Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-17-2004, 11:54 PM   #101
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Rad - just my own view of people's perceptions and the way standards are not always applied consistently. (EDIT: in other words, a 'double-standard')

On the gymnastics... I was actually the one who joked with Tessar when he mentioned that he liked it - but that was more just to carry on the running joke that's always been going with him (her? ), than to express my true opinion. It DOES indeed look difficult. But you touch on the MAIN reason I don't regard it as highly as other Olympic events... the subjectivity of the scoring. Maybe those who are well-versed in it can understand the scoring intricacies better than the rest of us, but to me it's always been too mysterious. More of those inconsistently applied standards...??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 08-18-2004 at 07:23 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:29 AM   #102
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Rad - just my own view of people's perceptions and the way standards are not always applied consistently.

On the gymnastics... I was actually the one who joked with Tessar when he mentioned that he liked it - but that was more just to carry on the running joke that's always been going with him (her? ), than to express my true opinion. It DOES indeed look difficult. But you touch on the MAIN reason I don't regard it as highly as other Olympic events... the subjectivity of the scoring. Maybe those who are well-versed in it can understand the scoring intricacies better than the rest of us, but to me it's always been too mysterious. More of those inconsistently applied standards...??

Well, an olympic sport is anything the IOC says it is, and whether you regard it as higher or lower than, say the sprinting, doesn't really matter.
The chinese are switched on to this fact, as they realise they are not all that competative in the Track events, they focus on Gymnastics among others. And Gold is Gold, be it through the 100 meter sprint, or through the womens floor routine gymnastics. Hence the chinese are kicking the crap out of everyone right now, the USA included, with most medals in diving and gymnastics.

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 08-18-2004 at 01:31 AM.
Fenir_LacDanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 AM   #103
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
I saw the gymnastics today too. The women teams - too bad for the US, got silver medal again. The Romanian won second time in a row, which is quite surpring I think... they had a total new team from 4 years ago. I though the judges were very harsh there, comparing to the men's team last night, where many got a 9.7 and some even 9.8, while today the most I've seen is 9.75, and it seemed like the usual was more like 9.3. I thought the Americans deserved more, I don't know... I was very surprised with the judges' decisions.
I don't think it is surprising that the Romanians won the gold again - they have always been strong in gymnastics. They delivered high quality performances all the way without any big errors, and deserved their gold medal. Again, the very last performance was also the best imo, the Romanian gymnast Catalina Ponor in floor exercise. She gave a great performance on the beam too.

I must say I think the men's competition had an overall higher quality than the women's. In that I seem to agree with the judges.

Val has a point, in disciplines where there are judges involved there will be an element of subjectivity. But there are strict rules on how to give scores, in gymnastics at least this has improved a lot since I first started watching it. After all, it is the element of artistery combined with physical excellence which imo make gymnastics such a fascinating watch. Same goes for diving and figure skating.

Did anyone see the Russian woman, Khorkina? When I saw her I thought about anorexia at once. She didn't look at all like an athlete anymore. The funny thing about her was that she was 164cm tall (or short), and she was the tallest of all the girls competing. That says a lot.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 AM   #104
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes, she looks like she's in need of a good dinner. But they're all amazing, these women, especially the beam. It would be a much duller event without these so-called subjective sports. Interestingly, I think controversy arises where the judges follow objective criteria: there was one American woman who did a beautiful floor performance, but got 9.1 because she missed one of the compulsory elements of the routine. That meant she was getting marked out of 9.7 instead of 10. Or something.

Even in the "objective" events, you've got subjective decisions that can turn the match. There were some weird fouls given in that USA/Greece basketball game last night, for example. And a British swimmer got disqualified in the breast stroke because the judges thought he'd done a butterfly kick under the water.

