Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-13-2006, 03:14 PM   #101
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

OH, I see where you're coming from RTB. You don't have to kill someone at the site, the object could have been "borrowed" and placed back. Interesting.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #102
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Could a dementor suck a piece of the soul from a horcrux?
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #103
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

good question.....IMO, no. They suck the soul from living things and nothing in six books says otherwise.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #104
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I agree. It seems highly unlikely it would happen. I wonder if the soul can be taken out of the horcrux without destroying it, and it seems it can't be. Do you think Voldemort could take the parts of his soul back to his body?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #105
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yes I think so. Remember it is his decision that splits the soul and he puts it into these items therefore, IMO, he would be able to bring them back into the whole. After all, the idea is that if he is 'killed' he can still live by retrieving that part of his soul that wasn't killed; i.e. the part in a horcrux.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:57 AM   #106
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
good question.....IMO, no. They suck the soul from living things and nothing in six books says otherwise.
Could a dementor choose whether to suck Nagini's soul out or Voldermort's soul out of Nagini's body.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #107
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Wow, I never thought about a dementor sucking a soul out of a horcrux. Interesting thought...

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:45 PM   #108
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

i don't know...they feed on happiness, and then end up taking the soul...happiness is a warm gun, so a warm medallion? [beatles, that] also, suck from where? no mouth...
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #109
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Snakes have mouths.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #110
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

and what of the others?
----------------
Old 04-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #111
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

well lockets arent very big so maybe they could swallow it whole and the er..stomach acid would break down the locket and then they'd have the fillet of sole (soul)
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #112
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

right...well...a bit on the far-stretch side, eh?
----------------
Old 04-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #113
tomstheman
Enting

This maybe be a stupid question, but if RAB did steal the locket, why didn't Voldemorte try and get it back when he killed him or at least check on the fake horcrux, and maybe when there was a real horcrux there Voldemorte didn't have the poison in the basin. Maybe he only put the poison there when he couldn't get the real horcrux back that way the victim would be there and Voldemorte could torture the person to find out how they found out about the horcruxes any way. Also I thik it would ahve been possible for one person to do it. i mean Dumbledore did cast fire after drinking the water which scared off the inferie(sp) i mean suer it would ahve been tough but I'm sure dombledore would have been able to do it if he had been younger, becuase it is repeatedly stated that dumbledore wasn't the wizard he used to be becuase of old age, even he admits it right before he dies. Sorry for rambling just my own personal musings.

Another thing I just realized, if Dumbledore wasn't dead why did he have a picture in his office. Not that I'm happy he's dead, but at least now harry can stop hiding behind him and relying on Dumbledore to get him out of situations.
Why is the latin word for fear of long words Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Yes it is i checked online.

Remember Remember the fifth of November

Last edited by tomstheman : 04-22-2006 at 10:29 PM.
tomstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:55 PM   #114
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstheman
This maybe be a stupid question, but if RAB did steal the locket, why didn't Voldemorte try and get it back when he killed him
Because he didn't know the horcrux was stolen?
Quote:
or at least check on the fake horcrux, and maybe when there was a real horcrux there Voldemorte didn't have the poison in the basin. Maybe he only put the poison there when he couldn't get the real horcrux back that way the victim would be there and Voldemorte could torture the person to find out how they found out about the horcruxes any way.
What? Sorry, I'm sort of confused...

Quote:
Also I thik it would ahve been possible for one person to do it. i mean Dumbledore did cast fire after drinking the water which scared off the inferie(sp) i mean suer it would ahve been tough but I'm sure dombledore would have been able to do it if he had been younger, becuase it is repeatedly stated that dumbledore wasn't the wizard he used to be becuase of old age, even he admits it right before he dies. Sorry for rambling just my own personal musings.
First of all.. Dumbledore was still one of the best wizards even in his old age.. not many wizards are in his level.

Anyway, Dumbledore couldn't drink the potion alone after... not many glasses or it. Hard to believe Dumbledore could do it alone when he was younger, because I just can't see how he could make himself keep drinking.

Quote:
Another thing I just realized, if Dumbledore wasn't dead why did he have a picture in his office. Not that I'm happy he's dead, but at least now harry can stop hiding behind him and relying on Dumbledore to get him out of situations.
I don't think the picture in the office proves anything, unless it gets there automatically when a Headmaster dies.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #115
tomstheman
Enting

Sorry those were my musings. Just wanted some other opinions on my thoughts thanks
Why is the latin word for fear of long words Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia? Yes it is i checked online.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #116
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Sorry those were my musings. Just wanted some other opinions on my thoughts thanks
It's ok... just saying my thoughts on your speculations. I disagree with most.. but maybe you'll be right in the end.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #117
tomstheman
Enting

i don't know i guess we'll all just have to wait and see, I mean there are alot of theories out there and it'll be interesting to see what JK has up her sleeve since you know she can basically do what ever she wants since she is creating a whole new world. like i said before she could turn RAB into someone we've never heard of before i mean look what she did with Slughorne i mean he was never mentioned in the earlier books and she completely developed a fairly influential character in only one book. i can't wait for the seventh and it better be huge or i'm gonna be pissed.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #118
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
i don't know i guess we'll all just have to wait and see, I mean there are alot of theories out there and it'll be interesting to see what JK has up her sleeve since you know she can basically do what ever she wants since she is creating a whole new world. like i said before she could turn RAB into someone we've never heard of before i mean look what she did with Slughorne i mean he was never mentioned in the earlier books and she completely developed a fairly influential character in only one book. i can't wait for the seventh and it better be huge or i'm gonna be pissed.
You're gonna be pissed.

It seems like she makes up at least one whole new character in every book she wrote, usually a new teacher (it used to be the Defence against Dark Arts, last book potions). She'll surely introduce a new character... and a lot more information... it's probably unpredictable because of that.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #119
E, LoR
Elven Warrior

I can't wait!!! I'm so excited. do we know the US release date yet?

(ruleeeee.. )

Special

Let's pant the world in magic in 90 seconds!

THATS RIGHT FOLK! E, LoR's BACK!
E, LoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #120
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

about the locket at grimmald place. if the locket was gold, then don't you think that jkr would've mentioned it then, because, after all, if all the other pieces there were silver, then a gold locket would stand out to anyone.

Last edited by jammi567 : 05-21-2006 at 12:23 PM.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote