Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2002, 01:06 AM   #101
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I collect beach glass - you know, the glass that's been buffed and smoothed by rocks and the tide. I have so many colours, even bright red and yellow!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)

Last edited by Shadowfax : 08-30-2002 at 01:08 AM.
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:41 PM   #102
Celandine
Elven Warrior

Anything that might be worth money someday.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 10:44 AM   #103
Elbereth
Elven Warrior

I collect LotR cards, too, I tried to play the game once, failed, and made up my own. Swords and knives sound interesting, Eruviel Greenleaf. What sort of swords and knives do you have?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I guess you don't like "Dragontales"! It's pretty bad!
talk about it!

'Fate goes ever as fate must.' Beowulf (Seamus Haney's translation)

FRODO LIVES!!!
Elbereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 05:06 PM   #104
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Elbereth
I collect LotR cards, too, I tried to play the game once, failed, and made up my own. Swords and knives sound interesting, Eruviel Greenleaf. What sort of swords and knives do you have?
Visit "The Long Awaited Sword Thread"

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:34 PM   #105
Masderanoe
Enting

I don't like to cllect things everything i have has a use.

Smiley people are happy when they make smileys.
Masderanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 07:31 PM   #106
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

My collections have uses, Masderanoe. I collect contemporary art which makes my home a pleasure to be in, and I also collect old cookbooks (mostly from the '30s and before) which are fun to cook from as well as filled with insight into how people once lived and celebrated.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 11:20 PM   #107
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I know I am probably late but Welcome to the entmoot Hasty ent. Big hugs.
We are all weird Tolkien lovers but you'll get use to us. (Or become one of us.)
Old 09-07-2002, 02:20 PM   #108
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hasty Ent, I have a large cookbook collection too. I just got one today, called "The Fireside Cook Book" from 1949. It is beautiful, and in mint condition. I am so happy as it cost 25 cents! My favorites are the grill and bar-b-que ones from the 50's, with lots of pix of people in their bar-b-que togs being festive, So funny and cute. I wish I had some nice area in my kitchen to put the cookbook collection, as it's trying to take over the book shelves. Yes, Welcome!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:33 PM   #109
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Hello Lizra,

I understand about the 'taking over' -- but it seems that is the nature of collections -- they take over space. My cookbooks are stacked in the kitchen, since I only have about 25. The real problem is with the 100s of other books -- stacked on every surface. Remember the skit in Monty Python 'putting things on top of other things'? I've become quite expert...

But all collections, whether beach glass or books, enrich a life in my opinion. You just have to be careful where you sit! (small price to pay)
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:29 AM   #110
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I wish I could cook in the first place. I remember the last time I tried to make cake..... *shudders*

Yes, collection do seem to have this growth quality. Stacking is becoming one of my better skills... *eyes dangerously groaning, heavily stacked with books and figurines bookcase*
Old 09-08-2002, 10:30 AM   #111
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I wish I could cook in the first place. I remember the last time I tried to make cake..... *shudders*

Yes, collection do seem to have this growth quality. Stacking is becoming one of my better skills... *eyes dangerously groaning, heavily stacked with books and figurines bookcase*
My family has a bunch of cookbooks. And I tried to cook once.
It was a disaster. Enough said.
Old 09-08-2002, 12:32 PM   #112
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I collect memories, if that counts.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 01:46 PM   #113
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Right now I'm trying to collect old PC adventure games such as Discworld and Obsidian. I have an extensive perennial collection, mostly dwarf plants, since I have such a small garden. I also like gardening books, mystery books and, of course, Tolkien's books.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:09 PM   #114
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I don't collect anything special... I guess I collect money . I do collect coins from the world... I have from England, France, Holland, Thailand, Norway, Spain, Israel and Hungary. If I'll remind more I will post..
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #115
entss89
lord of the ents

hi

i collect 3d puzzles!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 12:55 PM   #116
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I collect a few things, like pieces of broken technology(someday i hope to build something with it all), stones, rubbers, weaponry (well im starting to,) quotes, history books, and my most significant is newspaper cuttings from major world events, or technological breakthroughs , etc. That's the one i do best really. A strange thing to collect but eh...

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:17 PM   #117
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I collect things that are rare, specifically 80's new wave music files and hard to find comic books, short-lived coins, etc.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:17 AM   #118
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I've got lots of 80's new wave music albums. I'm gonna have to drag those out sometime. What are some of your fave artists Arathorn?

Elmaster, we have a whole room full of broken (or useless) technolgy! (I don't like it!) How do you store your newspaper clippings? They seem to age (yellow) so quickly

Sicirus, You have to try more than once! Of course the first time was a disaster, it's supposed to be, cooking is a lot of trial and error. It helps if you are feeding a new husband (or boyfriend) who is so ga-ga over you he'll eat and compliment anything!

Elvet, my old gardening books are competing with my cookbooks. How many do you have? (I'll count mine!)
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:32 AM   #119
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Oh Lizra...

Well, there's New Order, The Cure, Tears for Fears, The Lotus Eaters, Modern English, The Smiths, The Housemartins, The Care, Fra Lippo Lippi, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Lightning Seeds, Nik Kershaw, Xmal Deutschland, Devo, Soft Cell, General Public, Peter Schilling, Industry, Siouxie and the Banshees, OMD, China Crisis, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, Big Country, Colorfield, Psychedelic Furs and a lot more... (whew)

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 09-10-2002 at 11:35 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:00 PM   #120
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Lizra, i don't really have any amazing way of storing them. Some of the old ones have gone a bit yelloow. I was told you can treat them with something so they sstay white, but i never found out about it. Maybe i should now since i have quite a lot. And for the broken technology it's all small stuff from old computers, little keyrings that had a sound playing, and various dead toys like tamagotchis and old joystick bits. Random things which i WILL someday make something with.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote