Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-24-2002, 12:59 AM   #101
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Many people believe in magic. To this day, people still do blood sacrifices and try to channel spirits. I think its rediculous, but many people do believe in magic and such. If you want examples go to Salem, MA or watch John Edwards.
Thats why the world is declining...........
Old 08-24-2002, 07:18 PM   #102
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
i belive in magic,but not in the flashy kind.i mean,the gift of life is magical.you might not bealbbe to touch magic,but it is there.and stop dissing kids.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 10:52 PM   #103
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by barrelrider110
I don't think he intended to label LoTR as an evil work. Mr. Cloud is entitled to his opinion.
I disagree. Having glanced over the article again, it appears to me that he is labelling LotR as occult and therefore evil. He also finds fault with Tolkien for being Catholic, clearly equating Catholicism with occultism. Having been an Evangelical Christian who converted to Catholicism, I find his attitude slightly idiotic. Fools are certainly welcome to their opinions, but I don't have to pay any attention to them.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 11:44 PM   #104
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hear! Hear!

(Nobody had better start a debate on which "hear" that is supposed to be! If it's good enough for tolkien, it's good enough for me.)
Old 08-25-2002, 10:24 AM   #105
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover

I disagree. Having glanced over the article again, it appears to me that he is labelling LotR as occult and therefore evil. He also finds fault with Tolkien for being Catholic, clearly equating Catholicism with occultism. Having been an Evangelical Christian who converted to Catholicism, I find his attitude slightly idiotic. Fools are certainly welcome to their opinions, but I don't have to pay any attention to them.
I agree with you on that.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:50 PM   #106
Allorien
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil oh my good god! O.O

Jeez. Some people, hey??? They think that unless a book is titled "The Holy Bible" it's of the devil (mind you, that is only some, like that guy. I'm not saying ALL christians/catholics are like that) Man, that guy was a jackpot.
Oh did anyone read his assessment of Harry Potter? (I know it' kinda off-topic, but it's on the same site we're talking about) Well J.K. Rowling is just as much of a Satan-Worshipping demon as a devout Catholic man who converted CS Lewis to Christianity. Jeez some people!!!!
Hey lets all go burn our Tolkien books and movies because although they are about good defeating evil, small beings changing the future, because some people have found Christian stuff in them, and because the man who wrote them was himself a catholic they are EVIL. Just cuz some moron says so.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:17 PM   #107
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider hear hear

There are alot of people like that. But it doesen't mean all christians beleive that. Course burning a book won't get rid of everyones opinions that like the books.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:45 AM   #108
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Re: hear hear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
There are alot of people like that. But it doesen't mean all christians beleive that. Course burning a book won't get rid of everyones opinions that like the books.
Good point. Even if they would ban books like LotR *shiver* that wouldn't make us dislike them or think they are immoral.
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:46 PM   #109
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Hey, is it okay if I e- mailed whoever wrote that and gave him this page? Did anyone do that yet? That is of course if he has a thing on his page so that you can email him!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 05:27 PM   #110
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

No, Entmoot cannot allow that.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:52 PM   #111
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

okay, sorry

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:05 AM   #112
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Whoa, I'm not going to get angry about this fellow's article because it was so poorly written.
He forgot that Gandalf is an "angel", not a wizard. The word "wizard" was used to reflect the English translation of Maiar. It was the closest translation possible.

The only witch would be Galadriel, whom Boromir was afeared of. She performs a divination. That in itself is done by many Catholics, although they call it entertainment these days. (See astrology, tarot, party games.) Occult might descibe some things, like the Balrogs, but it does not really account for anything else. Indeed, when Sam asks the Elves "Are they magic cloaks?" The Elves laugh at Sam. Magic is not magic, it is science to them, or traditional crafts.
Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 01:49 PM   #113
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

Grrrrr.... curse them.....Grrrrr....
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:57 PM   #114
Tar-Palantir
Hobbit

[I'm won't even say what I think of people like this and the bible.]

I hope you aren't making the mistake of thinking people like this represent what the Bible is about. There are idiots in every circle. Wouldn't you agree?

I'm a conservative, evangelical Christian. I also think David Cloud is an idiot. And I'm reading THE HOBBIT to my six year old. Does that make you feel any better?
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:59 PM   #115
madeyejay
Hobbit

I think it is very funny when people talk about things being works of the devil or something like that. People like to make too much out of things. Being a big HP fan you hear many of the same things. To me, unless a book is specifisly speaking out about your religion, then don't be so offensive. Take things for what they are. Just because something does not praise your "GOD" or express the truth in your faith, does not mean it is the work of some horned red creature with a long pointed tail.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:08 PM   #116
Tar-Palantir
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by madeyejay
I think it is very funny when people talk about things being works of the devil or something like that. People like to make too much out of things. Being a big HP fan you hear many of the same things. To me, unless a book is specifisly speaking out about your religion, then don't be so offensive. Take things for what they are. Just because something does not praise your "GOD" or express the truth in your faith, does not mean it is the work of some horned red creature with a long pointed tail.
You're preaching to the choir here I think. (grin)
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:43 PM   #117
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
im a loyal Christian,but i read tons of books like LOTr.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:06 AM   #118
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Have you ever wondered how much these close-minded people miss in the world? I mean it's their own fault, but to go around condemning people to hell is to live a very graceless life. and that's what the christian faith is all about. He reminds me of the story of two men praying in the temple. the first recognizes his sin, and prays, "O LORD, have mercy on me, for I am a sinful man." The second man and says, "O LORD, I thank you that you have not made me like the wretch who is here beside me." can you be more arrogant?

"Christianity of sorts" what does he mean by that? You either are a Christian, or you are not.

*shakes head*

I recently stumbled onto a website that called CS Lewis the "devils wisest fool", and was all about how evil CS Lewis was (mentions something about drinking and smoking as well, as if that automatically condemns one to hell), and (believe it or not) how the Chronicles of Narnia will lead your children into devil worship. I'd post the link, but I did a search, and a lot of the links are broken, so I won't bother. anyway, the main thing he references for the Narnia thing is Silanus (sp?) and Bacchus in Prince Caspian
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:45 AM   #119
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

LOL! C.S. Lewis leading people to hell. That's rich .

Oh, but crickhollow, it is possible to be a Christian-of-sorts. There are people who say they're Christian, but who aren't firm in their faith and who don't have a personal relationship with Jesus. There are plenty of people like that, unfortunately, and it is such people as that that cause trouble for Christianity as a whole. Some of them are hard nosed prigs, like the one who posted this message about LoTR, while others don't set any good example, but calling themselves Christians, proceed to do whatever the rest of the world does so long as it feels good for them.

Anyway, that's out of topic. Simply a side-note.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 10-23-2002 at 02:55 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:43 AM   #120
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

email

A while back I very POLITELY and PATIENTLY sent him an email explaining that I am a strong Christian but that I have studied Tolkien probably more extensively than he, and I explained the Maiar thing. He never emailed me back. Fools don't like to be corrected...
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote