FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2003, 10:38 PM   #101
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Legolas: You're late. (in elvish)

Legolas: You look terrible.
Wow. That is clever; refuting your own arguments...
Old 01-27-2003, 12:29 AM   #102
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Legolas: Your'e late. You look terrible.
Aragorn: Thank you.
Those lines are classic? I expect those kind of lines written by school children, not (apparently) intelligent scriptwriters.
When I was in the theatre, people actually laughed when Brego licked Aragorn...not the reaction you would want from such a dramatic and sorrowful moment.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:32 AM   #103
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I don't claim to be an Elf expert, but acting in such a manner is not something which I would think of the Elves of Middle-Earth doing.
Actually, book-Legolas acted quite cheeky on some occations. Also in dramatic situations, like upon Caradhras.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:51 AM   #104
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Thank you, Artanis. It's nice to know there are some people here who understand Tolkien and his characters.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #105
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I wouldn't have thought it of him, but then again, he IS a Mirkwood Elf, so I suppose so.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:08 PM   #106
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Actually, book-Legolas acted quite cheeky on some occations. Also in dramatic situations, like upon Caradhras.
Yeah, he did. I wish they could have gotten that more into the film, also outside fangorn forest! But aside from that, Ive said this before but I really didnt like the 'your late' line...maybe it was the way it was delivered but it sounded so....cheesy 90's movie line....imo.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 04:34 PM   #107
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel
Yeah, he did. I wish they could have gotten that more into the film, also outside fangorn forest! But aside from that, Ive said this before but I really didnt like the 'your late' line...maybe it was the way it was delivered but it sounded so....cheesy 90's movie line....imo.
~Celebréiel
i didn't like that line because it made him seem like "oh i knew you were going to be ok all along" but the expression on his face after aragorns fall would illustrate otherwise.

Quote:
The spectacular shot of Aragorn on horseback with the mountains in the background as the soundtrack plays Aragorn's Theme.
The classic lines said in the reunion of Aragorn and Legolas.
The shot of Eowyn's reaction to seeing Aragorn alive...followed by her reaction to seeing Legolas give him back the Evenstar.The dramatic shot of Aragorn opening the doors to Theoden's chamber.
... all of which PJ added form his own mind, and "last i checked" PJ was not Tolkien.

Quote:
It's nice to know there are some people here who understand Tolkien and his characters.
sadly your not one of them

damn, you suck.

oh and before i forget, let me add another one of your pointless tactics:
there that way when anyone calls me on my ****, i can say it was in good humour even though im LYING THROUGH MY TEETH.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:36 PM   #108
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oh, Celebréiel, i wish they would have had those lines too! but hey, we got the "you would die before your stroke fell" line, so i guess that would be asking too much.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #109
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
oh, Celebréiel, i wish they would have had those lines too! but hey, we got the "you would die before your stroke fell" line, so i guess that would be asking too much.
yeah, I guess we should be happy with what we got!(that was one of the few scenes they did pretty good! I was impressed) Legolas just comes off as so....blah in the movies. *shrugs*
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:45 AM   #110
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Tolkien is the best, end of story. Or is it the beginning?

Well, I only saw TTT twice, but I've had lots of time to think about them since then.

So now, the initial shock of the added scene in question has worn off. Due to this, my strong opinions have lost a small amount of their origional harshness. They have not, in essence, changed.

When I first saw Aragorn fall off a cliff for no apparent reason, I was dismayed, and thought it was stupid and badly done. It didn't fit well with the bits of the real plot. My original reaction was "What the hey!?" said much more rudely. My current opinion is "What the hey!?"

As a side note, the following Arwen dream thingy scene was just an excuse to have Liv Tyler in the movie, since Arwen wasn't in the book at all. Probably part of her contract or something.

Anyway, I kind of like the reunion between Legolas and Aragorn, even though I didin't think his ride to Helm's Deep was strikingly dramatic. I still have this opinion.

Obviously, you hold Peter Jackson in high regard because he put a lot of effort into the movies, the movies are great, etc. etc. and it's totally valid to think that.

