Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #101
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

at leats there aren't any absolute moarchs left in europe now i think...
king harald of norway has had another heart operation
Old 04-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #102
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Doesn't Denmark have a Queen? Und how about Sweden, ja. Then there's the French who think they are god.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:29 PM   #103
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

For us over here, if they have the title and wear the regalia, they qualify.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #104
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What's an absolute monarch? One who's the head of state? (In that case I'm not sure if Sweden's king and queen fall into that category...)

Incidentally, sorry for being such an asshat when I first jumped in the thread. Maybe I should go off and edit that post.

Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 04-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #105
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

absolute monarch - autocratical ruler ie: with real power

current european monarchies
united kingdom
spain
monaco
norway
sweden
denmark
belgium
netherlands
luxembourg
liechtenstein
i think that's it
Old 04-11-2005, 04:11 PM   #106
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Meh. I can't say I like the whole thing.

Thank God I don't live in England .
Old 04-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #107
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Meh. I can't say I like the whole thing.

Thank God I don't live in England .
hey - that's why we fought a Revolution. We melted King George III into musket balls.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #108
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

we have but one choice, get rid of the royal family, if some other commonwealth nation wnats to keep 'em, they can have 'em, hey nurvi, how bout it, give the royals to you canadians, eh?
Old 04-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #109
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hm... okay, we'll take them off your hands. But we're not funding any elaborate living quarters. Plus, the monarch remains our nominal head of state. She doesn't get to keep the extra monarch powers.

But then what would Adrienne Clarkson do? Maybe we should just make her the head of state and cut the monarch right out of the picture. Besides, a lot of British people would be sad if they left (and I doubt they would want to). For all the controversy (or maybe partly because of it) the Royal Family is a cultural icon.

It's a tiny bit like that in Sweden. There's a show called "Kunglivet" that appears to be a light-hearted send up of the Swedish Royal Family.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 04-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #110
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i believe monarchical and aristocratic systems should have been left behind when we entered the modern world, the only monarch i do want to see restored to power is the Dalai Lama, and that is because he is a spiritual monarch, not a constitutional or political monarch

we can't even have a proper head of state cos of that stupid system which only serves to undermine the working class, (bloody peasant) oi that's oppression that is! come and see the violence inherent in the system
Old 04-11-2005, 04:48 PM   #111
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

There you go, bringing class into it again.
Well that's what it's all about! If only people would listen-
Please, please good people. I am in haste.
Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Okay now this is a little OT, but... isn't the Queen your head of state? (Shall we wander over to UK Politics?)
Quote:
Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #112
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
hey - that's why we fought a Revolution. We melted King George III into musket balls.

is this a claim to fame (or history?) or just a mel Brook's style recognition of it being a MAD MAD WORLD?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #113
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
is this a claim to fame (or history?) or just a mel Brook's style recognition of it being a MAD MAD WORLD?
The declaration of Independence states all the grievances we had against the king., After the Declaration was signed and read - a mob took to the streets in NY and tore down the statue of King George III. It was then melted down into musket balls.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #114
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Interesting perspective: it's all a load of trivialised pish so it's the republicans' fault??

It's all the pro-Royalist propaganda (from Stephen Fry's nauseating brown-nosery on Parkinson to the News of the Screws latest snaps of Prince Williams' girlfriend's pants) that is relentlessly trivialising.
ETA: The republicans are to blame for the weakness of their own arguments, but monarchists have to share responsibility for the general uselessness of the debate. I find the royal gossip industry nauseating, because that too is an inability to look beyond personalities to ideas.

Quote:
We know that most people want to keep the monarchy, we have to put up with this crap constantly, so please, at least let us take the piss out of them.
Sure, but it makes you all look idiotic. It was you who said a few pages ago that a republic is a more 'grown-up' system of government - you don't think that the best way to prove that might be to act, you know, grown-up?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 04-12-2005 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Look at the bit which says 'ETA'...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:21 PM   #115
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
The declaration of Independence states all the grievances we had against the king., After the Declaration was signed and read - a mob took to the streets in NY and tore down the statue of King George III. It was then melted down into musket balls.
wELL, what about all the greiviences we had against he Mad F?

