Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2002, 10:38 PM   #101
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Yay, I just saw it, THREE DAYS AFTER IT FREAKIN CAME OUT! Stupid shops didn't get it in until today. The extra scenes at Lothlorien were great and I love when Galadriel laughed. The scene where Aragorn hit the pillow at Lothlorien make me and my sister laugh for five minutes. We thought Aragorn had cracked, until we rewound the tape. I thought the bit where Gandalf recited the words on the ring in the language of Mordor wasn't done well. What is the day the the life of a Hobbit thing? I got the VHS version and all it has is the movie. I suppose the Australian release is different. Well, I have the chance to win a trip to the New Zealand premiere of the TT and a chance to meet the stars!
Old 11-14-2002, 10:42 PM   #102
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

*explodes from stress of waiting*
You lucky little- Cass! If I'm really lucky I could get it tonight - really lucky - but I might be able to get it this weekend.
I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:40 PM   #103
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Finally got mine. (See Happy Thread) Turns out Wal-Mart had it since Tuesday but it had been stuck on a back shelf. I've only watched the first disc, but it's amazing. I can't wait until tomorrow to see the rest of it.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #104
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, I meandered into whitcoules, brought the Extended Edition - no, NOT the collectors set - and Blackadder 4. Now, if you don't mind, I've got some serious Blackadder watching to do.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 PM   #105
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

BlackAdder 4?? *seethes jealousy* my old VHS copies finally bit the bullet

Stick the kettle on I'll be over in 20mins

Now, which way to NZ?

Khamul....how can you wait until tomorrow?.......that sounds like self-inflicted torture to me.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:04 AM   #106
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Khamul....how can you wait until tomorrow?.......that sounds like self-inflicted torture to me.
Ah, it's not that bad. The new and extended scenes have blown me away and the thoughts about what's waiting for me on the second disc is going to help me get through school tomorrow. And then I've got all night to watch it in its entirety and to plunge into the Appendices. I'm sure you wanted to know all that.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 04:59 AM   #107
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I'm still waiting for the stores here to start selling it. Grr.....

But as an aside, I'm starting to imagine myself locked in my room for 2 days in about 3 yrs from now and watching FOTR: Extended, TTT: Extended, ROTK: Extended and Star Wars Ep. I to VI.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 04:16 PM   #108
Biscitboy
Sapling

Collector's Edition

Well, it took a few days to arrive, but DAMN! Yes, the $80.00 collector's edition will set you back, but the Argonuath bookends are COOL! Weta did a awesome job. And think about it this way, you are paying Peter Jackson, and he deserves it! Heck, buy both versions! Convince the studios that Peter is a god, and maybe they'll pay him to make more movies, starting with the Hobbit! I will divest myself of worldly possesions to join the Church of Peter!!
Biscitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:04 PM   #109
BeardofPants
the Shrike

time for the BoP review (whine)...

The bookends are tacky, so glad I didn't go for the collectors set. An extra $50NZ for tacky bookends??? Sheesh. The things people will buy.

The beginning of the extended version was, I thought, very muddled, and felt to me to be very badly editted in. The SBs felt too contrived, and I would have been happier if there had at least been a confrontation. The Gandalf blackspeech section at Rivendell was a bit... odd, but okay, the section where frodo didn't know which way to go, was either very cute, or extremely tiresome. I can't decide which. The green dragon scene was a nice touch. The midgewater scene a welcome addition. I wish there had been more of the elves going west scenes, but I'm glad that something had made it in. I adored the gift giving scenes, and I thought that the way PJ carried it off was very well done. I especially loved how coy Gimli got. The scene where Boromir tried to touch the ring at Rivendell was laughable. I didn't like how they made out that Aragorn was trying to avoid his heritage. Overall, the extended scenes probably improved the movie somewhat, but most of them just didn't work for me.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:09 PM   #110
olsonm
Elf Lord

Re: time for the BoP review (whine)...

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
The bookends are tacky, so glad I didn't go for the collectors set. An extra $50NZ for tacky bookends??? Sheesh. The things people will buy.
What makes you think that they're tacky? Do you feel all bookends are tacky, or just these ones (which you don't seem to have examined closely)?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:09 PM   #111
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Now, which way to NZ?
Left. Bwahahaha! (Sos, just noticed the allusion to the extended version. )
Old 11-15-2002, 08:54 PM   #112
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Left. Bwahahaha! (Sos, just noticed the allusion to the extended version. )

I certainly agree that the Aragorn denying his heritage and the Boromir grasping for the ring at the Council scenes did not work but the extra scenes which portrayed the characters closer to Tolkien (Gimli's abashment in the gift-giving etc) covers a lot of sins ......but not all of them.......threads a plenty to discuss them

Beatallica
Old 11-15-2002, 11:00 PM   #113
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Now that I thought about it, I think the extended edition is somewhat dissapointing. The I prefer the orignal start, I don't think that Bilbo narrating worked. I also didn't like the added scenes in the council of Elrond. And I still don't understand why Aragorn hit the pillow in Lothlorien. Gimli wasn't snoring that loudly was he? Sam was only reciting a poem, not making some big announcement. I think I'll have to watch that bit again. The best addition is when they are leaving Rivendell, I love how Frodo asks Gandalf which way it is to Mordor.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:11 PM   #114
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I prefer the orignal start, I don't think that Bilbo narrating worked.
I kept thinking it was like he was narrating a hobbit doco or something.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:20 PM   #115
olsonm
Elf Lord

I like the new opening. I never liked the opening before. It felt out of context and disjointed, now I know why.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:59 PM   #116
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

Oh my gosh, I loved the extended version. I preordered it from walmart.com , and it finally came in yesterday. I also got my free LOTR t-shirt, and I actually like it. It says Walmart no where on it, and its cool. Anyway as soon as it came in I watched it, and I love it. I tried to watch it again today, but some of my brothers friends came over, and BROUGHT THEIR COMPUTERS!!!!! and they kicked me out of the room. I took my dvd with me of course, because last time my brothers friends came over they sat on my Harry Potter dvd and broke it. So now I am sitting here on this very old and slow computer wishing I could kick the stupid computer geeks out of my house so I can watch it again, and again, and again....

Oh yeah did anyone watch it with the audio commentaries? I started watching it with the cast one, but it got kinda boring... maybe another day when I'm bored of the actual movie.. wait did I just bored of LOTR? Yeah right!
Old 11-16-2002, 12:05 AM   #117
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I kept thinking it was like he was narrating a hobbit doco or something.
He was he was writing "There and Back Again" (Tolkien stated that the books were narrated to him by B Baggins )

Beatallica
Old 11-16-2002, 12:10 AM   #118
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, really. They got it completely wrong: Where was David Attenborough? He should have been narrating it... and what about hobbit mating rituals?
Old 11-16-2002, 12:14 AM   #119
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Well, really. They got it completely wrong: Where was David Attenborough? He should have been narrating it... and what about hobbit mating rituals?
LOLOL David Attenbourgh in the bedroom........surley Rose would have complained

Beatallica
Old 11-16-2002, 12:21 AM   #120
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who had that thought cross thier minds.