I also respect PJ, he has good ideas and is very creative, but this doesn't mean he's perfect. I think he did screw up some key plot points in TTT, but it is still a great movie.

You don't need to justify all the plot changes that PJ made, TTT won't stop being a good movie.

What it comes down to is that Tolkien is a better story teller, especially in telling his own story.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-29-2003 at 03:50 AM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:51 AM   #111
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: Tolkien is the best, end of story. Or is it the beginning?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I also respect PJ, he has good ideas and is very creative, but this doesn't mean he's perfect. I think he did screw up some key plot points in TTT, but it is still a great movie.

You don't need to justify all the plot changes that PJ made, TTT won't stop being a good movie.
thats about the best synopsis on this whole silly movie debate that ive ever heard on this whole site. well spoken.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 10:55 AM   #112
Gwaimir Windgem

I've always been a separatist. The reason: As a movie, PJ's trilogy is great, IMO. As an adaptation, it failed horrible, also IMO. But it is a great movie.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-29-2003, 02:41 PM   #113
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I've always been a separatist. The reason: As a movie, PJ's trilogy is great, IMO. As an adaptation, it failed horrible, also IMO. But it is a great movie.
I wouldn't use the words "failed horribly" but I would accept that PJ's films are far from perfect adaptations of the books. But I would argue that any so-called PERFECT adaptation for the big screen would have been a major critical and boxoffice BOMB.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #114
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Yes, well what they did to Dune was far worse, and what they did to Starship Troopers was pretty bad, too. I think PJ at least gets the feel and the look and the personalities right, except...

Legolas and Gimli would not abandon a fallen Aragorn. Heck, they didn't even WANT to go to Helm's Deep and were only going there because Aragorn was compelled by his sense of duty. At that point in the story, with Gandalf off on his own and Aragorn missing, they might as well have returned to Rivendell.

Also, Faramir is too traditional and respectful to disobey the Council of the Wise. PJ screwed up on that characterisation.
Old 01-29-2003, 03:46 PM   #115
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Strider

i didnt mind the aragorn falling thing,because of how good he looks wet.i think the movie was great as a movie, but i didnt like that some important stuff from the book was left out[/COLOR]

Last edited by The Lady of the Wood : 01-29-2003 at 03:50 PM.
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:01 AM   #116
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey, thanks a lot Insidious Rex!

Well BB, it doesn't look like a lot of people have changed their minds, but isn't that okay?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-30-2003, 03:31 AM   #117
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
But I would argue that any so-called PERFECT adaptation for the big screen would have been a major critical and boxoffice BOMB.
You may not have noticed this, but the critics have hated LOTR ever since it was published. That hasn't stopped it from becoming the most popular work of fiction ever.

The Monsters and the Critics-who cares what they think.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:41 PM   #118
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Well BB, it doesn't look like a lot of people have changed their minds, but isn't that okay?
I was hoping there were more open-minded people here.

Seriously, differences of opinion are good. If we all thought alike, it would be pretty boring here.
But that doesn't mean I still don't think you're DEAD WRONG.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:45 PM   #119
Gwaimir Windgem

Or that we don't think you're dead wrong.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-31-2003, 02:07 AM   #120
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Even if I am dead wrong BB, this doesn't mean I'm not open-minded.

Disagreeing with you should not be equated with closed-mindedness.

Actually I am a very open person, and I've always listened to your point of view respectfully. We've had some excellent debates in the past, and I hope we can still do this in the future. (I think our best one was earlier in "What people think of Two Towers (*SPOILERS*)" )

But enough of arguing about arguing, let's debate about what really matters: the book-to-movie transition of Tolkien's TTT!

I think our main point of contention is scenes that were changed from the original book. More specifically, I have issues with scenes where I felt the spirit of the book was lost.

I felt Aragorn's fall diverted too far off Tolkien's intended path.

Possibly, this scene is a subtle representation of an origional book scene. If not, what about this particullar scene makes it not too different from the book BB?

What does everyone think?
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-31-2003 at 03:56 AM.