Sun Star -
Quote:
Sure, but it makes you all look idiotic. It was you who said a few pages ago that a republic is a more 'grown-up' system of government - you don't think that the best way to prove that might be to act, you know, grown-up?

forgive my total (current) lack of understanding - i m currently the worsre for wear - are you saying that we should support the Monarchy?

I don't beleive i actually expressed a preference: but did indulge my freedom and rights as a free man to have fun and humourous ( at least to me) banter with LCOU: this was more to do with comedy genius of the 20 & 21st Century UK style than any serious debate on Monarchy!

Please advise me: are you saying freedom of sense of humour is not allowed by your creed or stipulation? - or whatever - or are you saying that we should be serfs before people of free-will? i.e pre- black-death times? Correct me if im wrong but have i stated a position ,other than in humour, on the Monarchy? Then, no offence, but please clarify: why do you appear to be caling us Stupid? Or have i got that the wrong way round? - it's frankly quite possible- as i say, im not entirely sure which wayto take what you say?
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #116
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i think if you consort with me you must be fiercely republican, and be a centrist social democrat, supporting the LCA
Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 PM   #117
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i think if you consort with me you must be fiercely republican, and be a centrist social democrat, supporting the LCA

Right that does it: i'm far too Pi***d to think about anyof this!
Far too complicated for my current state of mind - the minute you realaize from personal perspective jsthow fast the world actually spins - its time to curtaIL ANY ATTENPTS AT RATIONAL THOUGHT -* press caps lock - oops*

by the way Sun Star - this does #NOT represent (!)the relative quality of any particular argument you may have reffered to earlier! - call it just a temprary vague justification!

best BB
Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 PM   #118
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Sun Star -

forgive my total (current) lack of understanding - i m currently the worsre for wear - are you saying that we should support the Monarchy?

I don't beleive i actually expressed a preference: but did indulge my freedom and rights as a free man to have fun and humourous ( at least to me) banter with LCOU: this was more to do with comedy genius of the 20 & 21st Century UK style than any serious debate on Monarchy!

Please advise me: are you saying freedom of sense of humour is not allowed by your creed or stipulation? - or whatever - or are you saying that we should be serfs before people of free-will? i.e pre- black-death times? Correct me if im wrong but have i stated a position ,other than in humour, on the Monarchy? Then, no offence, but please clarify: why do you appear to be caling us Stupid? Or have i got that the wrong way round? - it's frankly quite possible- as i say, im not entirely sure which wayto take what you say?
I couldn't care less whether you support the monarchy or not - it's up to you. As I said before, my comments weren't directed at anyone here. However, considering that monarchy vs. republic is an interesting, important, exciting discussion to have, I can't understand why anyone (republicans or monarchists, in the media or online) prefers to make repetitive jokes and snide remarks rather than have an informed and practical discussion. I also find bashing the royal family for their appearance childish, but that's just me - I have a different sense of humour. I won't restrict yours.

Here's a possible example of a mature response to the issue of Charles and Camilla getting married:
"Well, I don't like either of them (though of course I don't know them personally and can't really judge), but surely the more important issue is whether we should have a monarchy at all / whether it's appropriate for the monarch to be Supreme Governer of the Church of England / whether succession should pass directly to the eldest son of the monarch regardless of his suitability for the job".
Personally, I prefer that to "Let's have a republic because Prince Charles has big ears and Camilla looks like a horse".

I don't care what anyone thinks about the monarchy. I don't really even care if we don't have a monarchy. I care about the way people - any people - say what they think, because it's an insult to our collective intelligence to conduct national debate in this way.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #119
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Right that does it: i'm far too Pi***d to think about anyof this!
Far too complicated for my current state of mind - the minute you realaize from personal perspective jsthow fast the world actually spins - its time to curtaIL ANY ATTENPTS AT RATIONAL THOUGHT -* press caps lock - oops*

by the way Sun Star - this does #NOT represent (!)the relative quality of any particular argument you may have reffered to earlier! - call it just a temprary vague justification!

best BB
I'm half-asleep, you're half-drunk - now this is what I mean by grown-up debate!
Old 04-11-2005, 06:44 PM   #120
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun star
However, considering that monarchy vs. republic is an interesting, important, exciting discussion to have
it would be an interesting serious discussion at some point in time, however I created this thread merely to look at the wedding of chas and millie, and hopefully get some humorous response, and it has evolved further
Closed Thread