Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #101
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

yes, well, 3 cards for ONE player is unusual !!
Ah, I hadn't realised Simunic got yellow carded a THIRD time!

BoP: why thank'ee. I'm pleasantly astonished.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:20 PM   #102
Janny
The Blobbit

*sings* Advance Australia Fair...

The BBC had exclusive rights to both the Australia and the Brazil match and I think they just wanted to show as much Brazil as possible. The highlights of Australia/Croatia was much more interesting.

(I don't understand the cultural relationship between Croatia and Oz... why was thismatch significant? )

France are just about to go through... undeservedly I feel.

Hey! Khamul you fellow Pommie you!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #103
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Since the US isn't in it, as I said, I'm for France. YAY!!!!
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #104
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
(I don't understand the cultural relationship between Croatia and Oz... why was thismatch significant? )
Where'd you hear about a cultural relationship? I'm not sure about that. As far as I know, the match was significant cause we needed a draw to qualify for the 2nd round, and Croatia needed a win I suppose.

Our usual goalie, Schwarzer, and the the one who'd played yesterday, Kalac, were both performing poorly in practice. So it's said Hiddink chose Kalac to play instead, because Kalac's of Croatian background so it may have given some kind of advantage to the Socceroos. Clearly it didn't, because much of Australia is quite unhappy with Kalac's performance.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #105
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

is there not a very large Croatian population in Oz?

Also 2 players on the pitch could have played for each nation, both trained at the aussie footie academy, one chose croatia, one chose the Aussies.

on an educational sidenote: anyone into learning their three R's?

.... as tuahgt by Dubya and Graham Poll ...

.................................................. ..

so, the big fat man scored?

mmm...still think he is a liability to Brazil though .... i think ideally they would have him on the bench .... trouble is there's no room for anyone else with that approach....

So, a good team can hold the argies heh?

The dark horse the czechs went out at the first hurdle!!

Well done Ghana!!

Unlucky USA!

GO Aussies!

France v spain to add EDDY! (er , i mean Gaffer)

welcome aboard the beer train Khamul!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-24-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:47 AM   #106
Janny
The Blobbit

Hey Butterbeer Indeed 'chubby' did score for the Brazilians, but he's not the Brazilian striker that's annoying me. The other one, Adriano, appears to have something dangling from his right leg that doesn't seem to work, bless him. Watch his right foot. It doesn't do anything, ever. After a while it becomes highly frustrating! If I were a manager, I would suggest to one of my defenders who doesn't have a moral problem with that kind of thing, just to stand on his left foot. Not out of cruelty or anything, I'd just like to see if the right one could do anything...

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #107
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... email the BBC and suggest a cu infocus tracking camera on his right foot for their interactive games!

wotcha Janny!
Old 06-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #108
Janny
The Blobbit

Don't even get me started on the BBC's interactive service! My TV's red button blinking well [/posh English PG-13 obcenity] turns the TV off. Good idea though!

So, Germany against Sweden, eh? The prize: the chance to be whacked by the Argentinians in the quarter-finals. I was rather hoping for a Germany vs Italy match... or rather a Klinsmann vs Lippi match. I maintain that the Italians won't be the Aussies. *refrains Waltzing Matilda*

Yes, don't tell anyone, but we rather like Germany in our house, huge social faux pas though it be. You see, when he was much younger and had much longer hair, Mr Jurgen Klinsmann played very well at a little known London club called Tottenham Hotspur...

Old 06-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #109
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Hooray for Beckham! Lucky fellow gets the winning goal and to be married to Posh.

I hate that if the Netherlands pulls through against Portugal, they'll have to play England and one of my two remaining teams will get eliminated. Oh well.

Here's a question, and I apologize if this is common knowledge, but is the grass cut in lines they way it is, not only to look pretty, but also to help the officials on the sides judge if someone is offside?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #110
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

P.S. -- The referee for the Dutch/Portugal game is terrible. I don't know much about football, but even I can tell he's horrible.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #111
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Congrats to England. But you better play better against Portugal, or there'll be some slaughtering...

Speaking of which, today's game between the Netherlands and Portugal was a pure one (albeit of a different kind), and not only because of the referee. Though I agree he wasn't exactly top-notch...
Quote:
Here's a question, and I apologize if this is common knowledge, but is the grass cut in lines they way it is, not only to look pretty, but also to help the officials on the sides judge if someone is offside?
Yup, believe so. Part of the reason, at least.

Last edited by Falagar : 06-25-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:19 AM   #112
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

That was quite possibly the worst refereeing EVER.

It all works out well for England, tho, since half the Portuguese team are now banned for one match.

A chance for revenge for 2004? Beckham to score with a penalty, Ricardo to miss?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #113
Janny
The Blobbit

Bah! *kicks something heavy* Top notch 93rd minute 'simulation' from the Italians there.

I still think Portugal will beat England, just because England play so, so poorly. Of course, we're just appeasing the Scots.

I'm sure there's some Fifa directive against linesmen... opps... assistant referees using those lines for making decisions.
Yes, those lines are useful, but not manditory. Diamond shapes, cross hatching and concentric circles around the centre spot are also popular.

Old 06-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #114
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

i prefer the Linesman's officially approved hampton court maze approach ... a bugger for the groundsman unless he's had a few whiskeys mind ...

so ...unlucky the aussies!

nah ...we owe em' portugese - and big phil three times over!

yes- nice Call Janny - i am impressed! ...we are merely appeasing the scots - god bless em one and all!

so ...just one cornetto? ...just one peformance? ... the odds ARE getting shorter we may actually play some football ...

.... end of the day, we gonna keep fluking it ... i ain't gonna moan!!

best, BB
Old 06-27-2006, 04:30 AM   #115
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

England are looking good. OK, so they haven't played a really strong side yet but they are getting better with each game. Towards the end of the last game Rooney was still going at it and showing signs of being back to his old self.

I think you will beat Portugal 2-0 or 2-1, then get humped by Brazil in the semis.

Shame about Australia though.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #116
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

for the sake of (and the name of) Sir Nobby Stiles (...ya don'ts a mention 'is 1966 piles ... ) !!! and all his angelic little minions (jimmy greaves, alan ball etc)

.. yes, ... IF we can get the ball to his feet!!!!!

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-27-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #117
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh Janny!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #118
Janny
The Blobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
...then get humped by Brazil...
This is a technical term?!

Hey Butter, my dear Beer, I'm afraid I have no earthly idea what you're talking about!

France beat Spain 3-1 Good grief! I did not call that.
Brazil beat Ghana 3-0. I did call that. I'm sure you're all impressed!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #119
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Go France! A repeat sweep! a repeat sweep! Let's do it!
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #120
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

to hump .... 11 on 11 in on-pitch sex?

..yeah sounds like yer average footie ex pro commentator kinda comment .... but then again the gaffer is Scottish ....

(kinda rules out the ex pro footy thing huh? )

yes, getting the ball to rooney's feet seems too complicated for Sven, Stevie "wonder" Maclaren ( the blind leading the blind ) and de team boyz too, sadly!

is elfhelm the recreation of joan of arc?

sweep ... very cool for cats ...

the sweeney's doing ninety .....