Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2011, 01:33 AM   #101
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Thank you... I know that things will work out. I do believe everything happens for a good reason. I don't think I'll rent a harp till my dad has a job. It it comes down to it, I would prefer to have my resources available to help my parents.

Quote:
Since I cannot practice I'm not sure there's a point to taking the lessons... but I think I'll try for at least a half hour each week. We'll see!!!
Harp rental is out of the question, too? You checked that out?

Quote:
I'm working on some arranging on the piano for harp. I'm going to get that Sylvia Woods book to help me.
That's a good idea - I re-read it over the last 2 nights, and it's absolutely brilliant - SO helpful. Her discussion notes on arranging with the harp's unique characteristics in mind are very practical and helpful. The "neutral chord" thing (her term) was esp. brilliant (I won't tell what it is - it will be incentive for you to get the book because now you won't be able to sleep until you find out what she says ). There are definitely issues with the harp not having all the half-steps instantly available.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #102
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Just found a discussion board for harpists ... harpcolumn.com

EDIT - I see you already found it, Tessar ... I think that's you asking about Sweetharps and Ravennas, right?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-19-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #103
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hehe, you found me.

Rental is out of the question in the sense that I would feel weird bringing an expensive instrument into the house when my parents are having these problems. Right now my only monthly expense that I have to pay (aside from gasoline, etc.) is my phone bill. If I have to I can always stop my voice coachings and sundry till my dad finds a job. Till he does, I'd rather have all of my money available.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #104
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Awww geeze. Today she showed me how to play an arpeggio and a scale (passing over and under). I gotta get SOMETHING to practice on. I'm thinking the cardboard harp. Inexpensive and not something that will make anyone feel uncomfortable.

I'm gonna order it as soon as I get home.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #105
Rían

That sounds like a great option, as long as the string spacing is the standard size. Please be sure that this is the case! I thought that all harp string spacings were the same, but my Mom's Celtic harp has smaller spacing, and I just have a terrible time playing it. Her huge lever harp had the same spacing as my harp, and I could easily transition to that harp. You do NOT want to learn on odd-sized spacing!!!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #106
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hmmm, I do not see any mention of standard spacing, but honestly I'm not overly worried... I have a LOT of experience in learning to "adjust" my hands on the fly for different pianos. We're talking about one morning playing a piece on my piano at home, in the afternoon working it on a piano in a practice room at school, and then in the evening giving it a runthrough on the piano at church. All of the pianos feel massively different, and it takes me a minute to adjust, but I can do it... although I know some pianists have a much harder time of it than I do (probably because I don't practice ENOUGH on just one piano ).
Old 09-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #107
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh, Rian... two things:

1. My teacher does tune her harp into Eb.

2. She taught me a little 'filler' to begin pieces. It's basically just a 9th chord, all freaked out. So in G major you'd go G A B D... on 4 3 2 1 fingers. It's not an inversion, but I honestly can't think of what you'd call it... Do you have any idea what that is?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #108
Rían

Quote:
Hmmm, I do not see any mention of standard spacing, but honestly I'm not overly worried... I have a LOT of experience in learning to "adjust" my hands on the fly for different pianos....
OK, you should be fine, then. That doesn't work for me, though.

Quote:
Oh, Rian... two things:

1. My teacher does tune her harp into Eb.
oh, ok - interesting - and I just took mine out of Eb and put it into Bb! Maybe I'll put it back after I get caught up with the other pieces and finally learn the one I want to learn in 3 flats ....

Quote:
2. She taught me a little 'filler' to begin pieces. It's basically just a 9th chord, all freaked out. So in G major you'd go G A B D... on 4 3 2 1 fingers. It's not an inversion, but I honestly can't think of what you'd call it... Do you have any idea what that is?
*goes to the harp and tries it*
Yeah, that's nice - I tried it in the key of C, using the G chord as the V chord in my right and playing that GABD in my left, and it was very nice - it wanted to resolve back into the C (I played a I - C, then a IV - F, then a V - G with the GABD in the left hand, then it lead nicely back to the C).

