pass. Not the sort of reading I want to do right now. ELROND: I know of Seamus. I like some of his writings. Any certain works of his you like? Or are you not really into his style?

Old 03-28-2001, 07:11 PM   #113
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Re:...

we're actually only doing a couple of his poems. One is The Early Purges. It's a little strange. I got into a lengthly debate on animal rights over it in English W/my teacher, who wasn't impressed that a) I understood the poem without his help and b) I chose to express my Views in the middle of his class... still... he's not used to people like me. I like the style of the poem, but dont some of the content of that particular one.

Old 04-03-2001, 04:17 PM   #114
mercyfish

I just finished reading The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez Reverte. It is a good page turning read dealing with antique book collecting, the devil, and The Three Musketeers. Three of my favorite topics? :-) It is the book that the movie The Ninth Gate was based on, and as is usual is far more more entertaining than the movie.

I am currently reading Western Skies by John Barsness which is a collection of essays on upland bird hunting in the Western United States.

Bob

Old 04-09-2001, 07:22 AM   #115
Elanor

Shakespeare

Old 04-16-2001, 03:40 PM   #116
anduin

J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator.

Old 04-18-2001, 06:03 AM   #117
Wizard of Ozymandias

Thornhold by Elaine Cunningham. I picked up Scott's Ivanhoe, but I have a few books ahead of it on the reading pile right now.

Old 04-26-2001, 09:19 PM   #118
Fat middle

LOL! anduin, i've just bought Pictures by JRR Tolkien

just finished Ethan Canin's Of Kings and Planets. didn't like it much

currently reading Much Ado About Nothing

Old 04-28-2001, 03:52 AM   #119
galadriel1

I just finished "Winter Solstice" by Rosamund Pilcher. Before that, I read Bruce Edward Hall`s "Tea That Burns: A Memoir of Chinatown" which I found to be very interesting. I`m just starting Jon Land`s "A Walk In Darkness". I haven`t read any of his before. It sounds interesting. Next up: another of B. E. Hall`s - "Diamond Street". Those should keep me busy for about a week! hehe

Old 04-28-2001, 03:59 AM   #120
galadriel1

I`m embarrassed to ask this but what is "Pictures" by JRR Tolkien? I don`t know that one! Is it something that`s just out recently? ???

Closed Thread