Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #101
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Well, that bloke looks too young, so I reckon it must've been Yngvar. The photos did have that "taken in my 70s heyday" feel about them.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
AHH!! DAMN!!! *shudder* TAKE IT AWAY!!! AHHHHH!!!!

Gaffer, how long until the nightmares stopped? *shudder*
Well, eventually I just learned to accept my fate and have put photos of him above the bed and under my pillow in case I have any problems in the trouser department.

I should point out that apart from that, and the insane licensing laws, Norway was tremendous.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:57 PM   #102
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I think the UFO's invaded this thread as well
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:34 PM   #103
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Cows rampage in Norway

Has the mad cow disease come to Norway, or are the cows just pissed off?

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...ticleID=353179

Quote:
In a bizarre series of incidents, two farmers in different parts of the country were hospitalized after being attacked by cows. Elsewhere, four men narrowly missed having their car crushed by a crash-landing cow.

Friday saw the first attack in the odd cow crime wave. Stian Skoglund, 23, was bashed and trampled by a furious cud-chewer. Stian was helping his girlfriend with her summer job on a farm in Belta in Ã…snes when the attack occurred.

"The cow attacked me. I was going to scare up the cows at about four in the afternoon and chase them over to where they are milked twice a day," Stian recalled.

As he approached he noticed that one of them was uneasy. He made eye contact with the animal and tried to calm it. Instead, the beast became provoked and charged.

"The cow butted me and I fell," Stian said. He got up and tried to escape but the cow again knocked him to the ground before it began to hop and trample him. The cow shattered one of his legs just four centimeters below the knee. Skoglund also suffered several broken ribs, cuts and bruises. The attack finally stopped when he played dead.

Now he wonders if the attack might have been connected to a job he did a few days earlier when he drove away the body of a calf that had died on the farm.

"Maybe it was her motherly instincts being aroused. I have also heard that I shouldn't have made eye contact with her, that only provokes them," Skoglund said.

A 45-year-old farmer in Nordby, Raelingen was hospitalized Tuesday in stable condition after an encounter with a cow he found leaving Jahr farm. The animal first charged his wife. After waving his arms to distract the animal, the farmer found himself being knocked to the ground.

"The cow went berserk and couldn't be stopped. The farmer was thrown into the air and landed injured on the ground," a witness said.

While terrified witnesses tried in vain to calm the rampant cow others contacted authorities who sent an ambulance and a medical helicopter. A veterinarian was also summoned. He tranquilized the animal and a decision about it future is likely today.

The attack at Jahr farm comes a year after a nearby farmer was trampled to death by several bulls.

A flying - and landing - cow accounted for a close encounter with death on road E39 near Rogaland on Monday night.

Four men traveling in a car saw only a large shadow in the sky before a massive impact shook the ground. Driver Olav Kjeldstad managed to avoid hitting the object, looked behind him and saw a cow in the road.

Police deduced that the cow must have fallen from a ten-meter high cliff overhanging the road. The animal only managed a few moos before dying of its injuries.

"I was pretty shaken afterwards but I have to admit we had a laugh as well. The whole thing was tragicomic," Kjeldstad said.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 05:56 PM   #104
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

The cows are coming! Rebellion!
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 AM   #105
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Dúnedain, how do you dig up these articles? I read Aftenposten every day but I cannot recall having read this.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:49 PM   #106
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Norway? More like Snoreway!
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/29/

Lol.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #107
Artanis

OMG!

Old 02-18-2004, 01:19 PM   #108
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Re: Surreal Norway experience

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
....What I wasn't prepared for was the six giant (thrice life-size, full-length) photographs of said entertainer, captured in various on-stage comedy poses and facial girns, which were mounted on the pitched ceiling above the bed on both sides. No matter where you were in the room, his massive visage was there, leering at you like Big Brother in some surrealist dystopia.
What a nightmare! Ugh! I think I would have left; hang the expense!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #109
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Norway? More like Snoreway!
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/29/
Haha, I've seen that little film before .
I just found a region on NationStates.net which is named Lions and Tigers of Kenya . Click the link, they mention Norway
Attached Images
File Type: gif snoreway.gif (9.0 KB, 25 views)
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:59 PM   #110
BeardofPants
the Shrike

LMAO - man that clip is the cutest thing ever. *Goes off on a 'mission' to make everyone clicky linky*
Old 02-18-2004, 06:24 PM   #111
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...ho ho ho....
Old 02-19-2004, 12:08 PM   #112
Jonathan

Soldiers amused themselves killing dogs

Quote:
Norwegian soldiers in Kosovo filmed each other while they amused themselves by using dogs as live targets.