It's basically a G chord in the root position with a 9th added on, but into the middle instead of at the top. That's nice - I like that Feel free to pass on anything your teacher says! I love those little tips. I'm not taking lessons now - just can't fit it in. And I wouldn't even want to until I got pretty much back to where I was.

Hope you can get that cardboard harp soon!

Last edited by Rían : 09-20-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #109
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Gah, I went to buy it but HESITATED. >.< I keep thinking, "I'd rather use that to rent a real harp."

... but then again lets be honest. Cardboard harps freaking amaze me. I mean... just.... WHAT?! Who even thought of that? They need a medal, ASAP, and maybe a prize. Not a Nobel prize, just a prize.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #110
Rían

You should get it - since you want to perform, it will be a great harp to have for backup situations, to take with you on trips, or even for bad weather situations. And it will let you start practicing! The sound will never be like a better harp's sound, but I think it will be invaluable for you to start practicing and for backup - and then you just enjoy the nicer sound when you finally get it

Last edited by Rían : 09-20-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #111
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You're so wise, Rian. I think I will, when I get home. Fingers crossed I don't choke all over again and go, "BUT I WANNA RAVENNNNNAAAAAAA."

I counted the keys on my piano (from G below Middle C) up 22 "strings" and started trying to rearrange some stuff... it looks very do-able. Had to change a few keys around (for example one of my absolute favorites that I just discovered recently, "Si Bheag Si Mhor" [also known as Sheebeg and Sheemore]) but it all seems to work okay... I actually moved "Penelope's Song" by Loreena McKennitt up a 4th, inverted a few chords, and it all seemed to work okay.

One thing I really enjoyed about my last lesson is that my teacher does seem to have a good understanding of the "why" of the technique. I asked her some technical questions about wrist/elbow/finger positioning and she was able to break it down and show me how and why to use specific techniques.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #112
Rían

Quote:
You're so wise, Rian. I think I will, when I get home. Fingers crossed I don't choke all over again and go, "BUT I WANNA RAVENNNNNAAAAAAA."
Tell me about it ...

(but at least I have a good small harp )

Quote:
I counted the keys on my piano (from G below Middle C) up 22 "strings" and started trying to rearrange some stuff... it looks very do-able.
Well, now that's smart! Great idea! Now just remember to NOT play your harp like a piano! If you do, I will fly thru the Innertubes and smack you!

Quote:
Had to change a few keys around (for example one of my absolute favorites that I just discovered recently, "Si Bheag Si Mhor" [also known as Sheebeg and Sheemore]) but it all seems to work okay... I actually moved "Penelope's Song" by Loreena McKennitt up a 4th, inverted a few chords, and it all seemed to work okay.
And that is why theory is valuable!

Quote:
One thing I really enjoyed about my last lesson is that my teacher does seem to have a good understanding of the "why" of the technique. I asked her some technical questions about wrist/elbow/finger positioning and she was able to break it down and show me how and why to use specific techniques.
please please PLEASE pass on whatever you can!! It's been so long since I've had a lesson, I know I've forgotten a lot I was playing the other day, then re-read Sylvia's harp book and realized that my wrists were collapsing. I fixed that, and it felt a lot better. Please pass on whatever you can! *puppy-dog eyes*

Old 09-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #113
Rían

The Good News : I'm getting sooooo much better at playing thru pieces instead of stopping stone cold dead with my mouth hanging open! Tessar, your tip of making the mistakes part of that particular playing was helpful, along with really paying attention to what key I'm in and the relevant chords.

The Bad News : I'm soooooo much worse than I used to be before we moved to Arizona and I got hit with tons of family issues and 3 surgeries

The Good News : I just finished playing for an hour or so, and my shoulder is sore, but holding up

The Bad News : I can tell already that Tessar is going to blow right by me as soon as he gets his harp and I'm jealous!

