Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2003, 10:43 PM   #101
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I know what you mean. Some kids are awful! My oldest daughter is mentally handicapped. There were some years, where she had to put up with certain kids, in the mainstream classroom, and on the bus, that were a nightmare! I wanted to scream and cry at the same time. I'm always leery of "new" situations at school, or work for her. You never know what whacko things some people will say. What she hates the most is being ignored though. The few people that go out of their way to be understanding and actually friendly are saints! I figure they must have someone in their family who is "different", and they realize there is no reason to be afraid of "different" people. They are very lonely.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:48 PM   #102
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Not right. I'm not afraid of them at all, but I don't have any in my family. There's no reason I can think of why any one would be afraid of a handicapped person.

EDIT: On second thought, if it was someone was handicapped in such a way that they got violent, I suppose so, but other than that, no.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 10:53 PM   #103
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well good for you! I wish you knew my darling, sweet daughter!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:24 PM   #104
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Men annoy me when they think they can boss me around...
Also, people that fidgit, like they have nothing better to do.
And excessive complainers. Also, all girl birthday parties are annoying too, I recently bought a load of gifts for a friends sister, and all I got was a migrane!
Lady Tinuveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:39 PM   #105
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

I also hate the packages that just wont open, & when my pc freezes...I hate rebooting this machine!!!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:41 PM   #106
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
My sis has prosthetic legs and I absoloutley hate it when people say look at that poor little girl. Really now. Can't they have a little tact? This is incredibly rude. One time this little boy made her life misreable calling her names and if he wasn't like ten I would have hurt him. She's so sweet too.
Oh, I hope they are working out well for her! My middle son (10 yrs old) is missing most of his legs (we don't know why) and prosthetics haven't worked out well for him so far, because he doesn't have a hip joint, either. He gets around very well at school with a wheelchair and also on the ground just using his arms and balancing on his short legs. The kids at school are great with him, but away from home/church/school, we know all about being stared at, believe me!

Please be patient with the littler kids, tho, when they ask questions. If kids ask "what happened to HIM?" I just answer "He was born that way, and his name is xxxx; do you wanna play with him?" ("xxxx" is because I'm a paranoid mom and don't want my kids' names on the Internet!) Then they usually are cool about it. But I can hardly blame them for staring, there aren't many kids like my son around! I just try to explain on their level. But it is VERY tiring getting stared at - I hate it, altho I can understand it.

Sadly, he has been called names, too. Now there is NO excuse for that! Once it happened on a field trip, when we were at a public park, and I saw several of his classmates digging a very deep hole right before we left. When I asked them about the hole, they said that some mean kid had called my son some mean names, and they were digging the hole to trap him in so they could beat him up!! Cute! and I appreciate their defending my son, too! But I did explain that the mean kid's action didn't justify their beating him up (but mentally I was thinking "yeah, go GET him!!")

The worst was what a doctor said to me once - so bad, it was funny! I was at a doctor's office holding my son, who was just under a year old at the time, and this doctor stops and looks at him and said "What happened to HIM?" I was SOOOOO tempted to say "well, dr., I was abducted by aliens when I was pregnant....." and concoct a ridiculous story, but I just decided to give a short truthful answer instead, so he would leave!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 11:43 PM   #107
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

a little annoyance - not being rich enough to fly all the Entmooters to some wonderful place where we could all meet each other and each other's families!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 04-07-2003, 11:46 PM   #108
Lady Tinuveil
Elven Warrior

~

Youve got it exactly right Rian, I would like to meet most of you,
Sorry about your son, although Im sure he's in good sprits.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:47 PM   #109
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Oh, Rian, I didn't realise your son is in a wheelchair. My little annoyances seem very silly now...
You know, I imagine all us 'mooters in a room meeting each other for the first time. It would be funny, because I'd think of people by their nicknames. We would have to wear nametags with our real names and nicknames. I can just imagine saying: Hi Beard of Pants!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:47 PM   #110
Gwaimir Windgem

Yes, that would be nice. Any 'Mooting billionaires?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-08-2003, 01:08 PM   #111
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Meeting other mooters would be nice. That's the only reason why I once in a while wish for living on the other side of the Atlantic ocean . I believe there was a real-life entmoot in 2001, I read something about on the Tolkientrail somewhere and I recall a thread a long time ago about another entmoot but I never heard how that ended. But I suppose we'd need a big hall then. The 'moot has grown quite a bit since.

little annoyance: Mother interfering with my wardrobe. Sheesh!