(TV 2 Nettavisen)The film containing these incidents is currently circulating among Norwegian Kosovo veterans, according to the Norwegian paper VG. The video has shocked both the Norwegian military leadership and animal rights activists.

According to the paper, the soldiers on the video are amusing themselves shooting dogs in full view of children.

In one shot, two armed Norwegian soldiers are standing about one meter from a tied up dog which is wagging its tail, barking happily.

Without any apparent reason, one of the soldiers shots and kills the dog. The soldiers smile and laugh.

«The shooting of the dogs was not authorized and should not have occurred» said Steinar Hannestad, head of Situasjonssenteret at the Ministry of Defense, to the paper.

Hannestad was battalion commander for Norwegian forces in Kosovo in 2000.

Stray dogs have allegedly been a problem in Kosovo, and in that connection there have been organized hunts, but Hannestad said it is hardly that which is depictured on the video.

Beate Midttun, assisting spokesperson at Forsvarsstaben, said the incidents on the tape will be investigated.
This is sad . Needless to say, I find it pretty disturbing and was wondering what the hell is going on in Kosovo, jeez...
Falagar, please explain
^ these comments are almost identical to the ones that Dúnedain and Falagar posted in the What's up with Sweden? thread

There is a video at http://www.vg.no/video. It's the video named "Sjokkvideo med norske soldater i Kosovo", second video from the top. In it you can see dogs happily wagging their tails as if they wanted to play with the soldiers before the soldiers shoot them
A soldier in the video says "Good, damned good shot" after a dog has been killed, sounding like he's in high spirits.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-19-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:17 PM   #113
Ruinel
Banned

Very very distrubing... to say the least. I'm truely upset. I hope these soldiers are court martialed!

One of the dogs was at his dog house at his own house. Wagging his tail. And then "pow!" shot dead.

I'd beat the tar out of anyone who shot my Buster.

Last edited by Ruinel : 02-19-2004 at 12:18 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:06 PM   #114
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Soldiers amused themselves killing dogs

This is sad . Needless to say, I find it pretty disturbing and was wondering what the hell is going on in Kosovo, jeez...
Falagar, please explain
^ these comments are almost identical to the ones that Dúnedain and Falagar posted in the What's up with Sweden? thread

There is a video at http://www.vg.no/video. It's the video named "Sjokkvideo med norske soldater i Kosovo", second video from the top. In it you can see dogs happily wagging their tails as if they wanted to play with the soldiers before the soldiers shoot them
A soldier in the video says "Good, damned good shot" after a dog has been killed, sounding like he's in high spirits.
They were supposed to shoot dogs with rabies, and it got a bit out of hand. And of course we could do a deeper psycological analyzis of these soldier's mental health...

Explanation: There are sick people in this world.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:08 AM   #115
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I hope these soldiers are court martialed!
They weren't. The Ministary of Defence appointed a commission that concluded no rules were broken when the soldiers shot the dogs. The civilian population had asked the soldiers to help them put down the dogs and apparently they did so appropriately. Though recording it and adding music to the video was disturbing to say the least.

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=227473
Old 08-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #116
Jonathan

Munch's 'The Scream' stolen

http://www.iht.com/articles/535124.html

It's all over the news here - two of Edvard Munch's paintings have been stolen from Oslo's Munch museum. The paintings are no others than 'Madonna' and one of four versions of the world famous 'The Scream'.

Ten years ago, thieves managed to steal a version of 'The Scream' and they demanded a ransom. The police managed to get the painting back within a few months though. Hope the police can manage to get the painting back this time as well.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #117
Artanis

I hope the paintings will come back too - it would be a terrible loss for us otherwise. I expect the thieves to go for a ransom this time also, I don't see how they'll manage to sell paintings like that. There's no market for stolen paintings in Norway, and it'll be extremely difficult for the burglars to smuggle them out of the country.

Those paintings are a part of our national heritage - I feel attacked and hurt by this theft.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #118
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I was very sorry to hear about this. Hope they get them back soon
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #119
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i too do hope the paintings will be found and returned to the museum. i heard that there were no alarm-systems around these paintings, that it was rather easy for the thieves to take them. is that true? (not trying to blame anyone else but the thieves here, just wondering)

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:09 PM   #120
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Jeez, fool me once, shame on you Fool me twice, shame on me.
It would seem no lesson was learned all those many years ago.