Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-21-2002, 03:44 PM   #101
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Finally people who won't think I'm mad for speaking out against the trial that is Harry Potter!!!! I've noticed the parallels too!!! When I first read chamber of secrets I had an open mind but as soon as I started I kept thinking "I'm sure I've read this somewhere before!" then I realised what it was and I kept going through it and seeing Tolkien, Lewis, Carroll, Tolkien, Tolkien, Lewis, Carroll etc etc. When I mentioned it at school everyone was like- "NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Potter is the greatest" (I even had someone-who obviously wasn't very bright- saying that she thought PJ and Tolkien (she didn't know Tolkien was the author not the director) had copied Rowling!!!! It gave me great pleasure in informing her how impossible such a notion was. I'm so glad to finally have people who agree with me. Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:29 AM   #102
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I think that there are some very interesting likenesses I dont like Harry Potter any way so ya know, its all good if he falls off the face of the earth
Old 11-30-2002, 03:39 PM   #103
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Rowling had to settle a lawsuit with an obscure American author who wrote a book called "Larry Potter and the Muggles."

Though it seems too close to be a simple coincidence, it's surprisingly easy for fantasy authors to think of the same thing.

When I was in grade nine - long before Harry Potter came out - I wrote a story with a plant called "Devil's Snare" which also appears in Harry Potter. I happen to think it's a great name for a difficult plant! Besides, there's no way Rowling read my story. Similarly, I doubt Rowling read the American author's book either.

Neither of them invented the word "Muggle."
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 06:50 AM   #104
Kallasilya
Hobbit

*SIGH*

I'm really sorry about this peoples, but it just annoys me sooooo much when people compare these two books!!!
GRRRRR!!!! (oh, the annoy-ment!)
They're about as different from each other as.... well..... anything!!! Sure, they're both about magic. But the magic is in VERY different styles....
Sure, there's a ring which makes you invisible and there's a cloak that makes you invisible... but I bet Tolkien wasn't the first guy to think of invisibility, now was he? Then there's Dumbledore and Gandalf... ahahahaha NO!! *cough* sorry But they're just such COMPLETELY different charachters that I have to laugh! After all, they're not the only two powerful wizards in the world of fantasy writing... otherwise you'd have to say that almost every second fantasy book was based on LotR.
And I'm sorry to say it, but the dementors are also very different to the Nazgul. Physically, they are creatures with a body and not just wraiths; less 'spirit-like' and more like real beings.
I'm sure there's many more similarities/differences that I haven't pointed out, but I think I'll stop now *hears sighs of relief from all round*
Sorry if I offended anyone, but as a reader and a lover of both series, I had to point out that they're BOTH GREAT
Old 12-01-2002, 01:25 PM   #105
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Comparing any two books is only fun if they're similar and different. I don't think LOTR and Harry Potter have a lot in common - even less that could be considered plaigerism on the part of Rowling - but you could compare LOTR to Dragonlance or an Arthurian legend with similar success.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-07-2002, 05:20 PM   #106
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Although they have the same types of creatures, they are diferent!
Look at the elved in LotR compared to the ones in HP!
But don't get me wrong. I think J.K Rowling is a copier. I think her books have lots of simaralaritys.(I know I cant spell) to LotR and she just used her idea for a school for kid wizards as a kind of cover-up.

I like the movies though!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 06:39 PM   #107
Nibs
Head Hollara

I wouldn't go so far to say that she copied ideas out of LotR and merely renamed them... you could find similarities between almost anything...

But if the foremost antagonist in the fifth book (or whatever Rowling's on) is named Noruas, I'll agree.

[That's Sauron backwards, mind you]

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 06:48 PM   #108
BeardofPants
the Shrike

One problem: she hadn't read LOTR before writing it. Of course her stories have similarities... as do a lot of stories. You think Tolkien was original by having the bad guys dressed up in black cloaks? Where did HE steal it from then, eh? JK Rowling has just used common themes in her books. A troubled hero, a wizened advisor, an evil baddie, quests, etc. These are not exclusive to Tolkien's LOTR. Furthermore, as other people have REPETITIVELY said, LOTR and HP are two VERY different works. One is a literary masterpiece, the other is a childrens book. End of story.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:05 PM   #109
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
One problem: she hadn't read LOTR before writing it. Of course her stories have similarities... as do a lot of stories.
Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Furthermore, as other people have REPETITIVELY said, LOTR and HP are two VERY different works.[/B]
But people have been wrong before. You are a person, therefore you must be wrong.

Hence the real issue here... people are known to be illogical... I'm a person, therefore I must be illogical.

Did I only accomplish amusing myself there? The only point I think I made is that I'm in a different dimension.

Old 12-07-2002, 10:48 PM   #110
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
But people have been wrong before. You are a person, therefore you must be wrong.

Hence the real issue here... people are known to be illogical... I'm a person, therefore I must be illogical.

Did I only accomplish amusing myself there? The only point I think I made is that I'm in a different dimension.
Nah, misinterpreted pocket-philosophy only make us wish that you were in a different dimension

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:09 PM   #111
Nibs
Head Hollara

People have complimented me before... therefore, that must have been a compliment.

Old 12-07-2002, 11:17 PM   #112
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
People have complimented me before... therefore, that must have been a compliment.

Beatallica
Old 12-07-2002, 11:35 PM   #113
Nibs
Head Hollara

It didn't take but two posts...

Old 12-07-2002, 11:43 PM   #114
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
It didn't take but two posts...
Witty come-back

Beatallica
Old 12-08-2002, 01:41 AM   #115
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Witty come-back
So that's the name of the game, is it? Well, you're far too late. I make fun of myself all the time. Look at my silly avatar! Do I really think like I look like an elf?? I mean, COME ON!

Back to topic, there doesn't seem to be one. Both stories have their merits. Enjoy them both instead of labeling one author a conceptual theif after reading just one of the books (if that).

I may not enjoy J.K. Rowling's work, but I can respect it.

Old 12-08-2002, 01:54 PM   #116
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The Lord of the Rings can be thought of as the basis for all fantasy books, so everyone's copying Tolkien, not just Rowling!

Arguments for similarities between Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings are weak, and based on misunderstanding.

Quote:
Old 01-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #117
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

i put this argument up with my sis. i agree that the dementors were taken from Tolkien, and many Harry Potter fans hit me for that reason...
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 02:37 AM   #118
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There were evil guys dressed in black before Tolkien.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:02 AM   #119
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Look - let's get this straight. Harry Potter is not a rip-off of LOTR; it's a rip-off of Scooby Doo. (Pesky kids)
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 02:53 PM   #120
#1GaMGeeGuRL
Enting

Sam Gamgee

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulažg
You underenstimate the power of the Dark Side...

No really. Tolkien affected a whole lot of stuff in our society, especially the fantasy genre. Some things are going to be similar since Tolkien is one of the foundations that all other fantasy is written on, presumably Harry Potter as well. It doesn't even matter that Rowling may not have read the books. LoR has changed fantasy and so there are going to be some things that will be similar if not identical. Poeple think alike.
In some ways I agree with that statement because Tolkien did make people take the fantasy genre seriously and was the foundation for it. But right off the top of my head I could think of fantasy related themes that don't echo LoTR. I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter anyway but have read the books so my opinion is legitimate.

LONG LIVE THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE WEE SCARVIES!

you'll have to excuse me, i'm not at my best
i've been gone for a month
i've been drunk since i left
there so-called vacations
will soon be my death
i'm so sick from teh drink
i need home for a rest
we arrived in december and london was cold
so we stayed in thebars
along charing cross road
we never saw nothin' but brass taps and oak
kept a shine on the bar