The Good News : I"m so excited for Tessar - I can just tell he's going to be great!

Last edited by Rían : 09-21-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #114
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Okay, I'm putting this here because this is about instrumental/vocal balance...

I tried some different settings, and this is the one that came out the best. The microphone is about 5 feet behind my back (it's not next to the laptop camera).

The top notes (aside from being way out of tune...) do overwhelm, but I think overall this is the best balance I'm going to get with one microphone. However the piano sounds muffled, and I'm not thrilled with the lack of clarity in the voice either. I think the only way to fix that would be to record them separately, or with two microphones at once.

I think a big part of the problem is the microphone is behind my back... I'm literally singing away from it. It needs to be in front of me to pick up all of the vocal colors/subtleties. But in front of me, the voice definitely overwhelms the piano. On the plus side, now I know what I sound like to people who stand behind me in choir.

I could use some opinions. Any thoughts, guys? Is the balance between the piano and the voice okay?

http://youtu.be/m6q8PiDu9Us

P.S. I do apologize for how rough it is. I haven't sung or played this piece in forever, but it was the first thing I saw when I sat down to record.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #115
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Tessar, your tip of making the mistakes part of that particular playing was helpful
I am so glad!!! It takes a lot of practice, and to be honest.... there are some flubs that are (for me!) impossible to just melodiously recover from... but the more you practice at making your mistakes part of the music, the worse the flub you'll be able to cover. Of course, if you keep making a flub over and over that's bad. Don't practice in mistakes... but do learn how to cover them when they happen.

Quote:
The Bad News : I'm soooooo much worse than I used to be before we moved to Arizona and I got hit with tons of family issues and 3 surgeries

Quote:
The Bad News : I can tell already that Tessar is going to blow right by me as soon as he gets his harp and I'm jealous!
I have quite a ways to go before I blow past anyone. I suspect that it will take me a while to get to your level. Your knowledge of music theory seems to be at least as good as mine, if not better, and you are quite the musical soul. Don't discount yourself. Aside from that, I'll never play anything like Rian can, because only Rian can give it that touch that only Rian has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
please please PLEASE pass on whatever you can!! It's been so long since I've had a lesson, I know I've forgotten a lot I was playing the other day, then re-read Sylvia's harp book and realized that my wrists were collapsing. I fixed that, and it felt a lot better. Please pass on whatever you can! *puppy-dog eyes*

Sho' thang.

Since you mentioned wrists... I drilled my teacher with a million questions about the wrist/hand position, and we finally narrowed it down to: Keep your wrists in a (relaxed) line with your forearm. Don't make them absolutely straight at all times (i.e. "force them" straight) but keep them as one line and return to that line as much as possible as soon as you stray from it.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #116
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Just got an e-mail my harp teacher will be out of town next Monday, so no harp lesson.

That was the kick in the pants I needed. Ordered the 22 string cardboard harp... we'll see how long it takes to arrive!

No way I'm letting all of my lesson-money vanish over the next two weeks just because I have nothing to practice on.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:48 AM   #117
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Sounds like a good idea!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #118
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ack! I can't wait to get my hands on that harp. I ordered it it on the 20th or 21st and still no word that it has been shipped!! >.<
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #119
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

My oldest sister, the art major, just helped me settle on a White Tree of Gondor design for my cardboard harp.

CAN YOU EVEN CONCIEVE OF HOW AMAZING THIS IS?! A CARDBOARD HARP!!! ... WITH THE WHITE TREE OF GONDOR!?!?!!?...... I MEAN........ WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAT?!

How does this stuff even HAPPEN? You know? This is going to be so amazing that all shall fear and love my cardboard harp... If this thing doesn't arrive in the mail soon I'mma explode with anticipation.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #120
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You could add your name in Tengwar underneath. But won't the drawing influence the integrity of the harp if it's made of cardboard?