Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #101
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That's interesting Katya. I think it depends on how the individuals feel. Personally, I would want a career, and I my future husband does too. I think because we would both be busy, we would raise the kids equally.

My mom stayed home when my brother and I were young, and worked part-time when we were older. My parents raised us equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Let's see, you have an elected representative government, right?

The legislature makes the laws in an orderly fashion, right?

Then the Courts interpret the laws and judge them to be appropriate or not in relation to the Constititution (in which regard, is it written or not?) ?

Now, if I have the sequence right, please explain how the process is working properly when the tail is wagging the dog?
The tail is not wagging the dog, the Charter is the dog.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 10:36 AM   #102
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

Charter, schmarta (to borrow nifty, neat word from Lizra).

The laws have not been made or voted on. How can a Court rule on any non-existent laws? is my question. The tail (the Court assessment of legislation) is clearly wagging the dog (the decision to make laws by the legislature who haven't voted to on this subject). Help me out here. I am trying to understand.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:32 AM   #103
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Now I know how JD feels... *hugs JD*

Charter schmarter! *bangs head against desk* It's not my fault that you don't understand the Canadian legal system! Know that our Supreme court judges are not merely pulling judgements out of their wazoo for reasons I stated above. I wish I was more of an expert on the Charter to explain it better.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #104
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

How do you render a judgement on the non-existent?

If this is too tough a question, I'll give you the answer! You subvert the system by having the judges vote on the concept beffore it is legally in place and therefore arguable or defensible. Then, you have thwarted the constitutional process...even for Canada. GO, CAnucks! Go CANUCKS! GO!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-15-2004, 02:30 PM   #105
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Nurv,

How do you render a judgement on the non-existent?
I don't know.... but I can tell you how laws are challenged according to the Charter (IIRC).

A law exists, say, on marriage.

People exist, and some may feel said law discriminates against them.

According to the spirit and law of the Charter, discrimination is wrong.

The people challenge the law, and the Supreme court makes a ruling based on the Charter.

Provinces change the offending law to reflect the ruling, and thus the Charter, more accurately.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #106
inked
Elf Lord

Yes. That is the process I envisioned. But that is not what the uproar in Canada is reporting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Court has apparently ruled an opinion on a non-existent law which has not been voted on by the legislature!

*suspicious glance to the side* Say, you DID read the posted article, didn't you?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:15 PM   #107
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I read the article.

*commits seppuku*

EDIT: I think I made one mistake earlier saying marriage laws were provincial. I think it's actually federal.

Incidentally, the article you posted seems very one-sided. I'm starting to get suspicious about your articles...
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 12-15-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:52 PM   #108
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv,

My articles one-sided?

Just because I learned of it from the protests against the subversion of the Canadian process for legislation is not an idication of sidedness; it's only how I became aware that there was *ahem* ANOTHER point of view in Canada than yours *smiles benignly and looks about absently* .
Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #109
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Well, I just thought a quote from Anglican Archbishop (IIRC) Michael Ingham (of Vancouver) would have been appropriate along with Archbishop Raymond Roussin's quote (which was in the article).

I suppose since it was about the anti-gay-marriage movement it wouldn't contain a lot of the pro-gay-marriage activists... so you're off the hook this time. *suspicious eye squinting*
Quote:
Old 12-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #110
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Marriage makes you happy, or at least that's how this article interprets it:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6718282/

I wonder if it isn't that men who are happy are more attractive in some way, or if men who are happy stay married. For isn't it logical to ask, why would someone happy get a divorce?

(It seems odd to me that gay marriage is being discussed on two different threads. Shouldn't this one be for people considering the pros and cons of marriage?)
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:16 PM   #111
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Good idea Elfhelm, I was getting confused there.
Quote:
Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #112
inked
Elf Lord

Marriage is indeed a potential source for happiness. But to make marriage the source of one's happiness is to put the cart before the horse. Happiness is the RESULT of the committment to become a society of two with specific goals. The BOCP spells it out in the marriage service, NURV:
forsaking all others
mutual support
for better, for worse
in sickness, in health
for the bearing of children
... it is the accomplishments of these (and other) goals that yields happiness OVER TIME, not INSTANTANEOUSLY as is rashly presumed.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:59 PM   #113
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Why was that directed at me? I know how it goes.
Quote:
Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 PM   #114
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

So, inked, you are saying that people who can't have children shouldn't get married?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #115
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv, that was just for funzies!!!

Elfhelm, I already answered that one at the beginning of this thread !!!

NOW, since Ihave assiduously avoided religious references until the one immediately above, I suppose (having taken holiday from the GLBT thread), I could undertake to discuss marriage from that perspective, if anyone so desires!
Old 12-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #116
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

In what way did you answer that question, inked? As I read your replies, it SEEMS you think marriage is only for having children. I don't specifically see that you also say that people who can't have babies should not get married.

Despite not being able to have children because of physical problems, my aunt married my uncle and they lived full and happy lives. They were extremely involved in the church. They would NEVER have "consummated" anything without being married! It was unthinkable in Boston in the 40s! So, in fact, their marriage was permission to have sex.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:40 PM   #117
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
So, inked, you are saying that people who can't have children shouldn't get married?
#56 in this thread, Elfhelm, but since the authority is so *ahem* eminent, I shall quote myself *blushes shyly (NOT)*

Now to address the lack of reproduction brought up by someone (sorry I can't recall whom). The accident of failure to reproduce in a given marriage does not negate that the purpose of marriage is ensure the procreation of babies. It is an intention of marriage not fulfilled due to a multitude of possible causes. It actually affects about 10% of couples choosing to attempt conception. That components absence does not invalidate the other purposes of marriage in social terms. We have high tech modes of attempting correction, but check out history for alternative modes (surrogate children, surrogate parenting, adoption, etc). In today's world, some couples elect not to have children but still have the marriage. So marriage is more than simple provision for children in the begetting or rearing.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:46 PM   #118
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

how 'bout those who choose to stay together, happy and content, have children, but never get married?

maybe the best solution of the whole lot
Old 12-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #119
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I believe thats called "living in sin".

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:03 PM   #120
inked
Elf Lord

yes, brownjenkins,

THAT IS WHY we have palimony, paternity testing, child-support laws, and family courts cuz whether YOU do the paper or not, YOU DO THE CRIME - YOU DO THE TIME!

Sure solved that one didn't you !