* Raises a glass to Carlos Boozer, the best named competitor yet seen at Athens *
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:24 AM   #105
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenir_LacDanan
Well, an olympic sport is anything the IOC says it is, and whether you regard it as higher or lower than, say the sprinting, doesn't really matter...
Goodness Fenir, I'm not trying to trump the IOC... I was just explaining my viewpoint / opinion on the matter. Is that not OK?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 AM   #106
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Hey I can't wait until the South Africans lay down the pwn in the swimming tonight.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:57 AM   #107
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Lay down the what, Andúril? Btw, South Africa has been doing extremely well in the swimming, congrats!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #108
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Lay down the pwn = Lay down the own = Lay down the ownage = own everyone = beat everyone. "Geek" speak, if you have to know.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:11 AM   #109
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Oh, righto. Thanks. You South Africans celebrating your recent "laying down of the pwn" much?
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #110
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Yeah, well apart from getting pwned in the cricket, we displayed great pwnage against the All Blacks the other day in the Tri-Nations.

And an acquaintance is coming down from Johannesburg at the end of the year for a video shoot involving an illegal touge, on a certain road that I just happen to pwn. That should be available on DVD eventually.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:47 AM   #111
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

That relay swim was amazing....sooo close! I thought for sure that Thorpe would pull away, but he definitley put up a good race and I'm proud of the American team! They deserved it. It'll be exciting to see Phelps vs. Thorpe in the next swim.

Ooo Gymnastics is soo fun to watch! It was a bit dissappointing to see US lose the gold, but they made too many mistakes. Romania was stonger on more events. Is it just me or has the standards for the Olympics been lowered? I seem to remember all the girls being incredible, scoring a lot higher, and making fewer mistakes. I think the scoring was fair, but I kind of dislike how subjective it usually is or has been in the past.

Oh did anyone see that Chinese girl on the uneven bars who almost landed on her head? That was sad to see....

Yes, that Russian woman Korkhina looks extremely thin. It seemed amazing she had the strength to do those routines. And she looks incredibly tall, almost awkward imo, but my friends saw her once when there was a competition here and she really wasn't, just talller than most gymnasts.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:50 AM   #112
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
Ooo Gymnastics is soo fun to watch!
So is women's hockey. Especially short corners.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:54 AM   #113
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Geez did you see the outfits on the womens beach volley ball teams??

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #114
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I particularly enjoy it when they show the close-ups of the partner's hand signals.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM   #115
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Geez did you see the outfits on the womens beach volley ball teams??
Hahaha - hubby loves it when they show closeups of their butts, with the excuse of filming the signs they give.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 AM   #116
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Hahaha - hubby loves it when they show closeups of their butts, with the excuse of filming the signs they give.
What's this about butts? So your hubby doesn't have a hand signal fetish?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #117
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvengirl
Oh did anyone see that Chinese girl on the uneven bars who almost landed on her head? That was sad to see.....
i find myself laughing aloud when some of the gymnasts **** up, i know it sounds sick but in such a perfectionist sport seeing someone "come a croppa" is amusing, if it wasnt so damn dangerous i guess i could laugh without guilt (ahhh if only)
ive watched some of the olympics but for the most part its crap, those small weightlifters were entertaining i guess but theres not a lot...
it may just be me but i would prefer it if there was at least a single pair of breasts to be seen in the beach volleyball, i find it hard to tell the girls from the boys sometimes, that sums up most olympic events though
Old 08-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #118
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
I particularly enjoy it when they show the close-ups of the partner's hand signals.
very nice indeed.

i've heard that these women have to have those XXXXS clothes and can't choose? men have to wear shorts and a vest?
is this true? if it is, it's stupid. (IMO )

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #119
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
i would prefer it if there was at least a single pair of breasts to be seen in the beach volleyball, i find it hard to tell the girls from the boys sometimes
well id be impressed (make that scared/disgusted) if any guy could fit into those threads of fabric they call beach volley ball uniforms. and im guessing huge knockers would be a distinct limiting factor in your ability to play that particular sport. or so Ive been told. same with gymnastics and many other sports. it doesnt pay to be voluptuous Im afraid if you want to be a world class athlete. you lose manuever ability and gain wind resistance.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #120
Valandil

As a teen-ager (LONG ago), I was on a swim team for a couple years. Once overheard some of the girls discussing their developmental concerns. They had heard that exercising and strengthening the underlying chest muscles actually inhibited their... otherwise natural growth. Has anyone else heard something similar?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 08-18-2004 at 12:10 PM.