Sorry to hear about your son, RÃ*an. But with a mother like you he's bound to be all right in the end!
Old 04-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #112
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
a little annoyance - not being rich enough to fly all the Entmooters to some wonderful place where we could all meet each other and each other's families!
*looks gleeful* TinuvielChild and I have recently found out that we live within 30 miles of each other. We haven't met yet, but we are making plans.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:20 PM   #113
Gwaimir Windgem

She lives by Lothlorien?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-08-2003, 04:35 PM   #114
Rían

thanks, guys, for the kind words about my son - he's really a cutie and has a great attitude and we can do all sorts of fun things with him coz his legs don't get in the way! (you ought to see him roll down hills - he's like a little cannonball! You know how most people's legs get tangled up and slow them down - well, his don't!) But I'd give him my legs in a second ...

I'd post a pic but I'm a paranoid mom about Internet stuff

Y'know, I think Sween once said that he was pretty wealthy and didn't even have to work unless he wanted to, or something along those lines... hey Sween, do you want to invite us all over to a baby shower for little Amy Rose?

Old 04-08-2003, 04:39 PM   #115
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
She lives by Lothlorien?
I meant where I live NOW. I got sent by the Valar from Lorien to the US twelve years ago... long story, but I'll PM it to you if you want...
Old 04-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #116
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

I'm sorry to hear about your son.

In my Hebrew school class, and he's got some sort of disease (I'm not sure what it's called). He's in a wheelchair and can't really control his movement, which includes his voice. So sometimes he just makes random noises. Everyone at my synagogue is very fine with him. He also goes to my school, and it's a different story there, unfortunately. He's a really great kid and his dad is one of the nicest people in the world. If only people would stop being stupid.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #117
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
If only people would stop being stupid.
God must love stupid people, he made so many.

I've realised that 'the morning after' really p*sses all over my delicate little battery

Quote:
Yes, that would be nice. Any 'Mooting billionaires?
Ah, no - only a millionaire - sorry hun

Quote:
My middle son (10 yrs old) is missing most of his legs (we don't know why)
Erm RÃ*an - this might sound weird & no disrespect to your son (he sounds like an amazing kid), but I had to re-read that a few times - I kept getting it as he is missing most of his legs (like he's a centapede or summin) and you don't know why (some mystery to be solved by Sherlock Holmes or summin).

Mind you, the condition I'm in, I'm surprised that I could read it at all
Old 04-09-2003, 12:08 PM   #118
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Erm RÃ*an - this might sound weird & no disrespect to your son (he sounds like an amazing kid), but I had to re-read that a few times - I kept getting it as he is missing most of his legs (like he's a centapede or summin) and you don't know why (some mystery to be solved by Sherlock Holmes or summin).
I re-read what I posted a little while ago and I did write it pretty weird! It sounds to me like he had legs for awhile then we woke up one morning and found they were missing, or perhaps we take them off every night and in the morning could only find a little bit of them .... ah, language! But I didn't see the centipede angle, 'tho I see it now! No offense taken, because I've posted with you and I know you don't mean it in a mean way

BTW, we like to joke too (altho too much would be obnoxious, or it would be obnoxious from strangers) - just this morning while we were getting ready for school, my husband kept saying jokingly to him "C'mon, get your shoes on! Hurry up or you'll be late!" (he only wears socks!) He just goes "Dad!!!
I don't have shoes!!!"

Last edited by Rían : 04-09-2003 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:28 PM   #119
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm annoyed right now because my little brother (eight) has unearthed an old tape of my mom's filled with early sixties pop music. *shakes surfing songs from ear*
Old 04-09-2003, 07:42 PM   #120
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I re-read what I posted a little while ago and I did write it pretty weird! It sounds to me like he had legs for awhile then we woke up one morning and found they were missing
I had some trouble with it too. That's pretty much how it sounded to me. I didn't even figure it out until I read further.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle